Gun Suggestion(for protection)?

stdreb27

If you aren't gun people revolvers might be a better choice. They will fire when you pull a trigger. Since they are simpler less moving parts. They won't jam like a semi-auto can.
That being said, they won't do much if you aren't home. I have some family that years ago used to be cops. the dad and the two sons. So going to their house was like going to a gun show. They also had an akita sp? and that dog was very imposing. One week they took the dog to the vet for an operation. Their house got broken into, and their gunsafe. All their weapons were stolen. So dogs can be a very good deterant. They got their dog back and never had that issue again.

tangman99

Take her to a training class and arrange for her to try several kinds of handguns. I like automatics myself. 9mm are great but have higher penetration power than knockdown power. A 40 Cal ro 10 mm would be better. Funny no one has mentioned a 45. Awesome knock down power, less chance of penetration.
As far as automatic jamming, a lot has to do with the type of ammunition you are using. The shape of the bullet has a lot to do how well it travels up the ramp. Cheap ones can jam easily but the best can also jam with the wrong rounds.
I'm personally against ever shooting to injure someone if I feel it is a life or death situation. If you are in my house, that is exactly what it is. It is hard enough to hit a target in a high stress situation as it is. When I was in law enforcement, you were trained to shoot for mass which is the center of the chest. It was called "shoot to stop".
When it comes down to it, if your life or someone elses life is in danger, you are justified to defend yourself. In the rare situation when you may not, I believe it is better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6.
Oh, rifles are useless for home defense. Don't get me wrong, you can shoot one and hit someone but if you miss, it's going throught the next three houses. Shot guns are the weapon of least liability. If you point a shotgun at shoot them and one of the shot hits them in the head a kills them, you have know way of controlling that. If you squeeze off a round from a 9mm and hit someone between the eyes, it's pretty shows intent.
My 2 cents.

bronco300

lol, lets focus here you nuts, i'm going for protection, not murder
so it looks like a 10mm would be the best choice maybe or a revolver..so lets narrow it down to guns that are 10mm or revlovers
my gun history includes a BB gun and airsoft pistol,lol..i was a good shot with the airsoft if that means anything(of course not)

t316

Beretta 92FS. You won't get it for $200, but you will love it, and it will hold it's resale value.

phunckie

Originally Posted by Bronco300
so it looks like a 10mm would be the best choice maybe or a revolver..so lets narrow it down to guns that are 10mm or revlovers
Plan on taking a loan to purchase rounds for the 10 mm. My best friend has one, and they are very expensive to shoot. Don't plan on using too many rounds at the range target practicing....

bronco300

Originally Posted by phunckie
Plan on taking a loan to purchase rounds for the 10 mm. My best friend has one, and they are very expensive to shoot. Don't plan on using too many rounds at the range target practicing....
really? why so much
50rds for 25? that seem normal?

t316

Originally Posted by Bronco300
really? why so much
Partly because it's not as common as say, 9mm rounds or 357, etc.
With shotguns, I pay a fortune for little 410 shells vs larger 12 or 20 guage just because they are not as common, or big sellers.

acrylics

Originally Posted by phunckie
Yep, that's why I mentioned it above. If you want something bigger than 9mm, go with either .40 or .45. Both are cheap compared to 10mm and there are many more handguns chambered for them compared to 10mm.
I would above all recommend something that you can practice with without breaking the bank, hence the prior recommendation to use 9mm or .45, .40 is also good but prolly a little more expnesive than 9mm or .45.
10mm was at one time going to be the next "big round" for handguns, but some other larger rounds came out and then the .40 cal which is just about exactly the same size so 10mm lost alot of potential popularity so not as many rounds are made for it. Since not so many rounds, price goes up as it's not nearly the commodity that 9mm or .45 are (.40 now as well).
9mm and .45 are on average $10/50rnds, and you can do cheaper than that. For my 9mm, the NATO and law enforcement rounds go for $15-25/box 50. I rarely shoot the 10mm anymore as compared to the 9mm, .22, and .45. I don't own a .40 but have shot them, no complaints.

scgator

The advice that I received, on this same issue, was to get a revolver. The advice giver is a police officer and here is his reasoning.
1. Semi-autos carry more bullets but you aren't looking to win a gunfight at the OK corral.
2. The slide on a semi-auto can be difficult for a woman to grip and pull back with sweaty nervous hands.
3. When in a crisis situation you can look at a revolver and tell if you are loaded. You don't have to put a round in the chamber or check the clip to find out.
This is just what my wife and I were told. The main thing is that you, and she, MUST be willing to use it if you have it or risk it being taken from you and used on you. That was the deciding factor for us. I don't think either of us could pull the trigger.

bronco300

Originally Posted by scgator
The advice that I received, on this same issue, was to get a revolver. The advice giver is a police officer and here is his reasoning.
1. Semi-autos carry more bullets but you aren't looking to win a gunfight at the OK corral.
2. The slide on a semi-auto can be difficult for a woman to grip and pull back with sweaty nervous hands.
3. When in a crisis situation you can look at a revolver and tell if you are loaded. You don't have to put a round in the chamber or check the clip to find out.
This is just what my wife and I were told. The main thing is that you, and she, MUST be willing to use it if you have it or risk it being taken from you and used on you. That was the deciding factor for us. I don't think either of us could pull the trigger.

very true..but if i never keep the clip in the gun i could tell it has bullets...but being able to pull it back would be maybe hard under that condition

kev.1979

go with the beretta 92fs. i doesn't have a hair trigger, hardly no kick, they use these in the milatary so women can use them easily! holds 16 fully loaded! easy to clean! about 450-550 dollars new. extremely accurate!

t316

Originally Posted by kev.1979
go with the beretta 92fs. i doesn't have a hair trigger, hardly no kick, they use these in the milatary so women can use them easily! holds 16 fully loaded! easy to clean! about 450-550 dollars new. extremely accurate!

I have a 15 clip, but I think some "mass weapons" laws that came out a few years back forced them to now only sell 10 or less. But you can still find the 15's at gun shows.
And on another posts, correct that this is not a battle or shootout. You/she really only needs 1 shot. But the backups sure come in handy without having to reload.

bronco300

Originally Posted by Dlauber
While your at it I reccomend picking upsome of these
http://www.nightvisionbinoculars.com/rigel3200.html
if they ever cut the power first, you can see them ;)
I actually do want pair of those...just because it would be soo AWESOME!!! I would have no practicle use for them, but if I had the money I would definatly get em

lol, i think i'll just start using a pirates eyepatch

reefraff

I personally like the 45 automatic. That big ol hole in the barrel pointed at someone is one of the best laxitives known to man

If it's in the budget nothing wrong with a Glock but for something that going to have little use, I'd look at a Ruger. 10mm's are expensive and high volocity so Should you miss they are more prone to going out one wall and in another, and another, and another
. In your case a 9mm or 40 would be great. Has enough stopping power, isn't intemidating to shoot and shells aren't expensive.

crashbandicoot

The trick to getting around the cost of the 10 mm ammo is to use 40 cal ammo to practice with . Its the same round only shorter . We use hot load 40cal and have never jammed up in the glocks. But then this is starting to get into advanced shooting more than the arevage home defence is ment .
I loved my glock model 21 it was great then I bought my H&K usp 40 and I would never go back .

salty blues

Originally Posted by scgator
All good valid points. My wife has a Rossi .38 revolver. Fairly substantial firepower in a system she can handle.