Help me kill my fish!

runn3rb3an

Originally Posted by T316
http:///forum/post/3173490
FLUSH HIM...

Not saying we all don't have our favorites, and we all hold some degree of sadness/dignity, but it's a freakin' fish....say your goodbyes and push the lever.
+1 its just a fish! man up and kill it already, youve already been making it suffer while you decide on how to kill it all this time if thats what your worried about...

runn3rb3an

cruel and heartless? Throwing a fish in chemicals and watching it die for 30min to an hour untill its gills stop moving is suppose to be better for this person? Do what you want but im pretty sure the o.p didnt want to watch the fish suffer...flushing it takes all of 5 seconds, I guess its all personal opinion but mine is that the methods of freezing it overnight and going out to buy chemicals to slowly watch it die are a little much

cranberry

These methods have been studied. There are acceptable ways and unacceptable.
But the point isn't whether you agree with the methods suggested or not. I would have no problem with you suggesting another method you thought was more appropriate, whatever it was.... But Man it up and kill it already? Really? You think that is helpful? I'm not here to be anyone's Mama, but that's a real insensitive and ignorant thing to say.

sepulatian

Why are you giving up on this fish??? I have peeled a fish off of the floor and watched it come back. Why can't he live?

aquaknight

Originally Posted by T316
http:///forum/post/3173490
FLUSH HIM...

Not saying we all don't have our favorites, and we all hold some degree of sadness/dignity, but it's a freakin' fish....say your goodbyes and push the lever.
Well, there is some legitimacy to it's worthiness to study. Specifically dealing with fish too large to flush, such as when I had to put down my Harlequin Tusk...
Not sure I agree with whereever Supra got that info, mainly the freezer method. This is mostly uneducated, which I know I shouldn't do, but based on personal thoughts/experience. I used to witness something similar every year in February, when we'd actually get near freezing temps in Broward County. The nuisance wild iguanas just slowly turn into popsicles. If they really were in any sorts of pain, they would attempt to do something, other then lay on the tree branch, till they fall off dead... I really think the shock he's eluding to, involves other water parameters, then temperature.

mie

Thanks for the advice. He died today. We buried him. (to big to flush) I did man up. I respected how my wife felt, as she was crying over the thought of me quickly killing the fish.

novahobbies

Man, I'm sorry. Even if it was "just a fish" as some would say, it's still a pet. Some of us get pretty attached to our finned, feathered, or furry companions. Sorry for your loss.

sanchoy

wow..sorry for you loss bro..
but there is plenty of ways to kill a fish.. Most of us try to make them live.

cranberry

Originally Posted by sanchoy
http:///forum/post/3175437
Most of us try to make them live.
IMO, there's nothing wrong with putting down a super sick fish, if done so correctly. Different people have different levels of tolerability for suffering.

t316

Originally Posted by Cranberry
http:///forum/post/3175520
Different people have different levels of tolerability for suffering.
I think most of us dislike seeing an animal suffer, so we are probably all in agreement there. The real difference is our level of being able to handle carrying out the method. Why do you think beheadings and hangings were abolished? Even though it was the quickest of deaths, people can't handle viewing/participating in it. So we went to the electric chair (yeah, that really helped) and now lethal injection.

cranberry

I'm not saying having more or less tolerability than another person is right or wrong, of course... it just "is". In some regards I have a high tolerability for suffering... every day in my job I deal with the suffering of little babies. A lot of this suffering I directly cause. You have to have a thick skin to work where I do. But you also have to be uber "soft" to work with the population I do. It's kind of a weird mix.
So you think, having this tolerance I do, I would be the first to let a fish linger on until they pass "naturally". I'll be honest and say I'm probably one of the first to put them down when I feel the suffering outweighs the benefits and existence of suffering.