found a good lfs in monmouth, nj

djmpj

I am also an ex-Tropaquarium customer. We bought our whole set up there. Spent a small fortune in that store. We used to buy our premade Saltwater there till they sold us garbage that turned our tank. We went right back the next day and demanded they test their own water in front of us. Then claimed they had just discovered a problem with their RODI unit and were having it repaired.
Went in two weeks later and bought (1) 5 gallon jug of the SW. Went home and tested it and it was still bad. Called and was told it wasn't fixed yet. Then stop selling it!!
Never bought there again. They were expensive and snotty to begin with. But selling their customer water they were fully aware was bad was unforgivable.
DJ

blazehok68

Originally Posted by sharkbait9
This place SUXS. I used to deal w/ this store all the time. Was paying way to much for anything they sell. The also don't use qt or hospital tanks. They use a small none lethal dose of copper in the filtering system, what ever that means. Either you use copper or you don't. They love to sell you a bunch of stuff and then when you have a problem they turn around and sell you a bunch of crap going the other direction. Some how or reason they leave ick fish in the tank and turn the lights off on the bottom row? When i got back into saltwater I bought some lr from them and it was dank no life and bleached white. I go on this forum and see people who bought lr and its got color and life and I’m looking at a tank filled w/dead rock I wanted to buy some green hairy shrooms, they had a piece of rubble rock with a two tiny shrooms and was trying to charge me $69.99 I laughed so hard at the guy i had tears rolling out, and the guy was serious saying that 69.99 was a great deal. When i said its just a frag of a GHM he quickly changed his tone none the less i really would not recommend that place, at least not for people who know what’s going on have a clue to search out the correct answer and just take them at face value. They got a huge chunk of change from me when I had no clue what was going on now if I’m in the area and need some additives like right now, then yes I’ll spend the extra money but if I can wait I’ll buy online a lot of stuff except anything live. Now a days any info you need you can get right online and not he uneducated opinions of a kid just doing his job, and moving products. Also if you buy any test kits look at the dates, they peel the exp date off the sailfert kits. The test that are still good are in the back the exp kits are in front and the tag is peeled off with dust stuck to the glue where the tag was. I am also looking for a new lfs and were I live I have access to RT 9, Rt 18 RT35 and 36 so any one who knows of a good reliable store that don’t stick the knife in your back trying to make a buck, post it. Over all Tropiquarium sux the big one
WOW.....GLAD TO HEAR YOUR OPINION. I KNEW THAT THERE PRICES WERE WAY HIGH, BUT I DIDNT KNOW HOW BAD THE STAFF WAS. THANKS FOR THE INFO. I JUST WENT IN THERE THAT ONE DAY CAUSE I WAS DRIVING BY AND SAW A FISH STORE. I WASNT EXPECTING WHAT I SAW WHEN I WENT IN. BEAUTIFUL STORE, BUT FROM EVERYBODYS INFO, I WILL NOT PURCHASE ANYTHING FROM THERE. THANKS GUYS.
HEY SHARKBAIT, WHERE DO YOU SHOP?

J

jupoc911

oceanariums hours are 11-6 on Sunday and 11-9 Mon-Sat. We have a huge selection of stuff. All typesof colors and very exotic fish such as helfrichi, exquisites, and mystery wrasses. All are very well priced. Definitly cheaper than you will find any where else. All of our shipments come in on Thursday and usually everything is gone by the weekend.

irondog

Hey sharkbait there is a few lfs up north im in union county,one in roselle park 137 off parkway called underwater world this guy been there 30years very very clean fish an corals fish are very health,but he is kinda high in the price which i dont mind cause its quality fish other store is absolultly fish an there in clifton on rt 46 very big selection,a new lfs justed opened 2 months ago 3 blocks from my house in union,this guy has over 200 fish tanks,right in union center he will never last every salt water tank he has there,has at least 1 fish either dead or dieing or has ick,fish are poor looking wants 10.99 for tonga live rock,if your up in this area i would recommand you check out underwater world in roselle park you wont be disapointed he is closed on tuesdays see ya dude

