Form text error!!!

geoj

What is being done to fix this error?

<span style="display: none">htr test type <span style="display: none"> </span> </span></p>
When I type or cut and paste I will get this error and the form will display the text with this style display:none please fix

Thanks, GeoJ

monsinour

are you using the keyboard shortcuts or the right mouse button? What operating system and internet browser are you using?

geoj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monsinour http:///forum/thread/383621/form-text-error#post_3356543
are you using the keyboard shortcuts or the right mouse button? What operating system and internet browser are you using?
Win xp, IE8, and the mouse.
Ok, now that you have the info I will wait for you to tell me it is my software and not the administrators failure to make the site backward compatible...

monsinour

Its kinda your software. When using this message board system, as wonderful as it is (cough), it wants to access your clipboard and asks your permission to do so. If you tell it no, or have your security settings set to a level that it denies access to your clipboard, you wont be able to use the mouse for copy/paste here on the boards.
Work around :
Use the keyboard shortcuts from here on out and you wont have a problem at all. Select what you want to copy and then press ctrl+C on your keyboard. Then position the cursor where you want to paste what you have copied and press ctrl+V on the keyboard. This will allow you to copy/paste without a problem and the software of the boards will not need access to your clipboard.

geoj

Ok, so what is being done to fix this error!
You are losing of members because of this error. You can't expect someone to ask how to cut and past in to a form window, It should just work..

monsinour

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoJ http:///forum/thread/383621/form-text-error#post_3356681
Ok, so what is being done to fix this error!
You are losing of members because of this error. You can't expect someone to ask how to cut and past in to a form window, It should just work..
well, to fix it you need to lower your security settings or clear your cookies and answer yes when it asks you next time. It depends on what you did as to what way will fix it.

geoj

I under stand what you are saying but that does not fix the issue. The issue is the loss of members because the website does not function...
There is no other web form that I use that has this error it is specific to this site.

monsinour

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoJ http:///forum/thread/383621/form-text-error#post_3356685
I under stand what you are saying but that does not fix the issue. The issue is the loss of members because the website does not function...
There is no other web form that I use that has this error it is specific to this site.
While I agree that the message board software chosen by SWF.com is not the worlds greatest, the problem lies with your machine and your software. I know you are not the only one who uses the crutch that is the right mouse button on this site. Take the proper steps to fix this on your end and all will be like it should. start by clearing out cookies and answer the question with a yes. If that doesnt fix it, then go to your security settings and lower them. But only lower a little, too much will be bad news.

meowzer

I have to use cntrl v to past all the time......would I prefer not to.....OF COURSE
so MONSI you are saying there is a way to fix this,......Where do I look....

beth

Administrator
Staff member
I just have to click on the popup box asking me to approve the access. I'm not crazy about this added step, but its not a major big deal. It's basically just a security step.
Thanx, Monsinour, for your help on this.

cranberry

The added step is aggravating as heck on a laptop and no mouse .Control V doesn't work when trying to post a pic from photobucket.

monsinour

To fix:
If you have tried to clear cookies and this didnt work follow these steps
1. Have IE8 open and click on tools -> internet options
2. click on the security tab.
3. Be sure interent is selected and click the button for custom level
4. Scroll til you see this entry labeled "Allow programmatic clipboard access"

Choose prompt or enable. I suggest prompt as you dont want a web page to always access your clipboard. If you dont want to always click ok, choose "enable" and then be careful about where you browse and what is in your clipboard.
5. Click ok
6. Click ok
Close and reopen IE. Give it a shot.

geoj

Is this the policy of saltwaterfish.com that all visitors must lower the security on there browser to make the sites forms function?
I would not advise that, think of the lawsuits if someone did have some issue of confidential information lost and damages were suffered.
What I don't get is why every other website that has a big txt form works no matter what my security and this one does not. If I was the administrator of this site I would ask myself who am I paying or did pay to set this up and how am I going to make them fix there errors. I under stand that this may be more complicated that I may know, yet when you are forced to click the source button and delete the script that is automatically created in error 3-5 times just to type this message you just

cranberry

Lawsuits? After you voluntarily changed your settings to see a free site? No wonder we're known as a sue happy country.

geoj

I just tested it took some time but I still get the same <span style="display: none">htr test type <span style="display: none"> </span> </span></p> after a copy and paste.

geoj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cranberry http:///forum/thread/383621/form-text-error#post_3356855
Lawsuits? After you voluntarily changed your settings to see a free site? No wonder we're known as a sue happy country.
Money is money, and if I tell someone to do something as a company and they receive damages the average Joe will expect compensation. Ba It just did it again and I forgot what else I had to rant about .

monsinour

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoJ http:///forum/thread/383621/form-text-error#post_3356853
Is this the policy of saltwaterfish.com that all visitors must lower the security on there browser to make the sites forms function?
I would not advise that, think of the lawsuits if someone did have some issue of confidential information lost and damages were suffered.
What I don't get is why every other website that has a big txt form works no matter what my security and this one does not. If I was the administrator of this site I would ask myself who am I paying or did pay to set this up and how am I going to make them fix there errors. I under stand that this may be more complicated that I may know, yet when you are forced to click the source button and delete the script that is automatically created in error 3-5 times just to type this message you just

Well, your the only one expressing complaint about this problem. 1 versus how many other members? Not that your unimportant, but I would not change anything for just 1 user. Besides, a work around has been provided and to people in tech support, that is as good as it gets. Time to get your dexterity up and start using the ctrl key more.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cranberry
http:///forum/thread/383621/form-text-error#post_3356855
+1

beth

Administrator
Staff member
I work for the state of FLA and was having similar problems with my work laptop not allowing me to open an essential web-based program that we use. Our IT went through a very similar altering security process as Monsinour is now suggesting. The laptop has on it and accesses highly confidential material, yet, IT didn't seem terribly concerned by this little modification to security. Sometimes Systems have to be tweaked to work.
Also, what Monsinour is only suggesting to you is not a security risk for your computer, but, rather a tweaking of you setting so that IE best works to meet your needs. Anything that is advised to you in any forum is a suggestion, which you can do with what you please.
SWF.com has spent the last few mos working out the kinks to the new forum, but I'm not sure we can address a single person's problem if you don't want to tweak IE from your end. Anyway, SWF.com can respond to this.