Good protein skimmers

psycho

Hey everyone since my whole bleaching incident about 3 to 4 weeks ago ive managed to save my candy cane coral, green zoos, feather duster, and mushrooms, no coral died thank god, only the 3 fish I had. :-( but on a better note I'm not dealing with that lfs anymore instead I got my own 6 stage ro/di unite and install it. I also put in the auto top off from it into the sump, the protein skimmer that came with the 56 gallon tall is rather old and I would like to upgrade to a better one. there is another fish store I spoke with that has the eshopps protein skimmers, does anyone know anything about these? It has the bubble guard plate in the bottom of it, I think the one he suggested was up to 150gallon. As far as price range I can do up to 250.00 any other suggestions guys? I would like to keep a few tangs and a dwarf angel of some sort. And a few other fish adventualy, just taking it slow as the tank is rather new, don't want to over load the bio system... So any suggestions on the skimmers is appreciated.

flower

I don't know about that skimmer but IMO the Tunz or the Octopus are the best brands. Don't be afrraid to order online, most LFS don't carry the really good stuff.

psycho

Ok thanks for the helpful info ! I'll check into this brands as well! Ya he seemed pretty hard up to make a sell, but I said no I like to do research first and then buy ...... I was thinking since it's a 56g would it be over kill to have a skimmer rated at like up to 100 or 150g ? Or should I stick with one that's rated for around 75g? Also .... Another question I Have is about power heads. It's a 56g tall so I was looking at some in line that was rated for 1300 gph Is that to strong I have one in there now that came out of my nano when I upgraded it to this it's a maxi jet 900. Seems like I could use more movement so was looking at higher power heads

acrylic51

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho http:///forum/thread/387043/good-protein-skimmers#post_3402586
Hey everyone since my whole bleaching incident about 3 to 4 weeks ago ive managed to save my candy cane coral, green zoos, feather duster, and mushrooms, no coral died thank god, only the 3 fish I had. :-( but on a better note I'm not dealing with that lfs anymore instead I got my own 6 stage ro/di unite and install it. I also put in the auto top off from it into the sump, the protein skimmer that came with the 56 gallon tall is rather old and I would like to upgrade to a better one. there is another fish store I spoke with that has the eshopps protein skimmers, does anyone know anything about these? It has the bubble guard plate in the bottom of it, I think the one he suggested was up to 150gallon. As far as price range I can do up to 250.00 any other suggestions guys? I would like to keep a few tangs and a dwarf angel of some sort. And a few other fish adventualy, just taking it slow as the tank is rather new, don't want to over load the bio system... So any suggestions on the skimmers is appreciated.
Not the wisest move as far as hooking the RO/DI unit directly to the sump.....If that float valve were to stick in the sump and it goes unnoticed your salinity could start to fluctuate, or worse yet overfill your sump and run water all over your floor....
Better skimmers out there than what he suggested....I'm assuming HOB skimmer due to sump size, but I wouldn't skimp....If it means you save a couple extra weeks/months to get a quality skimmer do just that.....You'll buy lower quality equipment only to replace it down the road, and you actually saved what in the end??????
Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho http:///forum/thread/387043/good-protein-skimmers#post_3402592
Ok thanks for the helpful info ! I'll check into this brands as well! Ya he seemed pretty hard up to make a sell, but I said no I like to do research first and then buy ...... I was thinking since it's a 56g would it be over kill to have a skimmer rated at like up to 100 or 150g ? Or should I stick with one that's rated for around 75g? Also .... Another question I Have is about power heads. It's a 56g tall so I was looking at some in line that was rated for 1300 gph Is that to strong I have one in there now that came out of my nano when I upgraded it to this it's a maxi jet 900. Seems like I could use more movement so was looking at higher power heads
I think your making a wise decision.....Putting a skimmer designed for a 150 is way overkill an inefficient IMO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower
http:///forum/thread/387043/good-protein-skimmers#post_3402589
I don't know about that skimmer but IMO the Tunz or the Octopus are the best brands. Don't be afrraid to order online, most LFS don't carry the really good stuff.
Agree!!!!! The only other I'd mention is Deltec.....Probably over your price range, but a good investment and worth holding off to purchase a quality piece.....

psycho

Well the only reason I put in the auto fill is I'm gone for 3 to 4 days in a row as that is what my job requires..... My tank goes through about 4 to 5 gallons of water in that period I'm gone due to evaporation..... Would it be best to have those kind of salinity swings due to water evaporation ???? Or risk maybe the plastic float valve sticking? My significant other is there when I'm not and he is pretty knowledgable, he keeps a check on my aquarium..... So not sure which way to go there....

acrylic51

Just be mindful is all I'm saying.....That can be an accident waiting to happen....just remember during maintenance to double check that it's clear and periodically maybe take the float switch out and soak it in some vinegar.......

meowzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by acrylic51 http:///forum/thread/387043/good-protein-skimmers#post_3402603
Not the wisest move as far as hooking the RO/DI unit directly to the sump.....If that float valve were to stick in the sump and it goes unnoticed your salinity could start to fluctuate, or worse yet overfill your sump and run water all over your floor....
I knew you would say that.....
Psycho I also have my ato running into my sump of my 225G......I also have heard the warnings :( LOL
It has been like this about 2 years now....give or take a few months....I check it morning afternoon and night....and IF you have a reliable person to peek at it for you....WELLLLLL

psycho

Ya obviously the delTec is a little out of my price range.... I had mentioned to stay around 250 - 275 ish.... So I may look into the octopus brands and read some reviews on those, see what I can come up with. Anything will be better then what is in there now... Lol

acrylic51

I'm just saying Meowzer!!!!! Just because it hasn't happened to you, it has and could happen in the middle of the night while one is asleep......I just don't understand why leave yourself open to the possibility when there are safer methods other than a float valve.....An optical sensor would be far safer.

psycho

Optical sensor...... Now that's one I'm not familiar with! Can you tell me some basic info on that. :). I didn't know of any other thing then the plastic float valve. All info is appreciated! :flamed:

psycho

Ok these optical sensors ..... I'm reading online about them and seems like u can hook this up along with the float valve for a fail safe way .....

meowzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by acrylic51 http:///forum/thread/387043/good-protein-skimmers#post_3402614
I'm just saying Meowzer!!!!! Just because it hasn't happened to you, it has and could happen in the middle of the night while one is asleep......I just don't understand why leave yourself open to the possibility when there are safer methods other than a float valve.....An optical sensor would be far safer.

I know.....just alwasys seems like there is something else going on.....
tell me more abut the sensor you speak of

psycho

Hopefully this won't get yanked off here but here ya go. This is what I found. Do a search on "Optical sensor for sump water level" Here this too. http://autotopoff.com/custom/

acrylic51

An optical sensor isn't a moving float as with a float valve. All it takes with a float valve is a little build up and the float doesn't close completely and your still have water running.....Lets say the float all but closes, but your still have water input ever so slightly, all the mean time affecting your salinity.....With the optical you don't have the mechanical movement of parts.....
Another safer way would be to use a Litemeter III for precise metering of water top offs.......Alittle different than a float valve or optical sensor...but is a safer method though IMO...
Look up Tunze they have a water top off like the Osomlator which utilizes optical sensors.....

psycho

Umm if you scroll down on that web site to the GRI water sensor Control one that may be a safe way to hook up that item along with the float valve. Also I do parchel water changes once a week so any slight changes would be corrected at that time if they were that slight. But yes I agree a back up would be good. I think I'm gonna look more into thses sensor control top offs