Giving Up - Its not all it's cracked up to be

A

andretti

To DJ" ".......You need to do a lot more research before getting back into the hobby and killing more innocent animals! I am not trying to be rude and/or disrespectful but everything other have told you is true. For beginners, ammonia & nitrates need to be at 0. Second, you need a protein skimmer (even though you do not have corals) they break down fish waste, excess food, etc before they become toxic ammonia, nitrites and nitrates. Third, you must use at least R/O water in this hobby. And finally, you need much more live rock and live sand. You do not have enough bacteria to "eat" the harmful toxins.

djballistc

To Andretti... First of all you obviously do no read the entire post. I am aware I need a protein skimmer. If you read a couple posts up I bought one. I also have more live rock coming. I do NOT need and R/O. I can get my circulation and filtration up to par and I won't need an R/O. They are a convenience not a necessity. I have read enough to know that. I also am aware that what people on here are telling me is true. Hence my first response to you in this post. I have a protein skimmer ordered and is on it's way. I don't need more sand I have the required amount of sand. Plus I never posted that as to how much I had. Seems to me your just trying to help but bringing a negative tone to this thread. I would suggest that you read the entire thread before commenting next time.

ohiorn67

I have been reading this post for days.....amazing.....first of all I see issues with both sides here. These forums are supposed to help and support each other...give lots of opinions and we are to make our own opinions....
DJ....at first you were very very defensive when you started this post...there were times I was like...get a life, don't help this guy, but again, I do understand it can be a major stress mentally and on the pocketbook. You gotta take peoples opinions and the ones you like be nice and say thanks!! The ones you don't like....instead of commenting on...in a negative like you know more than they do....don't say anything. Somethingd work for others and some things may not work for you vise versa. On the other hand....some of the comments of help are great, while others have been offensive too...I mean, I was about to also be not so kind at one point and decided to keep it to myself....sometimes DJ, you are alot nicer than other times...
attitude on both sides will help everyone. I definitely am only 2 months into this and don't need to be giving advice. I can say that a variety of filter systems seems to work for me....maybe others would not like my setup but it works for me. I have a 90 gallon...130 lbs of live rock, excellent skimmer remoraCpro and a cannister filter eheim 2217...trust me, got my comments on my cannister...but truthfully...my nitrates continue to be 0 as many think oh I will have all these issues. It is not just about equipment. You gotta care for the tank. We do small 5-10 water changes every week and just rinse the sponge in the cannister every other..takes 30 min to do all....form your own opinions... but you need to not think of doing this as a chore for having something to clean....if this is the deal, then don't do it...I have committed to enjoying it in between the dumb cleaning I don't like....but hey, seems worth it so far. I hope you get your tank back up and healthy..that is all anyone on here wants....have a great day!:happyfish

djballistc

Attention all Prizm Deluxe skimmer owners. Please help.
I received it today and I am having trouble with the regulation of flow. If i have it too much it fills water to the brim of the collector cup. If it's too little it doesn't product any bubbles. How will I know what it should look like. The book just keeps saying keep making adjustments until the desired results are reached. Well having never owned one before I don't know what the desired results are. Can anyone explain this to me or post a picture of what their's looks like or something. I figured this would be the tricky part I am just trying to remain patient so I can figure this out. Please help. Any thoughts are welcome.

djballistc

No matter how much or how little I adjest that knob I still have micro bubbles going back into my tank as well. And in the manual it says I don't want that.

johngebw

DJBallistc,
I had the same skimmer at first. I have had the same problem as well. You need to wait overnight for each adjustment you make that I have learned with the skimmer. I also have learned to purchase a skimmer that will perform correctly with little or no adjustments after your break-in period and sitting.
I would strongly suggest AquaC Remora or the AquaC EV Series. I have used both of these skimmers with 100% results ! and with little adjustments.
John

djballistc

Yes but the Aqua C Remora Pro are twice the price and at this time in the game are not worth it to me. I asked for people's responsed who currently own them and are working fine for them. I remember seeing a couple of people post on here that currently own them and love it. Those are the people I would like to have input from at this time to see how they did it. I know the Aqua C Remora Pro is a nice skimmer, all well and good but more expensive isn't always better.

O

oreo12

Ok The first couple days I had mine it pumped out a lot of stuff. once it had been on there about a week and got the tank cleaned out it was easyer to ajust. Let it run at about 1/4 of the opeing if you get alot out it will slow down as the skimmer works . Mine fills up every 2 to 3 days now with brown stinky stuff but at first pumped out a lot of clearer stuff emptyed it 4 times a day my leavels went to 0 and are still there today. Most people want instent results and give up befor they give this one a chance. i feel this is the best skimmer for the buck out there and will be get another one for my 29 gal soon. Hope this helps. Would have posted sooner but I got my arm all cut up at work and can't move it yet. just don't woory about it filling up quick maybe empty it every couple hours at first then it will come into it you may have to add back some new water mix to your tank.

djballistc

OK coolio...that is where I think I got it now. Also I was curious as to how long before I should test my water and start seeing some change in results? Thanks for your input.

