Hello!

Cyrus Stinson

Hey all,

I am new to the hobby and have a new tank cycling. I have been searching and searching for the answer to this question, but I just haven't been able to find it and I figured it best to just join a forum and ask.

So I have a 60 Gallon tank. Currently it has live rock and live sand in it. Now, I used tap water(my local store told me that's what they use) and after I kept doing more and more research... my RO/DI system will be here tomorrow. The tank has been cycling since Sunday, so it has only been a couple days. When my unit arrives tomorrow, am I going to need to just do a 100% water change and mix all new saltwater? I have been looking at all my levels and they are coming back acceptable as far as Nitrite, Nitrate, Amonia, and pH. I know that there could be other elements in this water though due to the tap, but some say that it will evaporate out after some time, but I think that opinions on this are so varied. I will have the cleaning vacuum that connects to my sink here on Monday, so I will be able to go ahead and do the water change, but I know that I will need to go buy a brute bin to mix the new RO/DI and salt if I will need to do the full water change.
I just don't want to "test the waters" with fish or anything because they are living. I'm not one to just sacrifice another living creature. Personally, I'd really like to get a hang of the water FIRST and then move on to introducing living anything.

So, full water change? Partial water change? No water change? The tap water that has been cycling for three days now was treated with dechlorinator and a cycle jump start.

Thanks for all the help in advance!

-Cyrus

lmforbis

A lot of us started with tap water. Looks like you have learned early on not to believe everything the fish store tells you. If they use tap for their tanks I would be inclined to not trust them or their livestock. There are good fish stores out there who give solid advice but they are in the minority. Forums are a really good place to get info.
Once your cycle is complete, ammonia and nitrites are 0 you will want to do a significant water change no matter what type of water you started with to get the nitrates down.. Doing the water change Earlier than that you will just be prolonging the cycle. Are you providing food for the new bacteria you are culturing by ghost feeding or putting a a raw shrimp in the tank to decay. A true cycle can take 4 to 6 weeks before there is adequate bacteria built up to handle fish. In order to build that bacteria, even starting with a bacteria in a bottle product, you need to feed it. That is where ghost feeding or a raw shrimp come in. They provide the ammonia as they decay, feeding the bacteria.
Only the actual water in tap water (salt water too) will evaporate. All the contaminants in the water, with the exception of gasses, will stay in the water. Continuing to use tap will concentrate them. Water changes will dilute them as long as all future water is RODI.

geridoc

At this point I don't think you need to obsess about having used tap water. After your ammonia and nitrites come down to zero do a water change, about 25-30% is fine. After that, continue to do regular water changes every month (20-25% is sufficient). You might see a spike in diatoms (microscopic brown organisms) for a few days, and might have a hair algae problem later, but these are manageable as part of good tank maintenance anyway. Good luck, and welcome to the formums.

Cyrus Stinson

Really appreciating all of the info. I found a store close by(about 40 mins) that is specific to saltwater tanks. I've seen a couple places around me, and checked in on them, but they never seemed to clean. I did a bit of snooping online of this new place I found and they seem very modern, organized, and clean. It also sounds like their staff is really knowledgeable. I'll pick up something today to feed the bacteria and get my bucket filling so I can start mixing the new RO/DI water and salt this evening. I've been using the strips for testing, but I went ahead and also ordered a newer testing kit.
Would it be beneficial at any point soon to start a copepod culture on my live rock? In the future I'd really like to get a mandarin, but I want to be certain they have enough food. Found a couple ways to get brine shrimp hatched and spot fed to them as well. This is a goal fish for the future, but from what the requirements seem to be, I should start their food supply.
I'm glad that I joined. I think you all are right, I will learn a lot more from the forums than I could just by myself.

Also, I'm trying to raise my specific gravity up in my tank. What is your best recommendation on successfully doing this? Just add a little extra salt than what is suggested?

bang guy

To raise salinity all you have to do is use saltwater to topoff instead of fresh water. No need to use extra strong saltwater, just a regular batch to replace what evaporates until it is where you want it.

Good live rock will already have Copepods, Amphipods, and probably some Isopods. Often it will also come with Ostracods but they are a bit more delicate and may die off during the cycle unless you keep ammonia fairly low.

flower

Hi, Welcome to the forum... This is a great place for learning all about keeping your Saltwater tank.

Just a question...how did you kick start your cycle? You need ammonia to get things moving along, the live rock isn't always enough. I used a chunk of raw shrimp, ghost feeding an invisible fish flake food, works really well.

