Halo's 28JbJ Reef/Invert Nano Diary

blazin2k6

What is Kalkwasser and what you use that for ? I ave never had to use that before so just curious why you need it. Crazy pics btw. Cool night shots

halostalker

thanx im far off from making good pics lol but the tank is pretty cool i love it=P, well Kalkwasser is a calcium supplement
is basically limes concentrate so u had it to fresh water and u get the word kalkwasser(its german for limewater). u have to drip it into ur tank b/c it has a PH of 12 which would be bad if u dumped in a gallon=P, but u can drip it or i sometimes pour it very slowly. u have to drip it or pour it into a high flow aread, i do it where my water flows into my sump.

peef

Looking great man! Why do you feel you need the kalkwasser at this point though? Not doggin yah just curious.

K

kat74

Well, look at you! Learnin' to take some great pics, huh??

To get rid of the hair algae, definately get a bigger clean-up crew. I got a frag of daisy polyps one time and it was covered in hair algae. I bought 6 little blue legs and it was all gone the next day! The other hermits you mentioned are nice to have, but IME, none of them do as good of a job getting rid of the hair algae like the little blue legs. My "fancier" crabs (scarlet reef, electric blue leg) walk around acting like little prissies when it comes to cleaning up what they SHOULD be cleaning up!

But seriously... everything looks good. Just get the clean up crew in there!

Oh! Congrats on the thread title change!~
I got rid of my diatom bloom almost overnight by adding an additional Koralia 1 powerhead. :)

halostalker

yay title change=P lol Peef i rather have kalkwasser in my top off water then not plus its like using purple up and soon i will have corals so i would need it anyway=P
Hey kat i have all my power heads pointed at the glass and its still coming back but now its not gold anymore its green?
so far this hair algae is kind of nice i had another type of hair algae that was gross like it was thin and grew close together this is thick and kind of spaced out and some look like pretty leaves and my pods just are walking all over it(i saw a baby spoted mandarin at the LFS it had no stomach
, i knew i shouldn't get it doh=(
the purple is still growing in between the algae so im not concerned.
i just added one more snail(turbo).

halostalker

got a shipment of supplies
epoxy
marine snow
kent's part A and B
cyclop-eeze
calcium test kit
alkalinity test kit
=P salt comes tomorrow in a bucket.

halostalker

just used my 2 new test kits
i got
calcium~350
Dkh~7
weird huh i have been dripping kalk and i stoped for a few dayz and it dropped lol hows my alkalinity looking i have a buffer part A and B idk if i should use it.

new2salt1

After doing years of research, you should have concluded a couple things:
1. Add Live Rock before
sand to maximize circulation under rocks and inside caves. You want to minimize the amount of rock that actually touches the floor of the tank. By digging the LR deep into the substrate, you are cutting off spaces for water to flow. In turn, you have created "dead spots" where detritus and uneaten food can sit and fester.
2. Tap Water has no place in this hobby, and adding LR to FW will kill everything living in the rock. You might as well stick the live rock out on your porch for a month. At least then everything will die outside of the tank.
3. The "Water Purifier" is not an RODI unit - it's a purifier. Which means it probably runs through a single carbon membrane and then comes out of your faucet. That means Phosphates, and lots of algae. You should test for Phos immediately (you should be doing that anyway).
4. All of that rock is going to mean LOTS of hiding places - dont be suprised if you rarely see these tiny, expensive inverts.
5. Im on my 3rd salt tank, and when I first fill my display tank, that is when I see the most pods. I would not take your "pod siting" as evidence that your tank can someday sustain a mandarin.
My recommendation is to take the advice that you get here seriously. You are enthusiastic about your tank and that's great
, but you need to actually stop and listen. Whatever research you have done has resulted in some pretty big mistakes. There are some vets here that will walk you through this for the next couple months, but you need to be willing to take their advice.
I wish you the best of luck with your tank.

new2salt1

Wow, just saw the pics and that algae is unlike anything I've seen.
CAN YOU TELL ME WHAT YOUR WATER SOURCE IS?

halostalker

Rodi water that test 0=P it all came when i added LR to the sump =( but oh well, hey i did add LR before LS??? plus the LR i got was really good b/c i didn't even notice a cycle.
yea the rockz are hug and lots of Hiding places but i have one hermit and i never lose him lol, i will be adding alot of inverts so having them hide and not be in plane view 100 percent of the time is good for them and me
plus i said i'll add a mandarin down the road but by then i will be trying to get all the inverts in my tank(especially the harlequins) breed and i will be growing food for them so i will always have extra stuff to feed the mandarin and im not krule if hes not doin good i'll give him away.
also the algae is kind of good now b/c not only is it disappearing but my pods are breeding, even know that i look at the tank within a inch of LR there are at least 10 pods i can count big small different species i serious when i look into the tank u can see millions of big pods that run around and are breeding (they swim in the tank like they are fish its that bad lol)
whats with adding stuff to fresh water???? i never did that

halostalker

lol i thought i wrote my whole diary pretty good i explained everything? there is alot to read so i guess u mis understood what i was saying=P
as for the algae ur right i shouldn't have it but its not spreading it is a bit longer but thats alright the purple is increasing on the LR and stealing the hair algae's spot.

halostalker

yea sorry i should be using proper writing but hey i have it hard in school with all these F'en essays and stuff where i had to right perfectly so i don't even try, what ever i think i just right down and most of the time i don't even proofread. So bear with me plz=P
my salt bucket didn't come im worried.

peef

Wow, a bit too much criticism and not enough good advice there if you ask me! I think you are doing just fine Mr. Halo. You recognize all the things that you still need for your tank, like clean up crew and such, and are taking measures to remedy it. I have never seen you not take advice or research the advice given to make sure it is correct. Keep it up! By the way, do you have a harlequin shrimp or were you getting one?
Also your fine on waiting for the salt nothing bad should happen with waiting for a few weeks.