O

oreo12

I test my water every morning. I had major results in 24 hours after fireing up my skimmer. I emptyed mine this morning and it is 1/4 full of brown stuff allready this evening.

djballistc

Ok thanks oreo. I haven't tested mine yet...i am on the third day. I wanted to give it time to break in so to speak. Also I still haven't managed to get the air regulator valve at the "sweet spot". I have it either too much with a wet bubbly consistency or too little where it isn't even going up into the collection cup. I'll get it I am sure. Soon i hope :)

sw65galma

2 things to reinforce what has been said.
1. PS IS needed (by n00bs anyways) there are ways around avoiding needing it. Low bioload, tons of live rock, sump, fuge.
2. As far as the LFS saying UPS is bad, how do you think LFS get the fish? same way...

sw65galma

Originally posted by DJBallistc
Ok thanks oreo. I haven't tested mine yet...i am on the third day. I wanted to give it time to break in so to speak. Also I still haven't managed to get the air regulator valve at the "sweet spot". I have it either too much with a wet bubbly consistency or too little where it isn't even going up into the collection cup. I'll get it I am sure. Soon i hope :)

I have one...
Here is what you do.
Turn it to the3 and 9 Oclock position (slowest position)
Turn it up (if you think of it as a clock) to 2oclock and wait 5mins, then keep turning it towards 12 oclock very very small increments until the bubbles are right where the bottom of the Funnel in the cup. (where it starts to get small)
Check in another few mintues, you shouldn't see many bubbles overflowing into the collection cup. Everyonece and a while you'll see the bubbles overflow. That's good.
You should get a green,brown really smelly water.

djballistc

Ok i will do that. Like right now where I have it I have barely bubbles overflowing into the collection cup. But like I said if I put it up to where 2 o'clock would be it is way too much bubbles going into there and according to the book - wasting too much seawater.

O

oreo12

Ok How is it going today? Have you tested your water ? You will waste some water at first but once the tank gets cleaned out it should get easeir to ajust. Any way that is how mine worked. I have my 54 gal overloaded my water stays great all leavels been at 0 for about 2 months now since adding the skimmer. I was like yourself not felling I should need a skimmer but it has helped. I will stay out of the water change argument but my 29 gal is 15 years old and is doing great. My corals are multipling and my fish are growing my long tenacle eats and has grown a lot all so. I have a skillter filter and skimmer on there the skimmer in the skillter is noise and don't do near as good as the prizem. I do not do as the experts sugest to do on here with water changes. Hum have not had a fish die since I add coral boost and my corals start to grow hum working for me but I am no colage grad with a major in saltwater aquram. Just a man with 2 tanks 10 fish growin well sevreal growing multpling corals. That just replaces evaporated water 3 times a week so the pacific gravity don't change much. I hope you find what works for you and most people on here want the same for you but one thing to rembere is what works for you might not work for me what works for them might not work for anyone as well.

djballistc

OK i finally tested my Ammonia and Nitrates. The skimmer has been on there running for a week or more and my disappointment continues.
Ammonia: 0.25
Nitrates: 20-40 (Can't tell which)

ophiura

And you are having these readings double checked at the LFS, hopefully using a different brand of test kits?

djballistc

Different Test Kits? Are you serious? My test kits could be bad? It is the ones I have been using. I guess I never suspected that. I could take some water to my LFS and have them test it. But I have done that once before and it was about the same.

team2jnd

OK listen my advice to you because i had this EXACT same problem not a month ago is this. Get a wet dry filter AND more live rock. Between your sump and your return pipes install a U.V. sterilizer. Also purchase a skimmer because skimmers are mandatory in all tanks in my personal opinion. The UV will eliminate all bacteria and algae in the water and the skimmer will remove the dead waste. I use an in sump skimmer by oceanic and it removed a full cup a week of gunk. This total system will cost u about 600 dollars but it is well worth it because you will no longer have to worry about your tank. ALSO if you think a canister filter is sufficient you are very much wrong. Cannister filters add nitrates to your water due to the infilter media. That is my opinion and it is accurate considering i lost 4 fish from both swf.com and the local fish store. and oh if the salinty in the water from swf.com is higher or anything you simply have to drip acclimate them so the shock is not too much. It takes time but is well worth it.