Fluffin or churning your sand???

scopus tang

Hey Red, is the same 46gal tank that has the engineer goby in it? If so, I wouldn't worry about it, because as soon as that goby gets used to the tank and starts getting some size too him, he'll take care of churning the sand for you.

naclh2o nut

Yea, the engineer goby will move more sand then you can. They are neat to watch, word of cation- Have all rock on the bottom! If there is sand under the rock your rock work will also be sifted(shifted).

sepulatian

What kind of sand bed do you have? How deep is it? If it is a shallow bed, under three inches, then just get a sand sifting fish or sand sifting inverts. Nassarus snails and/or a sand sifting goby will keep the sand bed nice.

don trinko

As a general statment in a salt water tank you do not want to churn the sand. In salt water anarobic bacteria form deep in the sand. They convert nitrates back to nitrogen.
In freshwater it is different. If anerobic bacteria form it produces hydrogen sulfide. In large amounts it is poisonous to the fish. This does not happen with gravel but will happen with fine sand. (Caused by lack of water circulation and decaying matter.) Don T.

woody189

I have a question. How do you keep a powerhead on the bottom of the tank w/o it blowing sand all over the place?
Every time I try this, 1 of 3things happen.
1) sand goes everywhere
2) it's not doing anything to the sand
3) it seems fine, but when I come back later, there is a deep impression of where the PH was blowing the sand. All the sand is blown off the floor in that 1 specific area.
Sorry if this is threadjacking.

meowzer

You could put the powerhead mid tank...and point diagonally towards the sand...so it is blowing at it...not on it...hope that makes sense

woody189

Originally Posted by meowzer
http:///forum/post/3017155
You could put the powerhead mid tank...and point diagonally towards the sand...so it is blowing at it...not on it...hope that makes sense
YEa, thanks. I'm thinking that when I Think it's not working, it actually is. It's probably blowing the detritus and stuff, but leaving the heavier sand behind.
That's actually how I have it now, but it just doesn't seem
like it's working.