Cyrus Stinson

I have a raw shrimp hanging out at the bottom. Today I tested with a more professional kit I purchased. It uses drops mixed with the tank water. Ammonia and nitrites are both 0 at this point. My Nitrate levels appear to be at around 10ppm. Is there an ideal range for the nitrate levels you all prefer?

flower

I have a raw shrimp hanging out at the bottom. Today I tested with a more professional kit I purchased. It uses drops mixed with the tank water. Ammonia and nitrites are both 0 at this point. My Nitrate levels appear to be at around 10ppm. Is there an ideal range for the nitrate levels you all prefer?

LOL...Ideal levels for nitrate...0
Inverts can stand them as long as it's under 40
Some Corals no higher than 20... SPS has no tolerance

Once your cycle is complete, remove the shrimp, and ghost feed an invisible fish for another week, just to be double sure...if the Nitrites and ammonia still read 0. The tank is cycled. You can add ONE fish. I recommend a quarantine tank, not only will it prevent parasites and disease in the display, but it will help you regulate how quickly you add fish (too many, too fast, is the #1 reason for crashes in a new system)

Cyrus Stinson

I will do that. I'll head over to my fish store tomorrow and pick up some food. As well as a quarantine tank. I found this really great local store that specializes only in salt water aquariums. The owner was so helpful and friendly. So it's nice to know I've got something like this nearby that I'll be able to get quality products from. Instead of a fish at first, what are thoughts on a shrimp as the initial animal?
I really appreciate how helpful and welcoming you've all been to me!

Last edited:

Cyrus Stinson

So, I'm sorry for the double post, but I'm needing some help. My Ammonia was at 0. Now it seems to have gone up. Is this that spike they are talking about that is supposed to happen? I took the shrimp out. Should I go ahead and start phantom feeding or do I need to just let it run this course now. My Nitrites have never been an issue. They have consistently tested at 0. The nitrates were at 40ppm. They seem to be down from 40 ppm to between 5 and 10 ppm. The Ammonia is at around 0.25 according to my test kit.

flower

I will do that. I'll head over to my fish store tomorrow and pick up some food. As well as a quarantine tank. I found this really great local store that specializes only in salt water aquariums. The owner was so helpful and friendly. So it's nice to know I've got something like this nearby that I'll be able to get quality products from. Instead of a fish at first, what are thoughts on a shrimp as the initial animal?
I really appreciate how helpful and welcoming you've all been to me!
Hi,

Just some advice. When dealing with the local fish store (LFS). Always go into the store knowing what you want or need, don't get advice from them...for advice search on-line, read a book, or check here at this site. It's great to have a LFS close by, but it isn't smart to go asking them for help, most have selling you stuff as their main priority, and there are lots of JUNK on the market. We don't want to sell you anything, keeping fish tanks is the a simple love of the hobby for us. Once you know what you want or need, THEN go to the store armed with that knowledge. Doing that will save you lots of money and headaches.

A shrimp is a delicate creature, you can certainly get one first... they don't do well with any sudden changes, so you must acclimate them very slowly. You wouldn't have to quarantine them, inverts are immune to parasites such as Ich. Some folks quarantine everything, taking no chances, that's good advice too.

Nearly all new fish should be quarantined, an exception being a sand sifting goby, they must go right into the display since they need the fauna in the sand to survive.

jay0705

Alright. Thank you! lol I think its just beginner paranoia. I'm so concerned that I am doing the right thing
Lol your fine. Just take your time no need to rush. The shrimp , like flower said is fine but acclimate very slowly . Drip acclimate is best. Also there not tolerant of high nitrate, so make sure that's Under Control

beaslbob

If not mentioned already I like using and recommend adding macro algae in the refugium.

But that's just me and my .02

(BTW wife got a 60g a few months back. We have many "discussions" concerning the tank.) :confused:

Last edited:

iidylii

welcome to the forum...and yes it can be nerve racking at first not knowing exactly what your doing but slow and steady is the way this hobby seems to work best :D

don't be afraid to ask questions...I do it all the time and think I am being a pain in the butt to everyone for asking so many questions but like I said lots of these guys give great advice...

60 gallon is a pretty decent sized tank and you will have a pretty nice selection of fish with that size tank :D

Cyrus Stinson

Thank you everyone for being so helpful. My levels finally went to normal and I am adding my first fish as we speak. Currently being acclimated. It's a little mocha clownfish. I'm so nervous. I just want everything to be ok. This is my first addition and I feel will always have a special place. I feel like you could never forget your first fish when you first start out in this hobby.

I am hopeful it's a good sign that this fish is really active. He's swimming all over in the bag. He was swimming all over as soon as I could see him when I opened the packaging. (Was an online purchase as most of my fish will be)