hlcroghan's 29 gallon thread......

hlcroghan

Wow!!
Thanks so much! I am going for alot of color with way more corals but it sure is taking a while....lol.........i wish i could just buy up all the awesome corals I see but slow is better anyway so it's prolly better that my money isnt unlimited....lol

hlcroghan

Okay, my fish, porcelain crab, zoos, and snails are here!! I am taking them home at lunch, putting them in the tank and then I will get photos up tonight....
I was at the LFS last night because they were having a sale of buy $100, get $25 off so I got some odds and ends I have been needing and my bf bought me this gorgeous duncan!!
It is pink with neon green mouths!! I got it in there but it was a little harder than I thought it would be.
It was my first time securing a frag that wasn't already on a frag plug ......My emerald crab immediately jumped on it and started cleaning algae off of it and actually took a couple tiny bites off of one of the tentacles on the head!!!
He stopped after the second bite and kind of flipped out though so I think that he got a mouthfull of something he didn't like....lol. He better stop or he is going back to the store.....I have never heard of them doing that before though!! Anyone else?????
And I also got............
A beautiful bubble tip anemone! It is medium green with bright pink tips. I put it in an area that I had set up for it and it has opened up and did not move at all when the lights were out so hopefully it is happy there. It looks very healthy so far and put it's foot down about an hour afer it was introduced. It is about 4 inches across or so.....I promise I will get pics up.....
I considered the age of my tank a while before purchasing the anemone but you know, everything has been so stable with my tests and I haven't had any problems with anything at all as of yet. I also considered the lighting as Spanko suggested and talked to some people who have the same lighting as me and one of them has kept a bubbletip successfully for a year or so with similar lighting. I will keep a very close eye on him though for any signs of bleaching. So far, all is well!!

hlcroghan

Yes they are big. So much more beautiful in person too.....that camera just isn't designed to take small picks. It has a nano setting but it makes poster sized pictures. I prolly need to invest in one similar to what DeMartini has so I can take more detailed pictures.
That is funny that you mention the background.......we were just talking about that last night. I am thinking black to match the sand . I may pick something up in the next week or so. I don't like the look of the equipment either. At the rate the corraline is growing it should be purple soon anyway.....lol
Actually the glass was clean......lol. I can't seem to get the inside to look clean......I just scrubbed it yesterday and even right when I was done it still looked kind of hazy. I wonder if anyone has any tips for doing it.

worrballer

What are you using to clean the inside?
I recommend the MagFloat. It looks like the hard side of velcro to clean the inside of the tank and on the outside it has just a pad to keep from scratching. Surprisingly that pad does a decent job of cleaning the water spots.
Oh and +1 on the black background.

hlcroghan

I have one of those generic pads for cleaning the inside. It is made for glass aquariums. It removed the green hard algae as well but seems to leave the glass hazy. I have heard the magfloat was good but also that it gets dirty easily......so I don't know. Maybe I will get one anyway and try it out.
You said the pad on the outside removes water spots too?? Boy that is irritating. It seems like I am constantly wiping the glass because I am in my tank almost every day. And windex doesn't seem to clean it well. I have heard vinegar works better.

worrballer

I'd keep any chemicals away from the tank. If the magfloat doesn't work you can wipe the outside with a wet rag then clean up with a dry rag and polish with paper towels or napkins.

hlcroghan

+1 on the chemicals......i thought that was the best option for cleaning it though. You think a wet rag works better though and then dry it? I will try that tonight and let you know how it works out.
i am seriously looking a red modern coral for the sandbed......they are beautiful. and it will give me a nice red splash in the tank........

spanko

What's causing the water spots on the outside of the tank?
I use a wet paper towel and a dry one on the outside most of the time. Sometimes I will use vinegar on a paper towel if the grandkids have been over with thier sticky fingers and noses!!!

hlcroghan

Just me being a messy tank cleaner....lol. I drip water down my arms when I work in the tank and it drips down the outside so I am the sticky-fingered child more or less...LOL........I hand feed my mandarin and goby every day so I have my hand in the tank every afternoon....

hlcroghan

Well, I figured out that haze on the glass is actually on the inside of the tank. It is an old tank so maybe that is why. It will be my refugium eventually anyway. I can actually see the imprint of where my old cheap thermometer used to hang when I had my cichlids.....have no idea how to get that off of there......weird. The paper towel suggestion that Spanko and Worrballer mentioned did work much better for the outside though.
On a cooler note, I looked at my tank this morning and there was my porcelain crab sitting right in my anemone hosting it!!
Silly clowns! Ha ha...giving up their house, I guess. I will take a couple pics tonight. My bubbletip has not moved at all since I put him in that spot except to maybe lean more toward the left which makes sense since there is more light there.
It is so pretty!! It ate a couple tiny pieces of mysis last night. It must have been hungry because it stuck them right in it's mouth and was all opened up again in like 10 minutes. I may just give it one tiny peice of food when I feed my tank every day. I would think that would be healthier than one big piece once a week.

hlcroghan

OK so my anemone did that pooping thing last night....freaked me out at first but then I was uber thankful that I had read about it so many times here or I prolly would have ripped it out of the tank thinking it was dying....lol. Luckily by about midnight last night it had started to poof up again and this morning it was beautiful as ever!! I wonder if they are more hungry right after they expel like that and I should feed it or if I should give it a day to recover and feed it tomorrow?

hlcroghan

So I haven't posted on my thread in a while so I thought I would give some updates.
Not much has changed honestly. Summertime is super expensive for me so I haven't really spent anything, plus I went to Vegas for the the week for my birthday on the 21st.
I am just kind of letting everything grow in my tank. I have several new heads on my zoos, a couple new tiny duncan heads and my xenia is starting to spread up my rocks. My coralline growth is covering the back of the tank and the rocks nicely.
I do have some issues that keep arising though. First I cannot keep my calcium up. I can only assume it is being used. I stays at around 380. I know there is enough mag and all that and the ph is good at 8.4 so I don't know.....
The other one is my nitrates. I assume I am overfeeding. Mostly that is due to my mandarin I believe because I make sure he is fed everyday as much as I think he can eat without it having adverse effects on him. He is nice and fat. However they are staying right at 40 constantly. Even after water changes of 10% they don't change. All the other tests are 0. Maybe its the test kit? But it was new and it measured 0 for while and then started to rise after livestock went in so that seems normal. I haven't noticed any problems with any of the fish or inverts at all. If anything, they are growing like crazy. My emerald crab has doubled in size since I bought him. He looks like godzilla wandering around the tank.
Anyway, if anyone has ideas, throw them my way. I am using chemipure elite, chaeto, doing water changes 2x per week (about 12% total), I cleaned out my filter to rid the waste, etc.
I am thinking about cutting down feedings a bit. Maybe only feeding 5x per week instead of 7 but I am concerned that they should eat everyday in small amounts.......
Maybe if nothing bad is happening, don't worry? I am concerned about the long term effects though. My anemone is still fine as well......

worrballer

380 sounds fine to me. What do you need it higher for?
And I thought 8.4 was a little high for pH.
I would buy live copopods or breed brine shrimp. Live stuff won't add to your waste, they'll eat it! lol
And IMO, I'd cut back feeding to every other day.
Other than that, keep on keepin' on!