Halo's 28JbJ Reef/Invert Nano Diary

K

kat74

Yep, you're getting that typical new tank syndrome algae bloom we all know too well called diatoms.
It will go away on its own after a little while. I hurried my bloom along by adding a bunch of CUC's, specifically a conch. I also added an additional Koralia 1 powerhead and this bloom lasted 2 days for me and then was gone.
The flaming prawn goby's are AWESOME! The most beautiful goby and yes, extremely
expensive!
I don't know much about the rock anemone's or flower anemone's. Maybe PM PerfectDark, he may be able to help you with that!

halostalker

yea Kat i got the diatom and the green little hair algae at about the same time and i still didn't detect any nitrates but i guess it don't have to be high for it to bloom like that.
the hair algae is not like the the algae i see when u have alot of nitrates its a little more short and i think a little thicker but what do i know lol=P.
yea that goby is sweet one poped up for 115 dollars and it was bought like the very next day lol(i think save my money for the harlequin pair
)
as for the anemone i'll wait after i get my other coral(that way i can see if i have room for it hehe)
K i got the bro's camera i'll try takin some picz later but i think they will be sucky(its only a 4.0 megapixel)

halostalker

k sorry for the bad shots there is all algae on the glass and the color is way off lol (its like a bluish white and in the picz its like gold/yellow idk)

halostalker

my skimmer(i love it) i also been dripping kalkwasser next to it so i think it removes phosphates too(if i have any).

halostalker

dam i ran out of salt and i ordered 160g bucket of reef crystals and its coming wed but that means i will be breaking my sunday 5gallon water chang

Do u think its alright if i scrub that tank and wait till wed to get the salt and do a change thru
I might just go to the store and waste 8.99 on 10 gallons of reef crystals =(

blazin2k6

Why so much salt ? Does your lfs not sell pre mixed saltwater ? tahts what i use. I do a weeklly 4 gallon change every week. And maybe you should turn your lights off if you are having an algae breakout like that. Your tank looks good otherwise. But hey thro a clean up crew in.

halostalker

yea well the algae bloom was to be expected and yea i don't have a huge clean up crew which is the problem so far i have
Scarlet hermit crab
Snail(i have to find out the name its pretty cool, its shell is pyramid with purple strips, its body is black and it has these hairs that extend of back to the body which i think are for it to feel around or be detect attack quicker.
pencil urchin
well yea my LFS had salt for a price that wasn't in my favor so i opted out for ordering it online which is way cheaper and i got other things in the order too (marine snow, buffers, epoxy,drip acclimation pack,and a squirter)
i could of payed 30 per 30 gallons of salt or i could of payed 50 and got 160 including shipping do the math lol
im not stressing about the algae its not that much anyway and it will be gone quicker then i can see it and also i want for this to be a exotic invert tank so i don't want just any snail or hermit in there(im ordering online pretty soon)
im getting a mix of snail and then all the cool hermits like a electric blue hermit, halloween hermit, so i'll wait plus its also good b/c im letting my tanks pods enjoy it=P

halostalker

lmao didn't see u there paintballer, yea the trio work hard together they love it (i think if i left them alone for a couple of weekz they would finish the job(thats if i don't feed the tank)

i forgot what day it is its been like 2 weekz at least=P

paintballer768

Haha so its getting there. I wanted to add what I learned from my rockwork. Try to keep it off the glass. My magfloat cant reach between the rock and glass in some areas and theres some tough, spotty green algae thats really an eyesore. And Ive got the same snail as you, and my LFS mislabeled it as red stripe snail, and if you find the ID let me know, cuz I gave up a long time ago

Always order your salt online, aside from shipping, its wayyyyy cheaper than LFS prices. Im sure you know to test the new water before adding it and such right?
And last order of business, cleanup crew size. Get about....10 blue leg hermits, and maybe 2 more small snails, and a mexican turbo. Mexican turbo gets huge, but thatll keep things way clean. Hope the best!!!

nwdyr

Paint makes a good point, get only ONE turbo, I made the mistake of getting 5 to start and they grew soooo fsat and caused allot of damage knocking over stuff
Then it was hard to get them out of the rock's, but I did finally remove them all but one and everthing is fine now! I like you rock work, comming along good, yea the alge thing isnt a big deal as long as you don't let it get outta control! Don't worry about the picture quality, most of us here just want to "see" something
I am like a little kid and get excited to see a "new tank"

halostalker

lol yea i tryed to give a inch here and there so i can scrub the glass, as for testing the salt i make the mix let it mix for a day so it gets oxygenated and i'll run a test of all the elements to see if i got a good bucket then after that i just test the salt to see where the gravity is i heat it up to 78 then i get it into my tank=P
As for the clean up crew yea i already have my order to a Online Source and i have one turbo on it. as well as 1 species of snail here and there.
as for the blue leg hermit im not geting it b/c what i have planed is one or 2 of each
scarlet hermit
electric blue hermit
electric orange hermit
Halloween hermit

halostalker

Just cleaned my tank, it took a while i actually took most of the rockz out, at least all the front ones and only left the 2 huge ones.
I used a acrylic algae pad, it actually took alot of pressure to totally get everything off so the glass would be smooth.
If anyone has a better method of cleaning the glass, let me know b/c once purple starts to creep on it it will be another half hour job lol.
So i sifted the sand so its all fresh and clean now and i put some filter floss to catch all the particals.

Some better pics once the water clears up a bit.

halostalker

last for tonight=P (suckz my camera suckz b/c its alot sicker then that and i wish i could show u the pods and worms that come out=P

halostalker

No one likes the pics lol

well i cleaned the glass the day before and all the algae is back on the glass lol i wonder when this will end hehe dam diatom