Gay Commercial

cranberry

Originally Posted by Flower
http:///forum/post/3192243

LOL...the cook statue matches the number 1 explanation....
But you realize that's not the point of the commercial. That is has nothing to do with the number 1 explanation. Whip that out of your head. Lock that definition in a drawer somewhere. This commercial is about being gay.

meowzer

Originally Posted by reefraff
http:///forum/post/3192245
What she is is a hypocrite for appearing in that commercial. You ever hear some of the crap she says about people. If mean people suck she'd make a hell of a vacuum.

LOL...true I do not think I have ever heard her say anything nice, comedian or not....she is a mean one
Originally Posted by Cranberry

http:///forum/post/3192250
But you realize that's not the point of the commercial. That is has nothing to do with the number 1 explanation. Whip that out of your head. Lock that definition in a drawer somewhere. This commercial is about being gay.
I see nothing remotely happy about that statue.....watch the video again flower.....it's so obvious what they meant

reefraff

I am a pretty un PC kinda guy. I can't help but roll my eyes when in an adult conversation someone will mention hearing someone use the N word. My god people, If we are all adults do you thing someone's ears are going to fall off if you just say the word?
That being said I think using the phrase thats gay is pretty stupid. I dunno.

flower

Originally Posted by Cranberry
http:///forum/post/3192250

IMO..The commercial is stupid...our opinion is what the discussion is about
The commercial is about a gay person getting bent out of shape because some kids laughed at a cook statue and used a word, that by the way, matched their meaning even by a dictionary ..They used the word correctly.
Each took the word a different way. The gay person heard insult, the kids saw something funny and silly and laughed about it.
The commercial wants people to be more sensitive to gays...but IMO...making a kid feel bad for laughing at a silly statue, designed for being laughed at, that's why it looked so silly in its facial expression.
IMO..Calling a whimsical silly thing gay, is not an insult to a homosexual who may be in the room. That is as bad as a kid who hugged a classmate in kindergarten, getting expelled... calling it sexual harassment. People are just going overboard on the political correctness issue.

reefforbrains

I don't know what planet you live on but calling something gay because it is funny or should be ridiculed IS insulting. My personal orientation is irrelevent but still does tend to mold my sensitivities. This does not dillute my position that- Just because I am not insulted...and so naturally I don't consider it an insult......so no one else can have a problem with it, makes no sense.
Profanity, slang, slurs (even cryptic PG ones) it is ALL offensive to someone. I am an equal oppourtunity jerk so I insult people around me from time to time, not intentionally but admittedly more than I should. I am routinley just be being thick about it. People that cringe for things inside the major scope of the world we live make me sick. Yes, it is a fine line between poor choice of timing for a lapse in taste, and behaving as a no class animal. But still much prefferred to occasionally walk the line rather than behave completley filtered for easier digestion of the superficial political correct movement.
For instance-
I am having lunch with a friend, it is his turn to pay. He offeres that he bought coffee when we went fishing last weekend so that was his turn...now it is mine again. He asks me- "why are you being Jewish by not wanting to pay for the meal, it is your (my) turn".
Someone may take offense to it, I can try and pretend that there is nothing wrong with using the word in such context and I could even blame the ones that gets offended for being oversensitive. I could have even stopped him in his tracks and called him out on his new choice of vocabulary as being unwelcomed..........but frankly that would be gay.