sharkbait9

QUOTE=Jupoc911]oceanariums hours are 11-6 on Sunday and 11-9 Mon-Sat. We have a huge selection of stuff. All types of colors and very exotic fish such as helfrichi, exquisites, and mystery wrasses. All are very well priced. Definitely cheaper than you will find any where else. All of our shipments come in on Thursday and usually everything is gone by the weekend.
Ok I have been dealt with this store a bunch of times. First, one of the guys who works their real cool guy knows his poop hangs on the MB. The problem I have with the store is the fish are on the big side not really an issue with me since I’m converting over to reef. Price wise it goes both ways really some of the live stock prices you can get a better price and quality just as good, if you don‘t mind shopping around and checking out other places. Over all I deal with them I like the staff members (sorry man I forgot your name) that hangs on here, the owner well I’ll leave that one alone, and let others possible patrons be the judge. I go with the o'l adage I’m the customer make me want to shop at your store.
Originally Posted by irondog
Hey sharkbait there is a few lfs up north im in union county,one in roselle park 137 off parkway called underwater world this guy been there 30years very very clean fish an corals fish are very health,but he is kinda high in the price which i dont mind cause its quality fish other store is absolultly fish an there in clifton on rt 46 very big selection,a new lfs justed opened 2 months ago 3 blocks from my house in union,this guy has over 200 fish tanks,right in union center he will never last every salt water tank he has there,has at least 1 fish either dead or dieing or has ick,fish are poor looking wants 10.99 for tonga live rock,if your up in this area i would recommand you check out underwater world in roselle park you wont be disapointed he is closed on tuesdays see ya dude
I will most defiantly check out that store I go up their to the mall with my fiancé so I can shoot over and check it out. Pricing….I mean come on yeah we all know “I have to pay the rent and salaries” and hey that’s fine you own a business to make money no crap but when your charging 69.99 for a FRAG OF A HGM come on. I’m throwing numbers out just for examples lets say online colt coral goes for $40.00 and then 25-40 bucks for s/h that’s 65-80 dollars total. If you try and sell at a price of 99.99 and go and put a sign up saying ……… SALE ON ALL CORAL 89.99, that’s not really a good sale. Being in business for a while before becoming a medic it only makes sense to have a store/brick front and now add internet sales to move more products, not raise the price of your products to make back the money your losing. I personal will shop were I get the best prices and get a good quality product or live stock, loyalty went out the window when most sales people are just pushing a product or stock that has been sitting a little to long and is holding money back. I can’t speak for other stores but for the most part around me from toms river to wood bridge I have spent a nice chuck of change in a lot of stores, why stores and not a store simple. I spend money in all the area stores, so they all make some coin, so maybe they’ll be around when I need something. I used to be loyal but when I spend boat loads of money and you can’t throw me a bone on stupid rock that looks like someone dropped white paint all over it and you have the balls to tell me this is the best rock around and all others will cause ammonia to sky rocked. So, ok I just spent 2 G in your store throw me a bone on the rock and sand, don’t try and stick it deeper in me. it’s a working relationship you help me I’ll help you. Don’t get made at me when you stick it in me and I don’t push back,. with the help of the internet and message boards and phones w/voice recording and cameras, make one wrong move or try and ---- me on something and I’ll bury you all over the internet. No store owner will try and make a customer “theirs” any more. So with lousy customer service or problems, I like to send a truthful public service announcement and as of now tropaquraium has been nuked, not just by me but a few others that have been bent over and did not get a kiss for the effort.

sleasia

Staten Island now has two great fish places. Animal Kingdom is the older more established place on Richmond Avenue. They are a bit more expensive, but always have the most healthy beautiful fish. The other place I go is Reef Fantasy on Victory Boulevard near manor rd. they open late around 11am. They get sold out quickly with reasonable prices, so its a good idea to call and see when they are expecting shipments in. The live rock I got from them gave me tons of copepods and their fish have always been very healthy. They have been open only a year though. Animal kingdom on the other hand has been there forever, with very established tanks and beautiful fish....you'd think you were in a west coast fish store...but you pay more for them.

sleasia

by the way, I went to tropiquarium once in the old days when I used eheims and needed parts quick. I was not impressed with the quality of their fish. The two stores in staten island have much better fish, though not the quantity that tropiquarium had.

J

jupoc911

sharkbait,
The fish we get in are defnitly big because they are what sell. A lot of the businees is dedicated to maintanence and installation. I mean where else can you find a helfrichi firefish for 89 bucks or a Mystery Wrasse for 99 bucks? For a LFS those are some sick prices for those fish. I gurantee we have cheaper prices than tropiquarium in every category except Live rock. The trop has a lemenalia coral for a 130 bucks :scared: I just payed 50 for a neospongode which is a lot more colorful than the lem tree. My name is Eric by the way. See you around....

sharkbait9

Eric, I’ll try and remember that. Yeah i see what your saying, but in a way is that not limiting you to potential customers and newly curious to the hobby? Kind of liking cutting your throat to save from hanging your self. Any way your right some of the prices most defiantly rock out and compete with other lfs. I defiantly like the store and hope great success in growing, only to help accommodate me and my needs with sand shifters and stuff like that. In any business you do what works.

J

jupoc911

remember sand shifters are bad for a dsb. HAHA.. We actually got a bunch of blue spotted jawfish. I am not sure of the price.

bri23520

does any body know the phone # or location of oceanariums in marlboro, I cant find the listing for it anywhere!

J

jupoc911

its located on rt 9 north in marlboro. The number is 732-536-6366.

bri23520

jupoc do you know where oceanarium is on rt9, whats it by I havent been up there in a while, is it anywhere near oasis ford? That second # you gave me was for a chinese restraunt. I though you worked there? :notsure:

misfit

its before Oasis Ford and the onramp for Rt 18. Its right before the big plaza with Kohls and micky D's. its in a small plaza with a hair and nail salon.

cowfishrule

to underwater world. great part is all his corals are run under flourescents.
he despises halides.
im sad to hear about that store in union center- i live maybe 5 min from there, and it looked like it might be cool.

irondog

Hey cowfishrules,what kind of tank do you have,an where do you buy your fish from,i use underwater world,like i said he is kinda high on prices,but great fish