Help with mushroom control please

wrassecal

I'm having trouble keeping my mushrooms under control. They are spreading around the tank. What would be the best way to get rid of the strays. I would like to get them off and put them on some lr to give away but, I'm afraid I'll end up "fragging" them by leaving pieces on the rock and multiplying my multilplying problem.

bdhough

HAHAHA good point. If its feasible to do take out the rock and toothbrush the spot the mushroom was on.... I'm sure there is another way. Maybe a mushroom eater. I don't know of one though....

dzones

personally i think the best way would be to have the live rock packaged with the shroom(s) and sent directly to me. i personally will put it in my tank for you..no questions asked...REALLY!
LOL
good luck!
:D :D :D

birdy

I have not done this, but i have been thinking about ways to control some shrooms and yellow polyps also, I was thinking you could frag the top of the shroom and then inject the stalk with some kalk paste. If anyone thinks this wouldn't work then please speak up :)

wrassecal

Birdy let me know how that goes. I really am starting to have a problem with this. There at least 4 places in the tank where they have started up in areas that I don't want them.

T

thomas712

1 part kalk paste
1 part IO
1 part buffer.
Inject.
One dead shroom.
Just guessing.

donjasper

I don't have that problem with my aquarium, but with my dirt garden I try and not have a lot of empty space. Empty space is simply a "For Sale" sign to weeds. A weed being anything that I don't want growing in that space.

lesleybird

How about mushroom soup? Wonder if sea mushrooms are any good? Are they poisionous? I think I should make some and try it on someone I don't like first? Lesley

wrassecal

HEY! I'm a serious aquarist here with a serious problem!!!! OK, I'll take Kips tank, Greg can have my rocks then we'll all be happy. Well, that settles it folks.
Should this arrangement not work out, I guess I'll just zap the darn things, maybe use Thomas's killer cocktail.:eek:

dbennett78

Why kill them. Just attach some that you dont want to a small rock either live or dead and ship them to me. I am looking for a good starter coral

drakken

Originally posted by Wrassecal
HEY! I'm a serious aquarist here with a serious problem!!!! OK, I'll take Kips tank, Greg can have my rocks then we'll all be happy. Well, that settles it folks.
Should this arrangement not work out, I guess I'll just zap the darn things, maybe use Thomas's killer cocktail.:eek:

Why don't you sell them to your LFS?

J

joecavender

try scrubing the rocks and rinsing in water changes and please email me and tell me how you came to have the problem want do you add to the tank? how long has it been up? do you have a uv st. on it? email at thewildjoe1975@wmconnect.com

wrassecal

Here is what I think I'm going to do. I am going to frag them by cutting them at the base and putting the frags onto smallish pieces of live rock, net and band them and put them into the tank to attach. The area left on the rock I am going to zap with a little kalk paste or something to make sure they don't come back. Here are 7 that have sprung up on a rock on left side of tank...