Giving Up - Its not all it's cracked up to be

ophiura

I don't want this thread to get out of hand, so all I can ask is that anyone who has nothing productive to contribute to just stay out. Opinions on people's time or expense account are not productive contributions. They are personal considerations.
One does need to step back and truly decide if they have the time or money or real dedication to do it. That is a personal decision. But there are ways around some expenses and time issues. Little time? Don't do corals. Stick with "tough" fish - maybe predators. Probably same with money issues. A 30% water change is pretty standard - do it at once, or do it in bits, but it needs to be done. Dedicate a couple of hours two it every two weeks and that should be enough.
Look into DIY skimmers....not pretty and will need a sump (which can be a small tank or rubbermade thing). Look at the classified adds in the local paper - in bigger cities there are often lots of tanks for sale...or equipment. Look for a local reef club or on the classified here. Ask if people just have stuff hanging around they want to get rid of but hadn't thought about before. Through contacts I got my sump/tidepool filter and overflow, return pump and a skimmer. Free. If I didn't have that, I probably would have a smaller tank. Consider downgrading so you can use smaller pumps or whatever.
Lets just ignore the livestock issue for now....
What has to be done is to get on top of current water quality issues and circulation (which I believe is a critical factor). I have 3 powerheads and a return on my 45g...and a skimmer in the sump...and would say I probably still need more in particular places. Many tanks are run with only LR, powerheads and a hang on skimmer. Circulation is critical.

djballistc

I am getting the circulation problem under control first. I have 2 powerheads and a third one will put me over my 750 GPH mark. Then I will work on purchasing a protein skimmer and then performing the much needed water change.

bcollie

Originally posted by GreatfullReefer
Check out *cough* E.ba.y*cough*:)

There is a AquaC Remora (Pro) with mag drive on e--- for auction. I think there are two days left in the auction.
Get a good skimmer, lots of lr and a good ls base. You will only need the filter for yourself, and if you want to polish the water a bit.
I wouldn't blame the lfs for just trying to make a living, but do listen to the folks on this list and then decide for yourself how you should go.
If you love the hobby, don't give up..just regroup and go slow.
Good luck!

bcollie

Personally, I would set up my powerheads and arrange my lr in such a way that your livestock can find refuge from the tidal waves you will be recreating. :D Not all critters from the sea like strong water currents...

clown'in

GO AHEAD WITH THE PRIZM SKIMMER JUST BOUGHT ONE ABOUT 6 MONTHS AGO AND ITS DOING GREAT AND YOU CAN GET THEM ON SALE OVER THE INTERNET FOR ABOUT 80.00 AND THEY'LL HANDLE UP TO 100 GAL GET THE DELUXE VERSION THOUGH IT CLEANS MY 55 JUST FINE.
ALONG WITH THAT I JUST HAVE ABOUT 40 LBS OF LIVE ROCK AND A HANGOVER EMPORER 400 FILTER. THAT SETUP ALONG WITH 2 170 GPH POWER HEADS ARE KEEPING THE WATER NICE AND CLEAR
GOOD LUCK

C

cowpoke

DJ
Just a question on your water, if I missed your reply previously I apologize ahead of time! It sounded like you are using softened water.
Are you using softened water in your tank?
Cowpoke

djballistc

Thanks for the Prizm Deluxe product reference..as soon as I get paid I will get something. A new development though, something I thought was kinda cool. All I have been able to do since I started this post was add that second powerhead that does 175 in my tank and it actually looks like the algae bloom is becoming less and less. I don't know if that is possible or if it is just me but it appears so. I can't wait to get my last powerhead and my protein skimmer, I think that will just do the trick.

