free tds meter

scsinet

some us have to be careful aswell because we use the computers at work so clicking a link that we dont know where it goes and for instance takes us to a po--rn site or a post containing po--rn our jobs could be as risk.
You need to become the IT guy like me so that kind of thing won't happen

michaeltx

Originally Posted by SCSInet
Good information. None of us know there's a hidden forum for mods.
I also think it's good that you guys take the time to evaluate a site, rather than just indiscriminantly deleting the link.
The thing is, you'll never get rid of the margin call... the one offs that mods have to do based on a situation. Clarification of the rules is just a good idea in a general sense IMO.
some threads that seem to disapear actually dont they are moved there for more input on from the other mods. there are alot of judgment calls though depending on what the moderators reads in the post and the context of the post.
Mike

michaeltx

Originally Posted by SCSInet
You need to become the IT guy like me so that kind of thing won't happen

I dont have to worry about that but I know afew of the other mods do.
Mike

nietzsche

Originally Posted by jtrzerocool
thank you for the heads up on the TDS meter...i just got mine for $0.72...

free is awesome. :] i ordered 2. 1 to use on the spot and 1 for backup since im a clutz

renogaw

hmm, maybe i should use a couple email addy's i have and order 1 more :)
i'm sure it's against google's policy though...

jtrzerocool

Originally Posted by renogaw
hmm, maybe i should use a couple email addy's i have and order 1 more :)
i'm sure it's against google's policy though...
if you have it shipped to a different address there is no way to tell that you ordered 2 of them...just use 2 different card numbers, emails, and addresses and you are good to go...

renogaw

to use a credit card, it asks for your billing address though. maybe i'll get a coworker to do it for me :)

jtrzerocool

Originally Posted by renogaw
to use a credit card, it asks for your billing address though. maybe i'll get a coworker to do it for me :)
see now your thinking creativly...

snowdancer

well i hace been a member here for awhile i mostly just read post and have placed a 3 orders but i havent in over 1 year and i thank this will be my last visit to this site have fun all i dont live in russia but the usa and i have a choice so mods or who ever can just delet my acct pls

rudedog40

I just got warned for posting a very good article on lighting. I preferred to just post the link, but figured it would just get deleted. Could I do the summation bit and just give the hightlights? I suppose. However, I'm not an English major, nor did I do very well in my various writing classes in college when it came to doing summations. Besides hacking the article up and just giving highlights would have lost the meaning and entire context of the article, and it wouldn't have made sense.
As far as whether a link may or may direct you to a potential competitor --
Sorry, but I've been an online shopper since the first version of Mozilla came out back in 1990 (I believe)? I never by anything without doing research and comparative price checks. I take the price of the item, add any shipping or tax, and I buy from the cheapest online retailer. If there's something I need for my tank that SWF carries, I compare what it would cost to buy from them, with 7 other online saltwater retailers I have links to. I fully understand why SWF has the policy, but it doesn't stop me from shopping around.
Oh yeah. Just got my free TDS Meter. Is everyone buying one right now? I went to the web site, and it was DOG SLOW! It said it sent my order to the seller 'for processing'. I'll be curious to see if they do in fact send it. I'll probably get some message stating that the item is currently out of stock, and they'll inform me when it becomes available (which it won't because they'll catch the 'glitch').

jonthefishguy

What he probably meant by RUSSIA is that he has doesn't live in a country where it is communistic and where he can say what he wants or read what he wants without having a BIG BROTHER figure hide in the background editing what they want due to it having conflicts with what they believe or feel is a threat of competition. I would like SFW and NOT the mods to say that posting educational information even though it is from a possible competitor or bulletin board is not allowed. That way it comes from the top and not someone else's interpretation. Then we will know without a doubt that posting or links that give positive information regarding this hobby from anywhere outside SWF is prohibited.

1journeyman

The sad thing is I don't even *think* Russia is a communist state anymore

Jon, no one on this site are limited to what they read. You are limited to what you post here, as this site belongs to a company.
Folks, as Mods we take what we do seriously. Just a few weeks ago the Mods and Admin had a discussion in our "Shark" tank. We specifically asked Admin about how we were Modding, links, etc. and were told by Admin to stick to the current policy. So we are.
As for posting articles... Guys, that is not a rule by SWF. That is International Law. You cannot steal an article from somewhere else, post it here, and then say "it's too hard for me to summarize". That's just wrong, and I would hope would not be allowed on any reputable forum.

rudedog40

Originally Posted by jonthefishguy
What he probably meant by RUSSIA is that he has doesn't live in a country where it is communistic and where he can say what he wants or read what he wants without having a BIG BROTHER figure hide in the background editing what they want due to it having conflicts with what they believe or feel is a threat of competition. I would like SFW and NOT the mods to say that posting educational information even though it is from a possible competitor or bulletin board is not allowed. That way it comes from the top and not someone else's interpretation. Then we will know without a doubt that posting or links that give positive information regarding this hobby from anywhere outside SWF is prohibited.

Whoa Whoa! Wait a minute journeyman! He said BIG BROTHER!!! Why isn't this post deleted? I got blanked just last week for making a comment with the same phrase. Shame, shame!!!

scotts

Not this again

This is Saltwaterfish.com and their message board. They pay for the bandwidth and they own the site. As such we play by their rules. That is it plain and simple.

1journeyman

Originally Posted by jonthefishguy
You got your message removed for saying that word? Are you serious?
He might be serious, but he's not accurate.
His post was attacking the Mods personally and was therefore deleted. Whereas this thread is quite a bit more constructive and has been allowed to remain.

teen

Originally Posted by Scotts
Not this again

This is Saltwaterfish.com and their message board. They pay for the bandwidth and they own the site. As such we play by their rules. That is it plain and simple.
actually, we pay for the board when we order from them. i highly doubt the owner(s) of swf.com take a bit out of their pay check to keep this board running.
im pretty sure that processing fee goes to more than just a styrofoam box and some baggies.