GOING WAY TOO FAR

2quills

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemmy http:///t/394311/going-way-too-far#post_3509610
According to the article, "students are protected under federal -- and have certain protections". The fact that she posted the pics on FB is what I have the issue with. The teacher does not have the right to post pics of her students on her personal FB.
I never brought up the duct tape. That is just tasteless. My issue lays with her posting pics of her students.
See there, I do not have kids. I would have never known. :) Things are so much different these days from when I was in school.

2quills

Too many creepers out there. Sometimes I wish we could just take all of this technology back and go back to hunting and gathering when nature (in the human world) was more balanced.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
The past 15 yrs of techno growth has really changed the playing field. Its quite amazing.
With common sense, and precaution, however, children can be protected. Its more the pre-teens and teens that you need to worry about as they are techno savvy and, of course, think they know everything.

darthtang aw

The story says a coworker found the picture not the parents. The parents didn't make a stink a coworker did. The coworker could have brought it to administration and they could have asked to have it taken down. No harm no foul instead they make a stink about it. This is like complaining about a fart with no odor. No one cared up until that point

2quills

This was a smart phone back in my day. Never could get into the facebook thing much. Social sites like that lost me back when they took my yahoo 360 away. Personal info sharing is definitely out of control IMO. Leaves us all vulnerable.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
I started doing the AOL thing in the late 90s, which was the original social networking. Talk about some crazy people and crazy things going on. After a couple of yrs I dropped AOL and decided to leave my personal life in the real world, not the internet. I visit a few forums, mostly this one of course, but that is the extent of my on-line presence anywhere.

ironeagle2006

This is nothing try being my School Board right now. Seems we had the Board VP go up to a JH Basketball Coach and his best player which from what we are told is his Son that was adopted by his Ex-Wife's Second Husband and called them BOTH Aholes during a Game and tried to hit his Son. There are 30 Complaints about this incident and the Coach and Students Parents have Filed a Lawsuit against the Board as it turns out he has a History of saying derogatory stuff about this student in the Meetings. The coach led the team to a Regional title last year and this Member wanted to FIRE him for not being Good Enough.

snakeblitz33

After watching that youtube video, I turned my location services off... I'm going to do it to my wifes iPhone too. That's just scary.
As far as that woman posting pics on facebook - I don't think she should have done it without parental consent, honestly. My wife posts pics from her class on facebook, but she has all but one permission from one student/parents. So, she has to edit her out of the pic before she posts anything. As far as the duct tape - That may have been a little uncalled for, but I don't think it is worth her loosing her job over. Her coworker needed to address her in person first, then if it wasn't resolved, then go to the principal. Some people have absolutely no common sense when it comes to reporting potential issues.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
I don't get why a teacher needs to post pictures of students on the teacher's personal FB page? Just asking for problems if you ask me. If the school has a webpage, student pics can be posted there. Student pics are posted in school newspapers and year books. What else is needed?

2quills

Were students names listed with the picture? Just wondering. I've had my photo and name listed in the old local paper several times in school for track and field. Can't recall anyone asking permision for it.

Did she make a stupid decision? Yes. Should there be some form of reprimand? Absolutely. Should she lose her job? Not a chance in Hell.
The road this country is going down in scary. Political correctness is running unchecked and is starting to get to the point of being dangerous. ACLU? Ugh.
First of all, if this country has any chance of turning things around, it's going to start with educating kids in this country. For that to be successful, you need good teachers, who are willing to take on a s**t job in a lot of cases. They already have to jump through a hundred hoops (get your masters, take continuing ed classes, get re-certified in everything every few months, go to this training, go spend more money on classes, etc). The last thing teachers need, is the fear that anything and everything will get them fired.
This women did something stupid, no doubt. However, now you have yet another person who will be on her butt looking for work. Not just anyone, but a former teacher who was fired for "just cause". And I just so happen to live about 15 minutes from Buchtel, and from what I hear she is/was a really good, well respected teacher who a lot of kids loved.
***Disclaimer*** I just felt really "conservative" writing this post, and it kinda felt good

dragonzim

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheClemsonKid http:///t/394311/going-way-too-far/20#post_3509741
They already have to jump through a hundred hoops (get your masters, take continuing ed classes, get re-certified in everything every few months, go to this training, go spend more money on classes, etc). The last thing teachers need, is the fear that anything and everything will get them fired.
All that for working 23 of the year, making over 100K after a few years on the job, free health insurance, pensions etc, etc.. At least that's how it goes in my area. And they still complain! I know someone whose wife is a middle school gym teacher making 120K a year...
Plus, once tenured it is next to impossible to fire them even if they are absolutely horrible teachers!

reefraff

Our problem is our schools have degraded to the point where we teach kids what to think instead of how to think.