FishyGurl's 125G Tank Diary!!! =)

fishygurl

Originally Posted by nvsbandit
http:///forum/post/2691568
some rock dwellers will fight each other because they get food the same way so they fight down their competition or so ive read.
the only ones that get medium sized are the mandarin and dragonet, they have completely different diets so i dont think they should fight... all the others stay very small do you think they will get picked on? it is a 125 gallon, so i would imagine they would have enough room to escape..?

fishygurl

ok well my mom wanted fish in my tank so she went out and bought me 5 blue green chromis, so they have been in there for a week or 2 now.. they have been eating great, they kinda scatter around the tank like they dont stay too close for schooling.. but im guessing once i get more fish that swim around and are bigger that they might stick together more??
Also i went to this meeting that we had here and they gave me a whole bunch of free frags to try out and see if they live to see if my tank is ready for corals.. I got 2 frags of this orangish montipora capricornis, 1 frag of scrips green acro, 4 frags of devils hand, 1 frag (which is splitting) of frogspawn, and 1 frag of this green candy cane coral with 3 heads (1 of which is splitting)
i put all the coral frags in last night.. The acro's polyps have been all out last night and today, 2 of the devils hands have around half of their polyps out, the frogspawn came out late last night and early today. and the candy cane i can see some of the skeleton, but i fed it cyclops and mysis so i hope it regrows over the skeleton..
Should i be aware of anything? like what to feed how often, what cant be out of water etc.
Also this guy gave me this snail called a scrutus it is really cool he had tons of them. And i also got a big bag of chaeto for my fuge!

fishygurl

i bought a magnesium test and my mag is low and i believe my calcium is low too. So i bought some calcium to add and magnesium, but i will be buying this 2 part test kit which comes with calcium, alkalinity, and magnesium additives hopefully by friday. I also hope to order 1-2 thousand copepods then too.
We will see though. I just hope all the corals make it.

tvwong

lol I didnt know you had a 125 R as well! haha join the club! I noticed that too lately> young ppl with larger tanks. Im 19

fishygurl

Originally Posted by tvwong
http:///forum/post/2697472
lol I didnt know you had a 125 R as well! haha join the club! I noticed that too lately> young ppl with larger tanks. Im 19
ya! your tank is awesome! i cant wait to get my tank more stocked

fishygurl

Ok well i went to a store yesterday and got some glue.. and while i was there i happened to pick up 5 frags.. =) So i just added this orange ricordia with a bright green mouth, a blue mushroom, a small rock with small bright red mushrooms, a medium sized rock with green star polyps, and some sort of bright green (not neon) acro.
All of them are doing good since yesterday. Today i got a small pulsing xenia frag which is doing ok.
I placed an order yesterday and i will be getting:
(50 snails)
20 astrea snails
10 tongan nassarius snails
5 nerite snails
5 margaritta snails
10 cerith snails
(3 fish)
Lawnmower blenny
yellow headed jawfish
panda goby
(5 corals)
mushroom pack (4)- 2 assorted mushrooms and 1 ricordia florida and 1 ricordia yuma
button polyps (free with order)
I was really happy i caught the site i ordered it from when all the clean up crew had a major sale!!! (most snails were 47 cents each! the tongan nassarius were 1.47!)
So i got all of this order which i think is coming tomorrow for the price of what i was going to be paying for just the snails!!! =) so im pretty happy! lol
**I keep bugging my mom to find her camera and she is going to start REALLY searching for it these next couple days till she finds it so hopefully i can show you guys a whole bunch of pics! (since now i have 5 soon to be 8 fish, and 15 soon to be 20 corals, and a whole bunch of snails to clean up all this algae in my tank!)
As of right now for the whole stocklist is:
5 b/g chromis
5 tongan nassarius snails
1 astrea snail
1 candycane/trumpet coral (green)
1 scripps green acro
1 bright (not neon) green acro
1 orange with green mouth ricordia
4 devils hands
2 brown monti caps
1 blue mushroom
1 small rock of small red mushrooms
1 medium rock of green star polyps
1 pulsing xenia
1 frogspawn

