Harlequins Coming Tomorrow:)

entice59

Originally posted by BHAV_88
As was said earlier, starfish don't even have brains. I don't think they can feel any pain when the shrimp wrenches his arms off to eat.

well im just guessing... sorry for the misinformation

F

fishlovr

I just got through acclimating my harleys for a little over and hour. They weren't moving when I brought them home. After acclimating they both were moving a little. They are in the tank with lights off just sitting in the same spot together. I took my camera and shot a pic into the dark tank and this is what I got......
Hope they make it......
Janey

F

fishlovr

Thanks guys, for the replies:) They are about an inch long right now. I had taken some zenia and anthelia frags in so I had a $60.00 credit with the LFS. They cost me $50.00 worth.....I also picked up a staghorn hermit and a peacock mantis. My hubby is going to kill me!
Janey

reefsoe

Originally posted by DvSKiN
Simply Gorgeous
DVS

Yea that is some great looking Xenia!!
OH the shrimp... yea those are glorious specimens!
:D

F

fishlovr

Mantis as in mantis shrimp:) He's going in a 6 gallon tank all by himself.....here's a pic I took while he was still in the bag.
Janey

entice59

nice... i was planning to make my own mantis tank out of a 5 gallon bow in the summer, how big is it? i thought you cant put mantis shrimps in a plastic bag....

F

fishlovr

He/she is about 4 inches long right now. It was shipped in a plastic bag to my LFS....brought it home in the same bag. They are really awesome creatures:)
Janey

ophiura

Originally posted by LORDOFTHEREEF
sorry, but you don't know how resposible i really am when it comes to this hobby! for the past two years i've been trying to teach people to grow their own corals for the hobby. i've been growing coral for stores to sell to other hobbiest. not so much for the money, but to try and feel like my 0.00000001% has helped save some of the reefs that people are destoying for this hobby. i also make my own live rock for my tanks too. i sell it. but NOT for the money entirely. every time a rock is broken off a reef, it slowly kills an entire ecosystem. it really isn't good that stars are being used for food, but you know what, thats what they eat. at least the star isn't being hurt or killed. now, if those shrimp that only eat stars aren't being fed properly, THEY WILL DIE! just one more extinct animal in the world, right?

Many kudos to you, in all sincerity, for your work and dedication to sharing what you do. Perhaps you can see where your original post did not seem to demonstrate your concern? I stand corrected, and apologize.
But I hope you will understand that I am sharing what I do. I work on echinoderms, and there has been some discussion in our 'world' on what species are under the greatest threat and what those threats are. They are species that live in an endangered ecosystem, harvested to be dyed for crafts and souvenirs (and thrown out if they break in transport), and harvested for a trade where a huge majority will die from improper acclimation (a month from capture) and starvation (within a year of capture).
Sure, these shrimp may eat Linckia stars in the wild, but they do so very slowly- most of the Linckia bought for food will die much more quickly (and be replaced quickly) because they are not typically acclimated as needed (they are just food after all).
The idea of taking a chocolate chip and putting it in a sump to regenerate is not a bad consideration as well...at least chocolate chips will eat readily. I think rotating these guys in and out is a pretty good idea in fact, except that they are not reef safe :( Unfortunately, many reef safe stars will not recover from this sort of stress very easily.
Your post is similar to what I was saying above. I am saying that these stars are under a lot of stress in the wild, and that there are more reasonable alternatives for food when keeping these shrimp (freezing stars, using Asterina
sp stars, etc) (and as an aside, I also have loads of these stars but do not keep SPS corals).
It isn't right to write off these stars, just as it is not right to do so with the shrimp. They will die in most tanks, just as these shrimp will if not given the proper diet. These stars eat algal and baterial films, and few tanks can support them long term even though they are imported and sold all the time. So I can turn this argument around....most people are not providing some of these stars with the proper diet. Is it OK if people buy them and they die in a month because they were just food for the shrimp (because ultimately they will die)? I guess, it is keeping another animal alive...best to make the most of the situation.
If people don't have the shrimp but want the starfish: does it matter if they don't have the proper food and the animal dies just because they are pretty, and can be replaced cheaply? Because this is common. I think you will agree, no. But because Harlequins will eat other species of sea star, that can reproduce quickly and cheaply, I believe it is more responsible to go with that alternative.
I want people to buy shrimp and stars and be responsible about keeping them; to consider and research before they buy. I think we are on the same page here.
And, BTW folks, don't know where anyone got the idea that I think it is cruel. It is the instinct of the shrimp to do this, and they take their time with it to keep the star alive as long as possible. But don't compare this to a wild situation. Those stars die faster in captivity than in the wild. I am simply saying that one should put a bit more thought into what kind of star is used, or to make the most of each star by freezing it (which ain't too kind). Please don't make me out to be a bleeding heart. After all, I'm rooting for my green brittle to take out my 7 year old damsel. That would be pretty cool to see.

