He flushed a big Yellow Tang!

raptor72

One of my friends was moving this weekend and was offering me some of his fish since he was starting from scratch when he moved into his new house. I took a filefish and some live rock but was unable to take a big 5-6" Yellow Tang since I had one in my 125 already and didn't want to deal with any fights. Well today I showed up to help him move and noticed his tank was empty. I asked him if he took the Tang to the store and he said that he flushed it instead because he didn't have time to take it to the store. This was the biggest Tang I have seen, even at any of the lfs. I couldn't believe it the rest of the time we were moving from house to house.
I told him I was going to put him on blast on the forum. Some people's kids!

S

smallreef

so that poor fish had to suffer because of his laziness???? I think he should be banned from ownership of living creatures if this is how he treats them when he doesnt have "time"...

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallreef http:///t/391100/he-flushed-a-big-yellow-tang#post_3466820
so that poor fish had to suffer because of his laziness???? I think he should be banned from ownership of living creatures if this is how he treats them when he doesnt have "time"...
I'm just wondering...not just from you, but...do any of you guys eat fish? Don't you think banned from ever owning a living creature a little rough for punishment. It was a shame, and I don't think the guy should have flushed the fish...but in the end, it is just a fish.
I don't eat fish, or shrimp or clams...eeewwww for lobster tails. Yet I really wasn't all that offended he flushed his fish....It isn't something I would have done but ban him from owning all living creatures?????

S

smallreef

I eat fish and meat that are bred or caught for eating,, I dont have a problem with living creatures being killed in a HUMANE/quick way.. but to flush it.. and I would ASSUME he also didnt bother to euthanize it prior, is a problem for me...
More over the problem of him "not having time" when I would again ASSUME he knew he was moving is just lazy.. so he didnt want to take a hour out of his day to take it to somewhere
I have had to flush fish before.. but I have also made sure they were dead before I did it...
I am of the belief that if someone has that little compassion for something he called a pet he would do it to his others too...

2quills

I wonder what kind of impact this hobby has on yellow tangs in general. Collection methods used to keep people like us supplied with these fish for our amusement leads to scenes like this and leaves me to wonder if any of us here have the moral compass and legitimacy to judge one another based on a disregard for the life and well being of such creatures.

2quills

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bang Guy http:///t/391100/he-flushed-a-big-yellow-tang#post_3466828
Is that scene hobby related? Looks like they're lined up for consumption.
Those fish were found dumped in a trash bag at a harbor in Hawaii where these fish are collected by a number of people for the hobby trade. Hawaii is known and respected by a lot of folks for it's practices in collecting fish responsibly and sustainably. But it still leaves one to wonder what is going on day by day that goes unnoticed by a lot of us and is often times over looked.
http://reefbuilders.com/2010/03/22/kona-revamps-fish-collection-yellow-tang-limited-fish-replenishment-area-swapped/

flower

...My sister and brother in Law brought home some catfish once and put them in the sink. Just set them in there and continued to visit us. Hours passed and I went to the kitchen for something to drink and noticed the fish were gasping and still alive...catfish have a lung like the beta fish.
I plugged the sink and ran some cold water...I figured there was no need to have them gasping for oxygen the last few hours of life before my brother in law killed them to eat. My sister caught me and laughed at me.... and had the whole household come to look what I had done. I don't know why, I thought it so cruel to leave them to suffer...I just wanted them comfortable until the end. When I tried to explain that...I just started crying...fish are pets...not food, at least to me. I am the only one I can control, so I do my part and leave the others to their own lives.

S

smallreef

Thats exactly what i mean Flower...i have no problem eating things that are killed humanely/quickly..which is why i normally look for kosher/hallal meat or from a farm i know how its killed...

I am probably the biggest ocean carnivore on this site. I eat basically nothing but seafood. (My avatar probably confirms this)
I have caught thousands of fish for food from the ocean, lake, river etc.
Flushing a fish like a tang that is in good health is beyond me. Dude obviously doesnt have any respect for ornamental oceanic life whatsoever. Yeah it's just a fish but this is just stupid.

njbillyv

Wow some sad story.
Check this out...We had these weird neighbors a while back that had three old house cats. Nice cats, friendly and all. Had them for years. They decide to buy new carpet and didn't want the cats messing it up, so they had them euthenized, all three of them. Perfectly healthy cats, gone. I was like WTF is wrong with you people, and the wife started to cry. Turns out the hubby insisted they do it against her wishes, guess she just let him have his way. Couple of months later she left him, I never got the story but I bet that had something to do with it.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBillyV http:///t/391100/he-flushed-a-big-yellow-tang#post_3471618
Wow some sad story.
Check this out...We had these weird neighbors a while back that had three old house cats. Nice cats, friendly and all. Had them for years. They decide to buy new carpet and didn't want the cats messing it up, so they had them euthenized, all three of them. Perfectly healthy cats, gone. I was like WTF is wrong with you people, and the wife started to cry. Turns out the hubby insisted they do it against her wishes, guess she just let him have his way. Couple of months later she left him, I never got the story but I bet that had something to do with it.
It sounds like abuse to me, there are men who control thier wives even to the point where they cut off family and friends. If that was the case, his punishment for her "misbehavior" was taking her cats, the carpet was a cover up. You know, like the bruse on a womans face is where she fell...

njbillyv

Yea there was some crazy stuff going on over there, no doubt. But how can you take pets you've had for years and just have them killed? That is some seriously twisted behavior there. And so is flushing a living fish for that matter.

S

siptang

wow..... killing perfectly fine cats.. and the vets were ok with this???

njbillyv

I have no idea. They told me they got rid of them, which they obviously did, I asked what they did with them and they said they were put to sleep. I asked why they didn't just find good homes for them or give them away, something, and they said they tried but nobody would take old cats. At that point I figured I'd drop it.