Hello

marysantos

Quote:
Originally Posted by meowzer http:///forum/thread/383634/hello/60#post_3357077
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarySantos
http:///forum/thread/383634/hello/60#post_3357076
OK...BUT how did you do it? You should mix the salt for 24 hours, using a powerhead and a heater
temp is not a real biggie right now either since you are just starting out, but it would help to mix the water thoroughly ~Oh! I did not do that... So I should have the powerhead on for 24 hours before doing the SG? I have my results from the kit: High Range pH-8.2/ Ammonia-0.50 ppm/ Nitrite- 0ppm/ Nitrate-0ppm... I'm going to test again tomorrow... It'll probably change then right?

monsinour

i would not use carbon right now as it will be removing what you are testing for. Save the carbon until after the cycle is complete. The best way to mix SW for a small tank would be to use the 5g bucket with as small a ph as you can find. Once all the water is in there, start adding salt 1 cup at a time. slowly. Once you have the desired salt in the water, let it mix overnight. Since you have no fish or other inhabitants, keeping it warm isnt that big of deal. I place my mixing tub near a furnace vent to help keep it warm. But what heats my water is the carpy pump i use to mix it. It adds heat to the water and my mixing water is usually warmer than my tank water.
1 shrimp is fine and it might take 2 days for the ammonia to go up. Have fun!

marysantos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monsinour http:///forum/thread/383634/hello/60#post_3357092
i would not use carbon right now as it will be removing what you are testing for. Save the carbon until after the cycle is complete. The best way to mix SW for a small tank would be to use the 5g bucket with as small a ph as you can find. Once all the water is in there, start adding salt 1 cup at a time. slowly. Once you have the desired salt in the water, let it mix overnight. Since you have no fish or other inhabitants, keeping it warm isnt that big of deal. I place my mixing tub near a furnace vent to help keep it warm. But what heats my water is the carpy pump i use to mix it. It adds heat to the water and my mixing water is usually warmer than my tank water.
1 shrimp is fine and it might take 2 days for the ammonia to go up. Have fun! ~I will, thank you! I took the carbon out, but I'm still running the filter. I'm going to test the water again tomorrow. I wish I knew what to expect. I'm thinking a 0ppm in nitrate and nitrite isn't a bad start. :)

monsinour

a great start is high ammonia with zeros for the others. then the start goes along and ammonia goes down and nitrites go up with nitrates at or near 0. Eventually ammonia and nitrite are 0 and you have some nitrate reading. Once its like that, zeros for 2 and something for the other, for a week, its time to add the CUC.

marysantos

The water's clearing up, I'm going to wait to test the water until 3 so that its been 24 hours. The water cleared a little, but it's still cloudy. Maybe the powerhead is too strong? Not sure but the sand has moved on opposite sides of where the powerhead is shooting water. Maybe when I add live rock, and have the powerhead towards it, it won't move the sand so much.
I wanted to thank everyone for their help! I'm very excited about starting the hobby.

sapper577

Hi MarySantos ! Welcome to the hobby ! I have been out of the hobby for a few years and am currently into a 75 gl build. I, like your husband have been deployed, ( twice since 9/11 ) and hope this tank does not get interupted by another mobilization. During my last trip to Afghanistan, the ice storm of Jan 2009 left my daughter and ex-wife dealing with the loss of evreything in her 75 GL reef setup. No power for almost two weeks here in eastern KY. I just fininshed getting her squared away and she has been up and running for about 2 months now. If you don't mind me asking. What branch of the military is your husband in and where is he deployed ??

monsinour

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarySantos http:///forum/thread/383634/hello/60#post_3357245
The water's clearing up, I'm going to wait to test the water until 3 so that its been 24 hours. The water cleared a little, but it's still cloudy. Maybe the powerhead is too strong? Not sure but the sand has moved on opposite sides of where the powerhead is shooting water. Maybe when I add live rock, and have the powerhead towards it, it won't move the sand so much.
I wanted to thank everyone for their help! I'm very excited about starting the hobby.
Since there isnt anything alive in the tank, why not point the PH towards the surface instead of the sand bed? It will still circulate, but this will enhance the CO2 and O2 exchange. It should also not disturb the sand bed so much. Once the rock is in there, make sure that the PH is not causing a sandstorm down there.

marysantos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monsinour http:///forum/thread/383634/hello/60#post_3357358
Since there isnt anything alive in the tank, why not point the PH towards the surface instead of the sand bed? It will still circulate, but this will enhance the CO2 and O2 exchange. It should also not disturb the sand bed so much. Once the rock is in there, make sure that the PH is not causing a sandstorm down there. ~I just moved it up. :) it isn't moving the sand anymore.
I have my test results for today:
SG~ 1.024
pH~ 8.0
Ammonia~ 1.0ppm
Nitrite~ 0ppm
Nitrate~ 0ppm

marysantos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapper577 http:///forum/thread/383634/hello/60#post_3357351
Hi MarySantos ! Welcome to the hobby ! I have been out of the hobby for a few years and am currently into a 75 gl build. I, like your husband have been deployed, ( twice since 9/11 ) and hope this tank does not get interupted by another mobilization. During my last trip to Afghanistan, the ice storm of Jan 2009 left my daughter and ex-wife dealing with the loss of evreything in her 75 GL reef setup. No power for almost two weeks here in eastern KY. I just fininshed getting her squared away and she has been up and running for about 2 months now. If you don't mind me asking. What branch of the military is your husband in and where is he deployed ?? ~Oh wow, thank you. I know the sacrifice you make, so thank you and thank your wife and family for being strong with you for me. My husband is in the Army, this is his third deployment since he joined.