FishyGurl's 125G Tank Diary!!! =)

fishygurl

Ok so as you can tell I have a 125 gallon tank. I was trying REALLY hard to not post anything till i got all the equipment for it, but that didn't work out very well...
I guess I am too excited to get it set up after so long of trying to save up money.
So heres a little story, I woke up one christmas morning (best christmas EVER!!!) and I got soo many things I wanted but was kind of sad since I kept saying i wanted a 125-210G but then my mom and her bf got out a camera and turned it to video and made me follow these fish pictures on the floor all the way downstairs (I knew I was gettin a tank at this point and was really excited to see how big it was) so I acted surprised and screamed and danced all over the place just staring at my tank with a big red bow on it (which I kept) So ya...
Thats how I got it and some things happened in "real life" and put a delay to it but now me and my mom are trying to get it up and running (hopefully have almost all my fish in by my next b day which will be the best b day ever!!!) So we ordered I think almost all of the equipment I dont remember what everything is called its on a piece of paper somewhere but I have to find that...Then I will post it and see what you guys think
Right now I have my 72G up and running I only have 2 clownfish, 1 yellow wrasse, and 1 purple firefish which has decided to hide all the time(hopefully it will come out more once i add it to the 125 and will have more fish moving around) it used to come out all the time.
I also have my 125G with a stand and a couple weeks ago we got my metal halides!!! =) I also am switching to reef crystals salt since my instant ocean did not have like any calcium in it and i heard that reef crystals is supposed to be better for reefs? Well this is getting long... Sorry for all you guys that dont like reading a ton of writing at one time!!! I hope I didnt scare anyone away!!! lol im just Soo excited!!!

If you have any questions or comments please post!!!

matt b

I dont feel like reading it all but I saw something about a 125 diary so I am going to watch

fishygurl

Ok well I guess I will start with the Fish Wish List =)
Fish Wish List:
1 Flame Wrasse
2 Clownfish (I have in my 72)
1 Yellow Wrasse (also have in my 72)
1 Yellow Tang
1 Mandarin Dragonet
1 Blue Hippo Tang
1 Blackcap Basslet
1 Sailfin Tang
1 Purple Firefish (and I have in my 72)
3 Yellow Headed Jawfish
See any problems with this? I will make sure and add the sailfin and yellow tang at the same time. I will add the Mandarin when the tank is ready 6 months+ and for the 3 jawfish how deep should the sand bed be? is 2 inches ok?

veni vidi vici

I think for this thread to be properly started we need to see the vid of you following the fish pic.... Congrats! on the new tank.

fishygurl

Originally Posted by Veni Vidi Vici
http:///forum/post/2571772
I think for this thread to be properly started we need to see the vid of you following the fish pic.... Congrats! on the new tank.
lol Im pretty sure I was in my PJ's till we had to leave and go visit family... and im not really supposed to share any personal info...moms too protective
... lol
But anyways thanks! I am hoping to get it up and running in a couple of weeks!
Right now we are waiting for the sump/refugium to come in we got a custom one since all the other sumps that go under the tank had really tiny refugiums, so the custom one has a 16"X16"X16" refugium on it which was bigger than any of the other ones we saw, btw does anyone know what size refugium that is in gallons?

dah-nah

Right now we are waiting for the sump/refugium to come in we got a custom one since all the other sumps that go under the tank had really tiny refugiums, so the custom one has a 16"X16"X16" refugium on it which was bigger than any of the other ones we saw, btw does anyone know what size refugium that is in gallons?
That's almost 18 gallons

dah-nah

According to the Aquarium capacity calculator that I use online 16"x16"x16" works out to;
U.S. gallons: 17.73
U.K. gallons: 14.76
Litres: 67.12

fishygurl

ok so if its almost 18 gallons do you think that is a good size for a refugium for a 125G if its underneath it?

fishygurl

20-30 Tongan Nassarius Snails
10-50 Hermits (how many do you guys think??)
2 Cleaner Shrimp
2 Fire Shrimp
3-5 Peppermint Shrimp(or do you think this would be too many shrimp?)
20 Astrea Snails
A couple Feather Dusters(do you think all the fish wouldnt bother these? What about those smaller ones?)
Red Linkia Star (will be added 6 months + is there anything i should know about it? I will ask again 6 months from now but anything i will need to have in my tank for it?)
Some Clams Maxima maybe some others
And thats all I can think of atm... Any ideas or comments??

fishygurl

I will try to get a picture of it once i can find my camera (I just moved downstairs (so i could be closer to my tank!))
Anyways I found the list of equipment that we will be getting if you guys dont have any better ideas for equipment
Equipment:
Mag Drive 700 x2
Acrylic Refugium with sump
Stealth Heater 200 watt x2
Bulkheads x2
Reef Aragonite Sand (40lb) x3 am i going to need more for the 3 jawfish??
Coralife PC 36 watt light (refugium light)
Hamilton Timers x2
Coralife light suspension kit
eggcrate covered in mesh cloth(for a top of the aquarium)--will this have any chance of being caught on fire or someting from the halides??
We have:
Kent Calcium
125 gallon tank
Stand
Reef crystals
Tunze skimmer
Any other suggestions, ideas, comments,changes are welcome!

fishygurl

Originally Posted by socal57che
http:///forum/post/2573164
How about a pic of the empty tank?
Here are some pics...im not sure if they will turn out or not because i have only posted pics like once or twice on here before, but i am planning on posting many pics when new things happen to this tank

1 the tank
2 a third of the lights
3 the stand (i love how there was no brace inbetween the 2 doors makes it alot easier to get a bigger sump/refugium
4 my purple firefish
5 the clown with more black (i think this one will turn into the female)

fishygurl

here are some more...
1 the 3 fish that i have that are always out
2 the clown without a lot of black (i think this one will be the male)
3 i think my purple firefish looks mad that i caught him out and snapped a few pics =)
4 purple firefish again...im so happy he has come out a lot today again!!!

A

azul1994

Nice fish! Those lights look awesome! This is deffinitely going to be a thread to keep track of.

fishygurl

Originally Posted by azul1994
http:///forum/post/2573912
Nice fish! Those lights look awesome! This is deffinitely going to be a thread to keep track of.

Aww thank you!!! Another person that is gonna watch my thread

UPDATE:
btw(by the way) we are still waiting for the guy at the fish store to call us when the custom sump/refugium is coming in... Along with all the other equipment i mentioned above so if you think i should change anything or just have any comments on the equipment part please post asap!!! post if u have any comments on anything else too though

matt b

Originally Posted by FishyGurl
http:///forum/post/2573886
Here are some pics...im not sure if they will turn out or not because i have only posted pics like once or twice on here before, but i am planning on posting many pics when new things happen to this tank

1 the tank
2 a third of the lights
3 the stand (i love how there was no brace inbetween the 2 doors makes it alot easier to get a bigger sump/refugium
4 my purple firefish
5 the clown with more black (i think this one will turn into the female)
Now thats the stuff a thread needs
Looks GREAT