HARRY POTTER - the final countdown!!!!

tangman99

They are saying that they are expecting 10 million copies to sell in the first 24 hours. That is insane. I was watching CNN and see where the "do gooders" and the "we must save the world from evil" are already burning the books.

nw2sltfsh

3 hours and 192 pages in
Interesting so far and suprising in some points as well -- I dont want to provide spoilers but this is well worth the read so far!

jacknjill

3 hours and only 192 pages?
ive been reading for aabout 1 1/2 hours and im on page 236!
IT IS SO GOOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

nw2sltfsh

Ok - during those three hours I have been attempting fill up a baby pool and hook up a slip and slide to keep kids occupied so I can read ---
Is it bad to put kids to bed at 5pm in the summer?

nw2sltfsh

After finally keeping the kids occupied and getting family to leave I have been able to finish the book. Did not honestly think I would ever cry over a book but gotta say those last 60 or so pages got to me
Awsome book - not the best so far but the most emotional
Ok so now the count down is on for book 7 way is about 846 days and counting?.....

ophiura

SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS
MAY TURN INTO DISCUSSION OF BOOK
DEFINITE SPOILERS Possible from here on out in this thread.
Oh my. Definitely the most emotional so far. Will freely admit to more than a sniffle. Not sobbing, but some tears

True to her form, those last several dozen pages are kickers.
I said to mola mola last night at dinner (I had read the first couple of chapters) that I was worried about Snape. If he was truly playing the death eater "mole" then he was doing almost too well.

I "love" the people banning and burning these books who've probably never read them, and fear the long human fascination with mythology and fantasy and ignore any other message. There is a line near the end where Harry is recounting Dumbledore's thoughts on "fighting a losing battle" and he basically says that you must fight, and fight, and fight some more to keep evil under control, even if it is never fully extinguished. I think that is a very pertinent message these days. Especially because so many in that story are willing to sacrifice so much for the concept. I think it sends a very powerful and positive message to kids.

ericp2311

Spoiler!! Don't read this if you haven't finished HBP!!
About Snape...Despite what he has done, I think he's still pretending to be a Death Eater. Ask yourself this: why was Dumbledore begging him at the end? Do you think that Dumbledore would really beg for his life? I think he was begging Snape to follow through with what he had to do for whatever reason (I suspect, to save Draco Malfoy from the wrath of Voldemort). Why did Dumbledore immobilize Harry? So Harry wouldn't interfere, IMO.
R.A.B. = Regulus Black, Sirius' brother? Hhhhhmmmmmmmmmm
Eric
P.S. Well said, Ophiura!!

f1shman

Haven't read the 4th 5th or 6th, do'h. I even bought the 4th one on CDs (to follow along with the book) haven't got to that.. lol I own the 4th and 5th, after i read those, ill pick up the 6th. By the way Eric, you ruined the book for me. LOL jk!!!! but now i know what happens at the end! lol

ophiura

Eric -
I will have to read this again because that was such a mystery. Although it could have been to hide Harry since he may not have had a chance single handedly against what was coming. Hard to tell right now. It is still sinking in (finished about an hour ago).
But you are right...Dumbledore had to be sure Harry would continue making him drink the potion, and maybe had to beg Severus do the same. I just don't know!!!

Good call there on the Regulus ID. Probably will have to go back and read all the books to try to see if any other names come to mind. But Regulus is mentioned a couple of times is he not? :thinking:
Still, I would not have guessed the half blood prince. Nor would I have guessed, though would think it at the same time entirely possible, who died.
OK, when is book 7 coming??? COUNTDOWN TIME!!!

jacknjill

OMG!!!!!!!! I am heartbroken, Dumbledore was my favorite character (after harry). I finished the book yesterday and i just sat there in shock for a couple of minutes.
I dont know what i think about snape. i dont know if he is really still on the good side and just trying to get information. Or if maybe he made the unbreakable vow to prove to he-who-must-not-be-named that he was loyal to him. I really just dont know, but throughout the whole book i was thinking he was just going to turn out to be a spy for dumbledore.
so what does everybody think about harry ginny being together and ron and hermione almost being together?

ophiura

I was happy with Harry and Ginny but he did kinda break that up in the end anyway. Priorities and all...
So is there the potential that Dumbledore pulled the ol' Obi-Won Kenobi and sacrificed himself for ???? And had some deal with Snape to do it? But I think that Snape may have just been out for himself. Had to kill Dumbledore to potentially save Draco due to that vow. Though Draco I am sure will still be punished. I'm just so confused. So much of me wants to believe that Dumbledore had to have been right in trusting Snape. But the betrayal is so much of the emotion. It demonstrates that Dumbledore's trust was blind.
Surely though, there is no return now for Snape though? If it was Dumbledore's plan, and he didn't tell anyone, well...everyone will be out to kill Snape as well. So is it just to get Snape that much closer to Voldemort? He will no longer be trusted by the order. So we would have to assume that Snape has also effectively sacrificed any future in order to win the confidence of Voldemort and get close enough to ???? kill him...but then what of the other Horcruxes?
There are so many things to sort out
So many possibilities. Ugh.

wamp

That book is the DEVIL

Never read them but liked the movies! I love how some people are making a huge deal out of a book that is all about a fairly tell.... Oh well, people have to have something in life to complain about.. At least there not complaining about me!

nw2sltfsh

Here are my thoughts ---
Snape, I believe killed Dumbeldore because of a combination of the unbreakable voe which would have killed him if he didnt follow through and becuase another deatheater surely would have if he did not. Therefore Dumbeldore may have been pleading for snape to do the killing curse instead of the cruico which would have been worse then death in his mind.
I believe still the next death will occur with a Dursley and may impact that entire family. We have been told that Harry is safe at hogwarts as long as dumbeldore is there -- that is now no longer the case
We also know that Harry is safe on Privet drive as long as the blood of his mother is in the house that he can call home. I think that the next book will start with an attack on Petunia and Dudley. So at that point Harry has no safe place.
I think that Snape is still needed to be in the good graces of the death eater - and for all we know Dumbeldore was dieing anyhow because of the ring and the dead hand spreading.
I think Snape will assist Harry in the end in killing Voldermort
but the biggest question for book 7 is who is R.A.B
we can assume it is one person or we can assume it is a group of three people and intiials to all of their first names.

annanymous

JUST MY 2 CENTS..I blieve that the person who will help harry kill Voldermort is Malfoy, because Dumbledor was the only one who showed him sympathy and tried to help [ i aso believe that Voldermort will kill his mother for Malfoy not killing Dumbledor]
as to Rab...im totaly puzzled.
i think that those 4 words Dumbledore used to say at the start of each term [tweenle, ...] have some significance that we still havent discovered.
as fpr the Horcruxes [or what ever they are spelled as] have all been disocvered, and dumbledore suspected this too, otherwise he would have prevented his own death. he simply needed proof for his theory that the rest of the Horcruxes have been destroyed and he left in peace

I STILL CAN'T BELIEVE DUMBLEDORE IS DEAD. "THERE AINT NO hOGWATRS WITHOUT HIM"

ophiura

So does anyone think the school will actually reopen or will the next book be Harry's travels around? I wonder if there is significance to Dumbledore's comment...also repeated by Harry something like "that I will never truly leave Hogwarts until there is no one left who believes in me" or something like that....Can't remember it exactly.
I think that Malfoy may owe his life to Dumbledore, as Wormtail owes his to Harry.

S

sinner's girl

When will the last book come out? I hate having to wait for the next book and having to reread the ones before it, so I'm waiting for them all to out, then I'll just take a week and read them all.