Help

Mckenzie

2 days ago I checked my levels and the ammonia level was fine. Yesterday I bought 2 clowns, a wrasse, a royal gamma, pincushion urchin, and a cleaner shrimp. Today when I woke up the wrasse was dead and all the other fish were dying slowly. I checked the levels and my ammonia had spiked overnight. I did a water change and checked the levels again and the ammonia was significantly lower but all my fish still died afterwards. What did I do wrong?
I noticed there’s little fry looking things swimming around could that be it? I guessing they’re baby snails but I have no clue. Oh and now I just have a tank full of snails will they starve and die without fish in the tank? Tank was fully cycled.

lmforbis

Never add more than one fish at a time.
Always quarantine 30 days before adding to your display
Always check the salinity of the bag the fish are in and make sure it matches the tank you are putting them in. Many suppliers run lower salinity. In a quarantine you can adjust the tank salinity of the tank to match the bag. If you don’t they suffer osmotic shock and die.
Urchins need a mature tank and a very slow drip aclitimazation, >3 hrs. They should never be out of the water.
Shrimp are easier but they are sensitive to water quality and will die if it isn’t perfect. Again I wouldn’t add till the tank is older, maybe 6 months of stability.

Mckenzie

Never add more than one fish at a time.
Always quarantine 30 days before adding to your display
Always check the salinity of the bag the fish are in and make sure it matches the tank you are putting them in. Many suppliers run lower salinity. In a quarantine you can adjust the tank salinity of the tank to match the bag. If you don’t they suffer osmotic shock and die.
Urchins need a mature tank and a very slow drip aclitimazation, >3 hrs. They should never be out of the water.
Shrimp are easier but they are sensitive to water quality and will die if it isn’t perfect. Again I wouldn’t add till the tank is older, maybe 6 months of stability.
I’m going to take your advice! The tanks been up for about 2 months so I’m going to wait 4 more months to add anything. In the meantime though what do I do with the snails?

silverado61

Just ghost feed your tank a pinch of flake a day to keep you system balanced and provide food for the snails.