flower

Originally Posted by ReefForBrains
http:///forum/post/3192428
I don't know what planet you live on but calling something gay because it is funny or should be ridiculed IS insulting. My personal orientation is irrelevent but still does tend to mold my sensitivities. This does not dillute my position that- Just because I am not insulted...and so naturally I don't consider it an insult......so no one else can have a problem with it, makes no sense.
Profanity, slang, slurs (even cryptic PG ones) it is ALL offensive to someone. I am an equal oppourtunity jerk so I insult people around me from time to time, not intentionally but admittedly more than I should. I am routinley just be being thick about it. People that cringe for things inside the major scope of the world we live make me sick. Yes, it is a fine line between poor choice of timing for a lapse in taste, and behaving as a no class animal. But still much prefferred to occasionally walk the line rather than behave completley filtered for easier digestion of the superficial political correct movement.
For instance-
I am having lunch with a friend, it is his turn to pay. He offeres that he bought coffee when we went fishing last weekend so that was his turn...now it is mine again. He asks me- "why are you being Jewish by not wanting to pay for the meal, it is your (my) turn".
Someone may take offense to it, I can try and pretend that there is nothing wrong with using the word in such context and I could even blame the ones that gets offended for being oversensitive. I could have even stopped him in his tracks and called him out on his new choice of vocabulary as being unwelcomed..........but frankly that would be gay.

Your example is a little different than a couple of kids laughing at a goofy statue. The stature was made to be laughed at, it is comical.
Your example is a person calling another person Jewish because of an offensive behavior like being cheap.
If he kids were laughing at a statue of a Jewish Rabbi with a goofy grin standing pigeon toed, if they laughed and called it a stupid looking Jew. I would not be offended...since that is exactly what the statue was.

reefforbrains

No difference to me. Both are very obvious wrongs...but both still funny and still do not constitute membership alliances with any hate group or ill character in the individual.
Difference with my own interpretations is only that there is no ignorance to hide behind for purposes of casting different depths of shadows for the offence. Both are clearly insulting to someone...but that someone is stuck bearing the brunt because it is funny. Agreed however that is is low brow.
Your semantic argument trying to illustrate some intelligent justification by examples of root word vocabulary is lost on me. I only can comment from my own eyes.
We can disagree, and this is a situation where I really do NOT wish to offend, but will I defend the statement that convenience of interpretation is upon the individual, and it is ok to have constitution on your side of the fence. Just no blankets for everyone else.

pezenfuego

I earned myself a 3 hour detention in 6th grade because I was talking to my friend and described our math project as being gay. The thing was, I was in art class. I understand how it can be offensive but some people take it too far. People say things like, "That's so Jewish" or "This is retarded." Yeah, it's offensive but confronting people about it isn't going to do anything but make you look like an butthole (I know "an" isn't grammatically correct lol). All I'm trying to say is that I spent three hours in detention for nothing more than a lack of political correctness. That day was pretty gay.

pezenfuego

http:///forum/post/3192444
If he kids were laughing at a statue of a Jewish Rabbi with a goofy grin standing pigeon toed, if they laughed and called it a stupid looking Jew. I would not be offended...since that is exactly what the statue was.
I would be offended that someone made a statue of a Jewish Rabbi with a goofy grin standing pigeon toed...

dragonzim

Yeah, sorry Flower, the word gay is not ever used to denote happy and jolly anymore. Its only use in today's society is to denote homosexuals, so yes, the usage in the commercial is certainly derogatory.

rlablan

Gay meant happy and jolly first, so that is how it stays in my vocabulary. Just because Gay's decided they want to be called that, doesn't mean I can't say it. If they decide tomorrow, they want to be called crunk, then people can't say "that's so crunk" anymore? (I don't say that cause I think it's lame) but it's the same thing...
If they don't like it, make up a new name... I don't get offended when guys use the C word... to talk about women. It just shows their lack of vocabulary and makes them look like a royal arse.
If I know there is a gay person around, and I think it would offend them, then I don't say if because I wouldn't intentionally hurt some, but It doesn't mean I wouldn't say it. I have gay friend who say things like "that's so gay."
If you had a fat friend, and you were at a bar with them, you wouldn't say "hey guys... That girls rolls are eating her shirt... she needs to not shop at baby gap" It looks ridiculous, so you point it out, but not in front of another fat person... Maybe it's just me... I DK...