fishygurl

Fish Wish List:
5 blue/green chromis
1 Yellow Headed Jawfish
1 lawnmower blenny
1 panda goby
2 Clownfish (I have in my 72)
1 Yellow Wrasse-
1 Blackcap Basslet
1 Blue Hippo Tang
1 Yellow Tang
1 neon goby (those black and blue ones)
1 flame wrasse-- or should i get this after the tangs?
2 bangaii cardinals
1 Mandarin Dragonet

hambone

Originally Posted by FishyGurl
http:///forum/post/2579237
ok here is another question
since my live sand will be 3-4 inches (i decided to get more sand for the jawfish) should i get a cucumber to help move the sand? do they eat the good stuff in your sand? i will also probably get anywhere from 20-40 tongan nassarius snails and i dont know if that will be enough movement for the sand to not do more bad then good
if anyone has any other ideas comments etc on anything else for equipment it would be much appreciated!
Fishy, you sound really excited! I'm happy for you. Have you considered a goby to move the sand? I have "orange diamond" gobies in both of my tanks and they do an awesome job. They constantly turn the sand, and the way they aquascape your tank looks great too. They don't leave the sand flat...it has hills and valleys and lots of hiding places under rock. Check them out! Good luck from NC!

fishygurl

Originally Posted by hambone
http:///forum/post/2704343
Fishy, you sound really excited! I'm happy for you. Have you considered a goby to move the sand? I have "orange diamond" gobies in both of my tanks and they do an awesome job. They constantly turn the sand, and the way they aquascape your tank looks great too. They don't leave the sand flat...it has hills and valleys and lots of hiding places under rock. Check them out! Good luck from NC!
i have thought about these a lot but since i am getting a jawfish i dont think they will get along...

and thanks i am very excited ive had the tank since christmas and im finally getting it up and going! (and so far all the corals i have placed in there have survived! *knocks on wood*)

hambone

Originally Posted by FishyGurl
http:///forum/post/2704345
i have thought about these a lot but since i am getting a jawfish i dont think they will get along...

and thanks i am very excited ive had the tank since christmas and im finally getting it up and going! (and so far all the corals i have placed in there have survived! *knocks on wood*)
Cool, well I'll definitely keep an eye on your progress. Good luck!

fishygurl

Originally Posted by rushprop
http:///forum/post/2704623
Cant wait to see some pics.
me too.....
lol but i get to see the real thing so its not so bad
but i wish my mom would find her camera already....
Update: Just got my whole order in the tank.. All the snails seem to be doing good, the conchs are AWESOME!!! i love watching them eat with their elephant trunk that they use to like vacumm up algae!
As far as the panda goby ive found him 3 times (2 times if you dont include when i first dropped him in.. and he is sooooooooooo small only half an inch!!! im kinda afraid he will get sucked into the drilled part of my tank or something... but so far hes been doing good..
As far as the lawnmower he is either frozen in shock or very trusting because when i was dropping in the snails my hands were going like 2 inches away from him and he didnt move he just sat and watched me, i already love him. And he is BIG like 4-5 inches.. (i wish he was more like 3) But he is cool and has started picking at the rocks in the tank (my chromis are sooooo freaked out of him and stay in a REALLY tight school all flared up, its funny!)
As far as the jawfish i only saw him for the first 5-10 minutes after i dropped him in. Then he went into the back of the tank behind the rockwork (i hope he doesnt make his tunnels back there... There is only 1 inch in the back and about 3 inches in front of the rock work) He was about 2-3 inches.
I got a orange ricordia and a green yuma also i got this bumpy mushroom that is purple-red and i got a mushroom that is smooth that is like green and orange paint pretty well mixed in. And the free item i got some button polyps. All the corals seem to be doing good. The bumpy mushroom however was spilling out guts in the bag, and a little bit once i put in the tank, then it has stopped, so idk if it is going to make it or not.

fishygurl

ok well after closer inspection the bumpy mushroom that is red-purple ish i believe is anoth yuma.
I still havnt seen the panda goby at all since the third time i saw it yesterday.
I saw my jawfish this morning. he has started his building project!
I promise to take a bunch of pics as soon as my mom finds her camera...

fishygurl

well my mom found her camera and i took some pictures of my tank plus the crab i caught out of my rock. I will take more pictures once she finds her cameras battery charger and then post them on here when she finds the connector to get the pics up on the computer...
i was close to having pics for all of you...