FishyGurl's 125G Tank Diary!!! =)

fishygurl

Also around the time i got the tank i was supposed to be getting new lights for the 72 but havnt gotten them because i got this tank... So... i have 3 different types of mushrooms in the other tank which look like they are slowly dying or something (which i am assuming is because the lights are REALLY old...) so i was wondering how long do i have to wait once i set up the 125 to be able to put the mushrooms in the other tank? like do i have to wait till it is completly cycled, longer?, shorter? I just hope they dont die...

matt b

Originally Posted by FishyGurl
http:///forum/post/2573953
Also around the time i got the tank i was supposed to be getting new lights for the 72 but havnt gotten them because i got this tank... So... i have 3 different types of mushrooms in the other tank which look like they are slowly dying or something (which i am assuming is because the lights are REALLY old...) so i was wondering how long do i have to wait once i set up the 125 to be able to put the mushrooms in the other tank? like do i have to wait till it is completly cycled, longer?, shorter? I just hope they dont die...

You could try and cycle the 125 pretty fast by adding LR LS and a raw shrimp to kick start the ammonia and then just wait. But most shrooms are pretty hardy so you could add them soon after the cycle. Just make sure they are on the WAY bottom when you do add them cause the huge light change will be a shock

fishygurl

just did some water tests tomorrow i am scheduled to do a water 10-15% water change but here is what i got:
Nitrate 30
Nitrite 0
Alkalinity 300
PH 7.8
Salinity 1.025

fishygurl

Originally Posted by MaTT B
http:///forum/post/2573962
You could try and cycle the 125 pretty fast by adding LR LS and a raw shrimp to kick start the ammonia and then just wait. But most shrooms are pretty hardy so you could add them soon after the cycle. Just make sure they are on the WAY bottom when you do add them cause the huge light change will be a shock
I have heard of people putting something inbetween the tank and lights when u get new fish or coral do you know what this is? So i have to wait for the tank to completly cycle and then i can add the shrooms?

matt b

http:///forum/post/2573976
just did some water tests tomorrow i am scheduled to do a water 10-15% water change but here is what i got:
Nitrate 30
Nitrite 0
Alkalinity 300
PH 7.8
Salinity 1.025
So the 125 is up and running? whats your ammonia?

matt b

http:///forum/post/2573977
I have heard of people putting something inbetween the tank and lights when u get new fish or coral do you know what this is? So i have to wait for the tank to completly cycle and then i can add the shrooms?
I have never done it but I have heard of people getting like window screening. I would wait until the tank to finish cycling BUT if they look like they are on there way out it couldent hurt to try putting them in

fishygurl

Originally Posted by MaTT B
http:///forum/post/2573978
So the 125 is up and running? whats your ammonia?
No the 125 isnt up and running it looks exactly like it does in the pics above the pics with the fish is my 72 gallon which also has the mushrooms it will probably be 1-2 weeks before the sump/refugium and all the equipment comes in and i will be ready to start the tank up.
Just tested the ammonia in the 72 and it is 0 which is also why i think the shrooms are being affected by the REALLY old light since my water seems to be pretty good for 2 weeks of not doing a water change like always, my tanks parameters have pretty much stayed the same ever since i have had it, which i dont see how that could be since i havnt had a skimmer working properly in it (the sumps water level is too low) so in the new sump/refugium the water level is much higher so it will work
I have even thought of putting a bowl of water in the tank to be under the halides till i get it up and running, but when is cycling what would i do with the shrooms? I will try and figure something out for the shrooms otherwise i just hope they do ok for a month or so

fishygurl

Okay the water change will have to wait for tomorrow since i am busy with homework and have agility with my puppy later tonight.
Once again if anyone can help with saying if the equipment is good or bad or if they would change anything and why please do!!! (the equipment is listed on post 15 so no excuses!!!)

kevin34

I have the same exact tank as you. I dont know how old you are but you talked about saving up money for equipment. I know how you feel. I am 16 and it took FOREVER to get my tank going. Cant wait to see this tank evolve.

fishygurl

i just looked at your thread, its looking good! I noticed you were planning on getting a jawfish and i was wondering how much sand you decided to add to your tank? Thanks

fishygurl

Another thing that looks cool is this powerhead i saw that spins around in a circle and to me i would think corals would like this change in flow? I am not saying i would only have these only 1 or 2 along with the rest of my powerheads so what do you guys think about this or anything else on the equipment list???

kevin34

http:///forum/post/2576888
i just looked at your thread, its looking good! I noticed you were planning on getting a jawfish and i was wondering how much sand you decided to add to your tank? Thanks
No problem posting this in my thread too
. Sorry I didnt see it. I was at the Red Sox game all day. My sand bed is about 3.5 inches deep (some parts shallower some parts deeper). I used a little less than 180lbs.

fishygurl

Just called the fish guy and he said that the place that will be making my custom sump/fuge hasnt called back yet...he thinks they are waiting for a new shipment on acrylic to see how much it goes up cuz of the gas prices so i will let u know when we hear from them again...i hope its soon i dont like waiting!!! lol

fishygurl

pretty much =) once we get it running i think soon after it will have all the live rock and live sand in there too!!! =)

fishygurl

ok here is another question
since my live sand will be 3-4 inches (i decided to get more sand for the jawfish) should i get a cucumber to help move the sand? do they eat the good stuff in your sand? i will also probably get anywhere from 20-40 tongan nassarius snails and i dont know if that will be enough movement for the sand to not do more bad then good
if anyone has any other ideas comments etc on anything else for equipment it would be much appreciated!

kevin34

The cucumber may be a bad idea. I am pretty sure that a lot of them are poisonous and if they die they release toxins that can wipe out your tank. I would stick with the nass snails to keep the sand clean.