"If he kids were laughing at a statue of a Jewish Rabbi with a goofy grin standing pigeon toed, if they laughed and called it a stupid looking Jew. I would not be offended...since that is exactly what the statue was."
^^ flower I almost wet myself... That cracked me up... And you are right, if it walks like a duck, talks like a duck, it is a duck... Sorry.

flower

You know what strikes me as really funny. I have never used the word "gay" in a sentence to discribe anything. Even my X didn't. Once when we were shopping, I liked this one, what I calld wine colored shirt. Dan said no, that it made him look like a queer.
That is the word my generatoion grew up with. Dan would not wear pink or red shirts..
I called him homophobic.
The word gay has always meant jolly, carefree, lighthearted. Times change and people change the words they use to describe themselves. African American males were once called "Black men", a word much preferred over the horrible N word. Today they prefer African American, a much better description.
Homosexuals were once called fags and queers, now gay??? Someday they will find a good word that makes them comfortable, a word that can only be used one way, one which does not offend.
Think about it..The word African American can't be misconstrued nor misused. IMO It just isn’t offensive. It is like saying Caucasian, it describes without offense.

pezenfuego

http:///forum/post/3192722

You know what strikes me as really funny. I have never used the word "gay" in a sentence to discribe anything. Even my X didn't. Once when we were shopping, I liked this one, what I calld wine colored shirt. Dan said no, that it made him look like a queer.
That is the word my generatoion grew up with. Dan would not wear pink or red shirts..
I called him homophobic.
The word gay has always meant jolly, carefree, lighthearted. Times change and people change the words they use to describe themselves. African American males were once called "Black men", a word much preferred over the horrible N word. Today they prefer African American, a much better description.
Homosexuals were once called fags and queers, now gay??? Someday they will find a good word that makes them comfortable, a word that can only be used one way, one which does not offend.
Think about it..The word African American can't be misconstrued nor misused. IMO It just isn’t offensive. It is like saying Caucasian, it describes without offense.
Actually, a lot of people dislike the term African American. You are associating them with a country that they have most likely never been to. In addition to that, they most likely don't know anybody who has been to Africa. You're using a country to define the color of their skin. Yes, it is as dumb as it sounds. I don't know anybody who is offended when they are called black and I am certainly not offended when I'm called white. If you know how to use words correctly, people won't get mad. I personally dislike being called Caucasian due to the fact that I've never been to the Caucasus. In any case, the terms black, African American, white, Caucasian, etc should not be used often.

flower

Originally Posted by meowzer
http:///forum/post/3192789
How about "a person of color"
LOL.....I think this thread needs to go away ;)

I agree, but as long as we posting it goes to the top..
Anyway "a person of color" could be a Spanish person, an African american, a Chinaman or a Martian. It would mean anyone not white, and won't cover the Homosexual community.

darthtang aw

Hold on...a person can use a word at someone and not be racist. If I am angry at my brother and call him a stupid cracker (he and I are white) does that mean I hate white people? No, it means I used the most demeaning word I could think of at the time to belittle him. Belittling or insulting someone does not mean a racist attitude.

flower

Originally Posted by PEZenfuego
http:///forum/post/3192786
Actually, a lot of people dislike the term African American. You are associating them with a country that they have most likely never been to. In addition to that, they most likely don't know anybody who has been to Africa. You're using a country to define the color of their skin. Yes, it is as dumb as it sounds. I don't know anybody who is offended when they are called black and I am certainly not offended when I'm called white. If you know how to use words correctly, people won't get mad. I personally dislike being called Caucasian due to the fact that I've never been to the Caucasus. In any case, the terms black, African American, white, Caucasian, etc should not be used often.

They don't like African American now??? I am so out of the loop. I am sure folks don't care for just being pointed at and called "that one" either.
So there is just nothing we can really do. Everything offends.

True story:
My daughter came running into my room once when she was little and announced "there is a black lady at the door to talk to you." My girlfriend told me she was offended. I told her little kids have no knowledge of being politically correct, it was the only way she could describe her. I then explained that my niece used to call them chocolate people. Coming from an adult that would be offensive, but not from a child.
In truth, I don’t think that the “names” we use are so bad, it is the attitude and inflection of the voice that offends.