drew_tt

very well said, Ophiura!
and as for the earlier comment about harlequins going extinct if not fed (absolutely absurd)... unless you pulled them all out of the wild and let them die in captivity, theyre not going to go extinct because THEY CAN FIND their own food.
what I would be worried about is the risk posed to sensitive stars (ie linckia & fromias) because they are often harvested and killed in a short time.
Drew :S

F

fishlovr

I will post some new pics soon:) One is missing a paddle arm but I was told that it will grow back after a couple of molts. The other one was out this morning and had both of his. When I came home from babysitting my granddaughter this afternoon, I couldn't find the male. I looked everywhere. Finally, 10 minutes after I turned the lights off, I saw him with my flashlight coming out from the back of the tank. I guess they are somewhat nocturnal......I put the choc. chip into the tank before lights off and the female that was in view paid absolutlely no attention to it. I will try it again tomorrow......hopefully they two shrimp will find each other and make a den soon.....they are so beautiful!
Janey

superman

Many shrimp are nocturnal feeders so leave the lights off for a long while before feeding. And by the way my favorite thing to eat is a BIG FAT BLOODY MEDIUM RARE PRIME RIB. And you know what the cow that it came from got a bolt in the head after it was raised to be slaugtered AND...It still tasted wonderful. *Brrp*.

danrw84

curious...do these har shrimps stay out durring the day? My sexy shrimp is always out .
if i got a choc chip star fish, and put him in the display a few times a week and housed him in my fuge, would that work out?
otherwise, what starfish would i have to supply the shrimp?
i want one!

superman

As far as conserving your chocos for food, I have read a few places that if you can cut a star in half it will grow in to 2 stars. Now fact or fiction I dont know but it might be helpful if it's true.

dinhouse

Hey guys I think it is mean that we take these beautiful animals out of thier natural habitate and but them in a glass cube with fake sunlight so that we can just stare at them, talk about them all dayand force them to reproduce so that we can sell/trade them to feed our own greedy habit! LOL
Man it is a star fish and it is the prey for this shrimp get over it. If anything I think he is helping the evironment by recycling these choc stars rather than just throwing it out and having to buy another one!

ophiura

I would not try cutting the star in half. It might regenerate, or it might die fast. These are artificial oceans, not real one's. We may not have what is needed for the animal to regenerate such a large part of its body. If you want to experiment, what the heck, but use a big sharp knife and make a clean cut. Keep it well fed. Might be more interesting to try cutting off small hunks of the star (which stays in the refugium) to feed to the shrimp, while the star is nicely fed in order to regrow a small part of an arm instead of half the body.
I still believe the Asterina stars are the most cost effective and ecologically friendly choice. But that is because I am interested in cost effective and ecologically friendly solutions to a hobby that is not cost effective nor particularly ecologically friendly...though people are trying to change that.
Keep in mind the fact that choc chip stars are not reef safe. Simply because they are being eaten by shrimp, does not mean they won't chow down on corals and snails. But hey...that is the diet of these stars, so just get over it.
That is what I am going to tell everyone who has a green brittle eat a fish. Everyone freaks out about it, throws a fit...but hey, it is their natural diet so just get over it.
But that is not something people get over...that is something that people write a thread on, trade or flush the animal responsible for it.
But I like that attitude. I've try now and then to give advice or information, but now, I think this will be a good answer. Wild animals, even in captivity, will follow their instincts and eat what they normally eat. Get over it. Don't be responsible, don't do any research, don't look into the animals you are combining, just get over it. Its your tank, your choice...objects to be combined on your whim, not wild animals that have particular needs. Go ahead with that tang in your 10g. When one of them does something wrong, trade it in or toss it, like an old sofa that doesn't fit the decor. People turn in cats and dogs to the pound for behavior problems too, or because they are moving. Guess it is easier than spending time on the problem, or researching the breed. Just another object that doesn't fit the decor.
But I won't get over animals that have dismal survival records in captivity. If you don't like people telling you that, and coming up with different suggestions, sorry. But I'll continue to say it. It is as much of a fact as what those shrimp eat.
Once again, I am not talking about cruelty (read my suggestion at the start of the thread). I am talking about responsible choices and plans when keeping certain animals. Chocolate chip stars are a far better choice than other stars as a diet for these shrimp. Asterina is even better. Linckia, Fromia
and the reef safe stars are the worst choices. If you use them, freeze them, and feed small pieces to your shrimp, to make the most of one star.
Ah heck, I can't seem to get my point across, regardless of how much I write. And yes, I know you are thinking it- I do enjoy the writing, I was an academic after all ;)