Girlfriend 3g tank

L

lbaskball

how in the world do you keep anything stable in a 3 gal? Salinity? Temperture? and feeding? thats amazing.

rackyrane

I have a three gallon tank also. It takes a bit more work but is quite easy once set up. I just do water changes every two weeks and top off weekly. Makes a great addition to my desk at the office.

new2salt1

I just set-up a 3 gal at my office. I took 2 gallons from my Biocube, so I didn't have to wait for a cycle. After 4 days of letting the filter/light run, I have added 4# of live rock. Im adding 2 more #of LR on Thursday, and then Fri I hope to have my first mini colony of zoanthids. I have about 6 watts per gal, and the solo hermit crab I have in thereis doing well.
As far as keeping salinity/temp correct...
I fail to see how keeping the salinity correct is different from any other tank. Evaporation is the only thing that is going to make your SG go up. And if you keep fresh R.O. at your office like I do, this is a non-issue.
As far as temp, I got a heater for Christmas that stays at 78 degrees consistently. It has a built in thermostat, and when it hits 78, it shuts off. I have not had ANY fluctuation in the tank for 4 days.
I will create a thread for my first pico. As far as the fish, more than one is too many I think. I personally will probably avoid fish because of feeding over the weekend.
All in all, my 3gal is awesome. The stock blue light makes everything look amazing.

ric maniac

That clown is in way too small of a tank. It should be in a 10+ gallon tank. But other than that it looks great.

yerboy

Originally Posted by bjoe23
Heres the link to the debate
forums.saltwaterfish.com/t/280627/fish-for-nano
i don't think anywhere in that thread did someone say a clown would do good in that tank.
I myself said maybe 1 clown goby and i see you went with that advice, but that clown will outgrow that tank in a matter of months.

bjoe23

Originally Posted by yerboy
i don't think anywhere in that thread did someone say a clown would do good in that tank.
I myself said maybe 1 clown goby and i see you went with that advice, but that clown will outgrow that tank in a matter of months.
I didnt say that a clown cood go in

new2salt1

I read these "fish too big for tank" threads all the time, and I have to say it's really not a science. I have 5 tanks, 2 salt, 3 fresh. I have a trio of 3" red-belly piranhas in a 55 gal tank, and they confine themselves to a corner of the tank and only leave when they are trying to rip my finger off. They probably use 10 gallons space-wise. Does that mean they could be happy in 10 gallons? I dunno. All I DO know is zero amm, zero trites, and
<20 trates is the same whether it is 55 gallons or 3 gallons. Healthy parameters are healthy parameters. That IS a science.
SO if a healthy tank is being kept, the REAL discussion here is about livelihood; not "CAN it be done," but "SHOULD it be done."
And that's when the arguments become so subjective that it's not even worth talking about.

nygel

clownfish arent active, but they are more so than that. but in the end its the buyers product and not a human being, so its there decision to take in our advice or not. its in a tank deemed unfit for it, but who knows, it'll probably end up in a bigger tank in time, due to its size will get too big for it if it lives that long.

yerboy

Originally Posted by bjoe23
I didnt say that a clown cood go in
sorry that wasn't meant for you, i was only referring to the post you linked. Sorry for any confusion.

bjoe23

Originally Posted by New2Salt1
I read these "fish too big for tank" threads all the time, and I have to say it's really not a science. I have 5 tanks, 2 salt, 3 fresh. I have a trio of 3" red-belly piranhas in a 55 gal tank, and they confine themselves to a corner of the tank and only leave when they are trying to rip my finger off. They probably use 10 gallons space-wise. Does that mean they could be happy in 10 gallons? I dunno. All I DO know is zero amm, zero trites, and
<20 trates is the same whether it is 55 gallons or 3 gallons. Healthy parameters are healthy parameters. That IS a science.
SO if a healthy tank is being kept, the REAL discussion here is about livelihood; not "CAN it be done," but "SHOULD it be done."
And that's when the arguments become so subjective that it's not even worth talking about.
Its now CAN the fish live in the tank it is CAN it live in the tank HAPPILY

bjoe23

Originally Posted by nYgel
clownfish arent active
, but they are more so than that. but in the end its the buyers product and not a human being, so its there decision to take in our advice or not. its in a tank deemed unfit for it, but who knows, it'll probably end up in a bigger tank in time, due to its size will get too big for it if it lives that long.
Clown fish are like the most active fish. They always are swimming even at night. I think clownfish are VERY active

bjoe23

Originally Posted by yerboy
sorry that wasn't meant for you, i was only referring to the post you linked. Sorry for any confusion.
oh its ok