Hammer Help!!!!!

meowzer

Ok I have a hammer coral with 2 heads...it has not been opening that much...had it a couple weeks now...today one of the heads has not opened at all....I have MH lights...is it possible for the hammer to be too high...I have it arlittle higher than mid-tank...

Depends. I can't see how large your tank is but I have a deep 47g and I keep my hammer about halfway down. I am running 150w MH with 2 T5's at 130w (total 280w). My 'halfway' down would be about at the bottom of a normal tank and I have had no issues.
I would try to move it down and get a medium flow to it.
Pic:

As of 5 minutes ago:

Notice how deep my tank is? That's why I recommend moving it down.

meowzer

My tank is a 225g...30" deep...i have 250w MH w/T-5 = 1084 watts
As of now it is 12" from top of tank, and lights are another 7" above tank...
So...sorry about not giving that info earlier...Should I move it still?

I would. Mine tank is 31" deep and with the legs of my light, my hammer sits about 26" down from the bottom of the lights. It can't hurt moving it down especially since it's not opening or the last couple of weeks.

meowzer

OK, I'll try it...I just know a lot of these corals get MAD if you disturb them and I am trying to be PATIENT...LOL

LOL. Oh if that was the case, my corals HATE me! I move them around the first week until I notice their best opening in a particular area. I have an idea where it's going to go when I buy it but it doesn't always work out that way.
Good luck and keep us posted!

meowzer

Well the one head is almost definitely gone (IMO) it is mostly white...the other head seems very limp ....I don't know if I should do anything else or not??? Any suggestions?

mr_x

change the position it's in. if it's in a dead area,put it somewhere with a little more flow, if in ahigh flow area, put it somewhere with less.
frag off the dead head. don't toss it though...just put it on the other side of the tank. i had a couple frogspawn heads die from brown jelly disease about a year ago, and spotted this on the skeleton a few months later-

meowzer

change the position it's in. if it's in a dead area,put it somewhere with a little more flow, if in ahigh flow area, put it somewhere with less.
I had just moved it Friday from a high (in tank) low flow spot..to a lower medium flow spot....Do you think I should move it again so soon???
I can not seem to get a clear pic

meowzer

Originally Posted by Mr_X
http:///forum/post/2958559
that far head looks like brown jelly to me.
So what do I do???? The funny thing is all of a sudden it looks like it is ...welllll...using the bathroom...you know how it gets that discharge...

monalisa

I never have much luck with keeping these kinds of corals yet. I see a lot of green algae around the frag (on the rock). Do you know what your calcium level is at? I've found that to be my downfall with hammers, frogspawn, bubble corals, etc.
Sorry if I missed this in the thread...just a red flag that I saw.
Good luck with your hammer.
Lisa

coraljunkie

I agree with X. looks like brown jelly to me. I had this happen to my torch coral. Cut away the infected head immediately. I took mine out and rinsed it with freshwater. Has been great ever since.