Friend's sister is Anorexic-what can I do??

aquapro_1

To clear the air....snailheave.....SORRY!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Forgive me for thinking you were in the issue!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Forgiven???
OK, jdragunas???

snailheave

Originally Posted by aquapro_1
To clear the air....snailheave.....SORRY!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Forgive me for thinking you were in the issue!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Forgiven???
OK, jdragunas???

i am very much in the issue. but i will keep quiet in order not to add to your trauma

aquapro_1

My passion are my fish/animals and kids. Too many people abuse them all.
and the abused can't defend themselves.
That said, I'll take my turn of silence!!!

J

jdragunas

lol, this has all gone in the wrong direction. Don't be silent... that's how you don't get heard!!!

devildog01

Originally Posted by jdragunas
well, if she is truly anorexic, you need to tell her parents at once!!! I know, she'll probably beg you not to say anything, but this is something that HAS to be done. Anorexia isn't just about being "overweight"... they feel that they have no control over anything in their life, so the solution is to control the one thing they can... what they eat. I have 2 cousins with anorexia. They were both tripped into this by a horrible event in their lives... the one found out that her "father" wasn't even her real father, and the other one found out that her parents had secretly been divorced for 2 years, and that her mom was getting remarried.
Your friend's sister needs help, and she needs it quickly, before she puts her life at risk. TELL SOMEONE IMMEDIATELY!!!
Well, she IS truly anorexic, and her parents already know. However, I don't think her parents are doing anything. To my knowledge-I asked Erica that the other day and she said they weren't doing anything. I don't know what is happening, and I care about Erica, her family, and her sister-I know them all VERY well!! I don't think she is thinking straight (obviously) and she totally needs some pro-help (as pointed out) however, as of right now, I dont think she is getting any. Erica (my friend) seemed alright today, but she freaked during lunch. It got to the point that I had to make her come with me to the corner of the cafeteria so we could "talk." She's okay now, and she even said that, but I dont believe her-I KNOW its bothering her...I can see it.

devildog01

Originally Posted by snailheave
you are right. i can't. so here i go.
leave her be. some things are meant to be and some things are just meant to be. in the end we are just dust and bones.
umm, no... She is NOT meant to be anorexic. Yes, some day we will all be dust and bones-but that doesn't need to come early for her. You were probably kidding, but I don't care-I have had a rough day and I am not in a "joking" mood.

devildog01

lol, snailheaven wasn't the original poster... he meant he decided not to say anything in this thread... LOL!!!
And, adam's a good kid, i'm sure he'll do the right thing!

...lol, thanks Jenn!

J

jdragunas

well, if the parent's arent doing anything, i don't know who can... maybe they're in denial...

devildog01

well, if the parent's arent doing anything, i don't know who can... maybe they're in denial...
I don't know...I am going to call her in a bit. They aren't in denial, they have the doctors stuff and everything. Maybe they just don't want to believe it. (I guess that IS denial isnt it.) I am worried-not just for Christine (friends sister) but for Erica and their family. I am just TERRIFIED that by the time Christine realizes that this isn't right, it might be too late. God, I hate that thought.

J

jdragunas

the problem with anorexia is that it's a mental disorder, and in most cases, they don't ever "realize it's wrong"...with the reasoning they have, it's the only thing in their life they can control, and they like it. Now, you're coming in and trying to take that away from them... it's not a good transition. Even if they are sent to a hospital, they're still thinking "i can beat this...". It's a horrible disease... i had to watch two of my closest cousins battle with it... one was down to 72lbs, and the other was just about 80... it's very sad. Most people with anorexia have to deal with it for the rest of their lives, and it's really difficult for them.

devildog01

the problem with anorexia is that it's a mental disorder, and in most cases, they don't ever "realize it's wrong"...with the reasoning they have, it's the only thing in their life they can control, and they like it. Now, you're coming in and trying to take that away from them... it's not a good transition. Even if they are sent to a hospital, they're still thinking "i can beat this...". It's a horrible disease... i had to watch two of my closest cousins battle with it... one was down to 72lbs, and the other was just about 80... it's very sad. Most people with anorexia have to deal with it for the rest of their lives, and it's really difficult for them.
So what can I do? I don't want to see Christine, Erica, or the rest of their family suffer...

devildog01

Originally Posted by SoO High
give her a blunt and she will smoke her way out of anorexia
no offense, but-haha, not funny. Sorry ya'll, not trying to sound cranky, I am just STRESSED to the max!!!!

J

jdragunas

Well, most hospitals won't take anorexic girls until they've reached a certain weight... so i'm not sure what you can do. Once you let the parents know, it's really in their hands. She needs to attend therapy sessions with a psychiatrist, at least. Just be there for them. Be there for Erica, and explain to her that it's not her fault, that this was really probably unaviodable.
It's possible that she had a nervous breakdown once she got into college. So much pressure to continue her good grades, and she couldn't handle the pressure anymore. That explains her habit of skipping classes.
She's not going to be the friendliest person once she starts seeing the shrink either... they're taking her control over her life away... Imagine this. You're absolutely healthy, and all of a sudden, your eating habits are being monitored, then your bathroom habits, then your bathroom breaks are being timed, then you're not allowed to use the bathroom by yourself, then you're forced to eat over 3000 calories a day. Now imagine you're mentally unstable and all of that is happening, and they're making you eat, when that's the one thing you don't want to do... It's all so difficult for them. what they really need during this time is a friend, or someone to talk to. And not even about the anorexia, just about stuff...

soo high

it wasnt suppost to be funnie...........:) and how come its alway the white kids that have this problem u dont see any black asian mexican or other race in school that has this problem