O

oreo12

Hi I am no expert but have had a 29 gal set up for 15 years. I recectly bought a 54gal set up someone had and gave up on like yourself they could not keep the aminoa leavels at 0. I brouhgt it home set it up like they had it amiona was at 1.0 I added more live rock after a couple weeks the leveal game down to .50 I purchased a prizom skimmer of e ba y for $73 shipping included and the thing keeps pumping this nasty brown stuff out of the tank. My amina has been 0 ever since. my nitrites 0 my mitrates .20 ph 8.4 water temp 80 sality 1.024 fish eat and eat and eat I have 5 dish in there and from what I can tell am supose to be overloaded sice I only have room fo 13" of fish and my bleeny is 14" long. I have the red stuff in there now but the red slime will go away it has been my expecene that you get that when my nitrates fall fast this stuff showes up. all my leveals droped real fast after adding the skimmer. From what I have read all you need is a skimmer the extra power head and lots more live rock. You have to much money in there th quite this soon. Even if you just put in 10 damsial fish for while then maybe your local guy could take them on trade when they grow up your tank is set and ready for those larger fish you want. With saltwater tanks taking it slow is the key.

smallfry

Live rock I have found seems to make saltwater keeping IMO easier than FW.
I have had FW for 20 years and started changing to SW 5 years ago. I did not use live rock at the start and never had a site like this in the begining. Once I started using live rock life became much easier.
It can run up the $$$ but is well worth it in the long run. I have FWLRO tanks and do not use a skimmer on any of them and have "0" readings in all tests. I so regular water changes only monthly and do not over load the bioload.
Two tanks have HOB filters...left over from FW days. 1 tank is a eclipse... the new tank has wet/dry....all systems I think run well because of the live rock....
I just started my 90g with some bought live rock, some from other tanks, but mostly base rock that will become live.
I would think about just starting over. bring back any fish you have left clean up the tank a major water changes and take it slow......It is hard to keep it fun when you start out so bumpy but I think EVERYONE has had some bumps along the way.

djballistc

Well another day has passed and my water is clearer than it has been in awhile just by me adding that second powehead, so I am seeing first hand that water circulation plays a huge role. I still need to add that third powerhead to give me adequate circulation for my tank size. Also my blenny is dead now too..not sure why. Too much current for him to get food? Too much current period? Finally couldn't take the water conditions? Who knows. I am going to add that protein skimmer as well. Also as I mentioned earlier in my thread that I have between 20-25 lbs of bought live rock. I also have several other large pieces of lava rock and base rock that has turned live all over this period. Well at least it has tons of green algae growing on it and my inverts are feeding off of it so I am assuming that is what you mean by it turning live. But I still probably need more.

djballistc

I found a Prizm Deluxe Protein Skimmer Brand New on the web for $70.00 and $12.00 Shipping. It says it comes with external water pump. Is this a good deal. Should I buy this?

O

oreo12

Mine is not the delux and it was 73 total shiping and all from what i see the delux usaly runs 150. So I would say that is a good deal. I have to empty nasty brown stuff out of it once a day. My tank is overloaded with fish but the leavels stay good. I will have to find a home for my trigger when he grows up though. My wife won't give me the space for the 200 gal tank I want.

djballistc

Ok so I bought that Prizm Deluxe so it's on it's way to me soon. Another question. Where on the back of my tank should I put it? Normally this wouldn't be a question but I remembered my setup. My Eheim Pro II canister filter has a spray bar that goes along the back of the top left side of the tank. Then right next to that I have a powerhead. Then at the right side of the tank there is another powerhead and at the very end is the intake for the filter but that doesn't take up much room. I could reposition powerheads but really I don't want the skimmer hanging off the back right in the middle of the tank. Remember my tank can be seen from both sides. It isn't up against a wall.
On a side note about that skimmer. It seems like it will work out fine but from what I have been reading it is very hard to find the "sweet spot" of it to get it to run properly. Is this true in your experiences? Some people tell me it's very easy to setup and maintain which I like. Easy is what I need right now after all I have been through. If you guys would like a diagram of the back of my tank or even a real picture I can post one so you all can see it. Just let me know.

