Getting to know you... getting to know all about you!

J

jdragunas

Ok, i've been surfing these threads for a good 6 months now. In that time, i've come to know a bunch of great people on here, but today i realized that i don't really know you. (i just know who gives good advise, and who doesn't...lol) So here is our chance to get to know everyone. Tell me a little about yourself, and your aquatic family. We all love to brag about our fish, so here's the perfect opportunity to. Feel free to post anything you like, even if you don't have fish yet... I'll go first
My name is Jenn, and this
is Walter...lol. I'm 22, and i just got married in October. I've been saltwatering for about 9 months now (yes, i'm a newbie). It was my first christmas present from the hubby.
Now, a little about my aquatic family. I have a clown, can you guess his name... Nemo. He's so cute, he does this little roller coaster thing with the return on my wet/dry. He'll swim right above the return valve, and dive in front of the water flow, which in turn shoots him out into the middle of my tank, then he swims right back and does it again. This'll go on for hours at a time!
It's hilarious. I had another... Marlin, but he's in fishy heaven now...
I have two lawnmower blennies. One's full grown, the other's still a baby. Grandpa (the full grown one) used to be really shy, but he's out in the open all the time now. He's named Grandpa because he has fuzzy eyebrows, and fat, droopy cheeks. Scooter (the baby) was never shy, and he'll come out into the open and strike a pose for me whenever i'm near (they definately know where their food comes from).
I have a black & white heniochus named Yuffie. He's so cute, he'll swim in circles and loops as if to show off to me. Whenever i put my face up to the tank, he'll come and swim in front of it, so all of my attention is on him.
I recently purchased a YWG, and he's awesome! I had a little scare for a few days tho. He made his home beneath a piece of LR, but when i came home, he wasn't there. I didn't see him for a few days, so i thought maybe he had died.
2 days later, i'm looking in my prefilter box, and there he was! :cheer: He had gotten sucked into my overflow box, up the siphon tube, and was just swimming around in the prefilter box for like 2 days. I quickly fished him out, and spot fed him for a few days, and now he's much better.
He's almost doubled in size. He hangs out at the bottom of the tank now, and won't swim but a few inches from the bottom now... lol.
My last baby is my skunk cleaner shrimp. I love him. Whenever i put my hand in the tank, he jumps of his rock, and attacks my hand, crawling all over it, and cleaning me. He's so cute. I spot feed him with a turkey baster, and when he sees it, he flips upside down, grabs the end of the baster, and puts his face in the opening of it, waiting for the food to come out!
Then he grabs up as much as he can, and goes to the top of his rock and eats for like 2 hours, munching on all the goodies. lol
Well i hope this becomes a popular thread, because i wanna get to know everyone here!
Jenn

crazyaqua

I have had several tanks running in the past but right now i am just running a 55 and it just started to cycle. I have had clowns damsels groupers tangs hogfish and dwarf angels. Jen you said you have a henchious are they cool i have been looking at them. Still not sure what i am going to put in the 55. thats it for now love the hobby and will work for saltwater stuff for my tank :jumping:

J

jdragunas

crazy, i LOVE my heniochus! He's the coolest fish. He's so curious about everything. When i put my hands in the tank, sometimes he'll come kiss me (he's probably biting to see if i taste good). He's a great fish to have, however, i just found out they grow to be up to 7" and need a 100 gallon tank or bigger. I hate my LFS! He told me they only need like a 30 gallon tank. I'm planning on getting a bigger tank in the future, so hopefully he won't grow too fast until then. Good luck with your tank!

BTW, i love your avtar! I can't wait to see Corpse Bride!!!
Jenn

shorty

I just started saltwater bout 5 weeks ago. I have one damsel and goin to get 2 false clowns in two weeks when i go to san antonio I love that town.
I'm 23 and I also got merried in october 30 of last year. :joy:

J

jdragunas

Congratulations! You'll love the clowns, they're so awesome!
Jenn

carshark

Hi my name is Aaron...(this is where you say "hi aaron")...Im a fishoholic
It started back when i was 10 and i got my first 10 gallon complete freshwater set up. Over the years of keeping snakes, anoles, iguana, geckos, and back to oscars, eventually African cichlids, and then Arowana. So I decided to give saltwater a whirl. What a task, but thats when i realized I had a problem
I can not break away, It keeps calling me and calling me. I cant even be happy with what I have, I just want more and more.......
i feel better thanks guys..
Ok Im 24 been in Iowa 2.5 years, have a wonderful Girlfriend whom I will marry but you see Ive spent all of my extra money on my tank..so I have to save again to buy the ring, no rush though, ive got a little while to go before that happens..
I know the first sign of fishilism is admitting that I have a problem, maybe someone could help me through this diff...err no Wonderful time!!!
ok Im done being stupid now