johngebw

Hay, don't sweat over it. You supposed to have fun and at the same time learn. The biggest learning curve for me was to make it as simple as possible and let Mother Nature do the work. All I'm running is a sump (with live rock and mineral mud) and a protein skimmer. My tank is a 75 gallon and I have 150 pounds of different types of live rock. I don't know your tank specs but if you keep it simple, it will work. Let the tank do the work not chemicals, or canister filters, or wet/dry's. The ocean does not has any of that. Setup your tank just like the ocean and it will work out every time. Believe me, I went threw the same process and $$loss . I had spent on my first FOW setup about $3500.00. On my second setup for a reef, I spent well over $2500.00 and that’s only for a 20 gallon reef.. Now after loosing everything I had due to the hurricanes, I started again. This time I had most of everything but made my 75 into a reef. This setup cost me $1500.00. Don’t ever give up. You now have everything you need. Just make it simple, change things around and like I said, let the tank do the work and “be patient!” Take Care & Good luck…
BTW - DO LISTEN TO THE EXPERTS HERE. THEY HAVE BEEN THREW THIS BEFORE AND KNOW THE ROPES. PUT ALL THYE SUGGESTIONS TOGETHER AND YOU WILL SEE WHAT YOU NEED TO DO.

O

oreo12

This skimer only needs about 2 1/2" of space. Are any of the sides of the tank against or by a wall what kind of top do you have? I like this skimmer because it takes so little space. also once you get it working you will need to empty it every other day maybe everyday the first week. I have mine pluged into one of them power outlet strips that have a on off switch I have it and a light on it I shut it off empty it replace cup and turn it back on then I never have to reajust it. I would like to see photo of your tank.

djballistc

I don't have the sides of the tank by a wall either. It is a 75G marineland tank. It is all glass top. Front and back flaps that open that is if i readjust the hood. I will send various pics of all of it. That way you guys can see first hand what i have and you can make suggestions.

djballistc

johnge
thanks for the info. I will do just that, I don't know if you read earlier in my post but I do have a canister filter and 2 power heads right now. The protein skimmer i hope will give me the final thing I need. I now only have 1 fish and 1 coral banded shrimp in there alive so I want to get my water pristine before I even consider or entertain the thought of adding more fish to it. Although I do have this one small problem. My last order from SWF.com I lost everything. Within their 6-day guarantee though I sent back 3 fish for credit. So i have a credit waiting with them which consists of a replacement Flame Angel fish and a dottyback. What should I do because I don't want to stress the bioload like i had done previously. I am hoping that I can get these fish plus meet my 100.00 minimum to order from them but get inverts or something like that and keep everything alive. But waiting until my water is incredibly good with that skimmer first. What are your thoughts guys? What is the best way to go about this. I have this credit to use and I would like to use it at some point.

mumbulog

I have a wet dry ( sump) rated for a 125 gallon tank with an overflow box I will sell you reasonable. I gave 150 for this and will part with it for 100 plus shipping. You would need to purchase bio media and a pump.

coryherb

I am no expert..and i think the people that are experts have got you going in the right direction. In your first few threads it seemed pretty obvious you didn't have near the filtration, circulation, or your time to be successful. I am guessing since you don't even like doing water changes you didn't maintain your canister that well making it more of a problem than a help. You had a stagnant tank. Teetering on poisonous.
You say money is an issue and you want to have a nice tank. You can do it but you have to take it slow. Spend the money on tank stuff (like you are)up front. Do it over time. When that is ready to go..add fish slowly. If you ask me develop what you would call a beautiful fishtank with no fish. When you achieve that, add fish. As I said it seems these guys have you going in the right direction. Advice here (although not always right) is generally better than any fish store can give. If for no other reason because anything that is wrong will be slammed by another member or members fast.
To sum up..take your time, make a list of the things you need/want before you even start thinking about fish. Make that part happen. Do the maintenance you need (yes including those infamous water changes) and then add fish slowly. Ask here about stocking questions before you buy a fish(i know i will) and enjoy.
luck

craig65

i feel your pain. I we are also in the same boat. Being mis-informed has cost us litteraly hundreds if not a grand or so.
We have learned do it right from the start. A good skimmer and filter also proper lighting. We are still on a major learning curve. All I know is what has and has not) worked for me. I can say this...you wont get any better advise anywhere else. I have learned volumes just reading other peoples posts. We are looking at uv sterilzers... don't know alot about them, can any one help me out? Not sure what 15,000 nanowatts per second per square cm means or how exactly it kills the bacteria. From what I've read the doses range from 32000 to over 300,00 to kill certian types of bacteria, how can It kill anything if it only puts out 15000?