J

jdragunas

(Hi Aaron!) lol.
Don't worry, i think it's safe to say that on this website, we're all fishoholics!
OOHHHH i forgot, i just bought a 35 gallon hex for seahorses!!! See? i NEVER stops! Next, i'm planning on putting a 200 gallon in my master bedroom. I've always wanted one of those ones in the wall..... Hmmmm, maybe i'll make my entire house just out of fish tanks! That would be amazing!!! :jumping:
ok, i'm done being stupid too... lol
Jenn

carshark

Originally Posted by jdragunas
(Hi Aaron!) lol.
Don't worry, i think it's safe to say that on this website, we're all fishoholics!
OOHHHH i forgot, i just bought a 35 gallon hex for seahorses!!! See? i NEVER stops! Next, i'm planning on putting a 200 gallon in my master bedroom. I've always wanted one of those ones in the wall..... Hmmmm, maybe i'll make my entire house just out of fish tanks! That would be amazing!!! :jumping:
ok, i'm done being stupid too... lol
Jenn

believe me If i could I would.....The problem is it is all possible. but I dont think the gf would want all of that going on, but who knows I may just get he rmore involved just yet

hot883

Hi Aaron, Jenn, and Mary. I'm Barry, retired Marine and now a town Mayor. Very small town!
I own my small business of Pest Control and I work in that 9 days a month. I hunt and fish constantly. I have been into sw for 17 years off and on and claim to fame so far is having 7 sw's going all at the same time while I lived in Hawaii the 1st time. I currently have a 55 with a bi-color angel, 2 firefish gobies, 1 bangaii cardinal, and 2 clowns about an inch long. I have a bench set up infront of my tank so visitors and myself can sit there and stare. Ha! My most awesomeness fish I have had was my 2 eels and then I think my Arrowana that was about 20-21" when he left us. Ha!

I want a moris idol again Bad but I know I can't in my 55.
So.... I am going to add a 5 gal. hob refugium w/skimmer and I am starting to get into zoanthids etc. Love to help ppl out on here when I can. Great to meet ya'all.

carshark

hi barry...
Yeah even though I have saltwater, my favorite fish to this day was one of my Blue Arowana's, he was incredible, with an insane amount of personality, He grew to almost 36 inches, before i sold him.. he would take food from my hand, and roll onto his side and let me pet him, always on the lookout on top of the tank, back and forth slowly and gracefully waiting for any kind of prey to pop its little head above it.... :happyfish

hot883

Originally Posted by carshark
hi barry...
Yeah even though I have saltwater, my favorite fish to this day was one of my Blue Arowana's, he was incredible, with an insane amount of personality, He grew to almost 36 inches, before i sold him.. he would take food from my hand, and roll onto his side and let me pet him, always on the lookout on top of the tank, back and forth slowly and gracefully waiting for any kind of prey to pop its little head above it.... :happyfish
Hi Aaron, My A was a total pig to. I lost alot of my fish (well all of them) and all my 14 Bonsai trees when I went to the "Big Sand Box" (don't get me started) and my wife has never sense forgave herself. I have though and told her the important thing is that I made it back ok! Gee, I love that woman. She bought my my current 55, all the LR,LS, and most of evverything for my fathers day.

carshark

Originally Posted by hot883
Hi Aaron, My A was a total pig to. I lost alot of my fish (well all of them) and all my 14 Bonsai trees when I went to the "Big Sand Box" (don't get me started) and my wife has never sense forgave herself. I have though and told her the important thing is that I made it back ok! Gee, I love that woman. She bought my my current 55, all the LR,LS, and most of evverything for my fathers day.

good woman.. at least she tried to make up for it, and had regard for your feelings, a lot of women out there dont even take the time to do that, if youre lucky you may get an apology..
footnote: not all women are like this, just some

hot883

good woman.. at least she tried to make up for it, and had regard for your feelings, a lot of women out there dont even take the time to do that, if youre lucky you may get an apology..

How true. She is a Saint for putting up with the Marine Corps for 18 years, 7 deployments - 6 months each, 11 months in the sand box, and countless 1 week long or 1 month long excursions.

J

jdragunas

Oooohhh, you're so lucky you put that footnote in there... I was going to have to do some pounding...
I just recently bought my hubby a production cell from his fav. anime... $200 later, i'm still waiting to give it to him for our anniversary...lol. This is the longest i've ever been able to keep a secret like this! I'm so proud of myself *pat on the back*
Hi Barry! My fav. fish is the Moorish Idol! My LFS has one... but i too only have a 55 g
. This LFS is by the way that really bad LFS i posted about. Poor poor idol...
Jenn

hot883

Jenn, here are some pics. of my humble 55. (don't laugh) Lack of funds will keep a brother down. Ha!

dr. evil

shoot nothing wrong with that Hot883 or Barry you should see my tank gotta buy my live rock one piece at a time but i'll get there btw i love that bi color i want one.
Well hello all names Ray i live in Chesapeake Va. born and raised in New Orleans La. and glad i live here right now. 38yrs. old married for 14yrs. wanted to have a saltwater tank for as long as i can remember got one started in nov. of 2004 and i love it my other hobby is astronomy boy my wife loves it i could'nt have picked 2 more expensive hobbies than these but hey you only live once right. im a fire sprinkler/fire alarm inspector/tech. i have a 75gal. fowlr would love to go reef but im not ready for that yet maybe in a couple of years. did freshwater for about 6yrs. African Chiclids got my son taking care of those now he wants a saltwater now but i told him learn to take care of these first and we'll see got my hands full with one sw tank now dont need two. anyway just a tidbit about myself so hello fellow fishaholics.

hot883

Hi Ray,
Thanks for the compls. I add my LR 1 at a time too. Got about 65-70 lbs. now. Need some more for height so I have spaces to place soft corals. Got a great deal on my lights; Like $109 shipped 260w PC's with fans and legs. Will do me ok till I upgrade. Ha!

dr. evil

dang. good deal on the lights i paid almost $300 for mine a pc w/moonlights and then i saw metal halides and wanted to kick myself

hot883

Ray, I love my bi-color or Oriole Angel. So lively and hangs out under rocks until I go sit at the bench and then he comes out to display himself. I had problems with him eating at first and then I got another fish and he started eating everythin. Ha!