hlcroghan's 29 gallon thread......

spanko

Not going to be enough light IMO. Let's see if there are some others out there that will chime in though.

hlcroghan

Thanks for the input....... i am not in any kind of rush anyway but i would like one. i know false percs will host some corals too. Any that are sufficient with my lighting? frogspawn...elegance??

hlcroghan

I would plan on feeding it about once a week too but if it is going to die then I definitely don't want it. What does anyone think is the best coral to put in place of the anemone that an ocellaris would host?

hlcroghan

So I finally got my 20w submersible marina led light for my refugium. I am going to the store to get chaeto to add. i am pretty excited. I have an on the back filter rated for 60 gallons with two separate sides and so one side is going to be the carbon filter and one side will be some lr and chaeto. I also will add some pods so they have a safe place to breed in my tank, so I should be getting that order in on Monday........

And......on the side note, i have decided to veto the anemone altogether. My lighting may be sufficient but I am too much of a wussie to try it anyway........
I have decided I want to get an elegance as a show peice for my tank and then a torch coral for up high on the right side. I found a gorgeous metallic green one that I am going to order today. the rest will all be nonaggressive zoos and ricordeas......I have this enormous list. LOL It is more than would ever fit in my tank lol......

hlcroghan

Originally Posted by spanko
http:///forum/post/2984887
Do research the Elegance Catalaphyllia sp.
in depth prior to your purchase please.

What was your question about it going into my tank?? or are you concerned with me not taking care of it properly?

spanko

See quotes below;
"this species does not live in sterile, nutrient-deprived settings... but in the wild in muddy, mucky areas semi-buried in the substrate... sometimes in the shallows of nearshore, other times at the base of reef slopes at depths of 20 meters or more."
"Unlike corals in general and Small Polyp Stonies in particular, Elegance (and other Caryophyllid) Corals require water of less than typical reef system quality. Yes, you read that right, this species is found lying level in/under muddy, shallows of grassy reef flats, with all that go with the setting; low-medium/diffuse light and high organic nutrient concentrations."
"Semi-still waters. They come from settings with actually very little water movement, NOT as many hobbyists place them; in full front of a powerhead’s constant blast. Elegance corals need gentle, non-linear water movement."
"Lighting, full spectrum, low-to medium intensity... provided by VHO or compact fluorescents is fine. These are photosynthetic organisms, but remember, ones that live in turbid, muddy water often shielded by overlying sea grasses (Thalassia). No need for metal halides."
"The need for organic nutrients: IMO, this coral should only be kept in a designated, "species" set-up, in very-well established, fine sand and "mud" substrate, sea grass, high nitrates (tens of ppm and up) are no problem and calcium, strontium... but still no discernible soluble phosphates. With this species you have to take care not to "over"skim, removing bio-useful minerals and trace elements. These essential materials can be replaced through feeding (see below), water changes, and live rock (and possibly sand) use."
"Placement near other stinging-celled life: Don’t. These animals have a wide and deadly stinging ability. In the wild there is a large area around them with no other cnidarians. Keep them this way in captivity."
"I know of many aquarists that periodically feed their Elegance corals, fine to chunky meaty foods... in a well/properly set-up and maintained setting I would abstain from offering purposeful foods. Just rely on photosynthesis... and nutrients that come from other biological activity in the system."
"These animals are being kept in barely to un-tolerable conditions. They don't live in environments like your other corals at all. The places where I've seen them live are more like their wild conditions..."

hlcroghan

yep....i did read all that.....idk though....i was thinking that i was would put it in the sand at the bottom but i don't want it to make a lunch out of my fish....so.....there you go...

hlcroghan

okay.....so I got my first mail purchase in today......litle tiny clown goby (very cute) and some jack rabbit zoos. They are very pretty!! The clown was a little stressed out looking when I first brought him out of the box but I assume that is normal for shipping.....they are both dripping now. I will post pics shortly......

Last night I was looking in my tank and I thought I saw my emerald crab (Harry) dead on the sand!! I was sooooo upset!! He was one of the first things in my tank after all!! Then I saw him scooting around on the rocks looking really really shiny!! He molted!!! I am happy. Definitely means he is eating well......

Anyway, tank has been going well. Both my corals have a few little buds here and there and look sooo healthy. I have to get some super glue gel this payday so I can start permanently attatching them in the tank.
I have had a little nitrates in my tank but I am keeping up with water changes so they haven't been more than 10-20 but I don't want them to get any higher of course..... I think I am overfeeding a bit. Still trying to get the feel of how much food the fish need.

hlcroghan

Okay here are my pics.........my new zooanthids. they are very pretty but i bet they will color up better in the coming months.......still a little light right now.....
my new clown goby wouldn't come out to get a pic taken and when he did poke his head out my LB ran after him like crazy..........i guess i have first tank war.....i will prolly rearrange the aquascaping...
Nemo is in there too......little ham that he is....he wouldn't get out of the way of the camera...lol.
Pic of my xenia which is doing wonderfully....growing like a weed........
a FTS and a little surprise......LFS called me and said they had Sparky.....he is beautiful, fat, outgoing, and .......eating prepared foods!!!! I was so excited. They were right!! he eats like a champ....watched him eat and bought him on the spot!! He is still eating pods in the tank too and I have them all over so I will buy some more periodically.....
So here they are......
Attachment 221542
Attachment 221543
Attachment 221544
Attachment 221545
Attachment 221546

hlcroghan

now here is my next question......and about the mandarin....i know everything everyone says.......he is doing very well. i will add more copepods if i think there is a problem okay??!! ;)
What the heck is this??????? it moves like a snail sort of, is about 1/2 inch long with long antennae. it is pinkish colored.....and i watched it release eggs or something into my tank earlier...it stood on it's head and shot lots of tiny pinkish orange balls into the water column.....it seems to eat leftover stuff and algae.....i don't think it is a flatworm though........and it hasn't harmed anything so far
Attachment 221547
Attachment 221548

spanko

Originally Posted by hlcroghan
http:///forum/post/2990902
now here is my next question......and about the mandarin....i know everything everyone says.......he is doing very well. i will but more copepods if i think there is a problem okay??!! ;)
What the heck is this??????? it moves like a snail sort of, is about 1/2 inch long with long antennae. it is pinkish colored.....and i watched it release eggs or something into my tank earlier...it stood on it's head and shot lots of tiny pinkish orange balls into the water column.....it seems to eat leftover stuff and algae.....i don't think it is a flatworm though........and it hasn't harmed anything so far
Attachment 221547
Attachment 221548

Stomatella varia.
Here is a picture from reef corner.

"Stomatella look like a cross between a snail and slug. Their shell is fairly flat and inconspicuous compared to most snails. They are brownish green in color and seem to stay under about 3/4" in length. Stomatella can move very quickly for a snail.
Good or Bad?:
Stomatella are good additions to the reef tank. They are herbivores and feed upon micro algae in the reef tank."

hlcroghan

Wow, thank you sooo much. I was looking for a while because this thing is pretty large and i was a little concerned........i don't want it taking over my tank if it is bad.
ps........thank you very much for not reading me the right act because of the mandarin purchase....:)

spanko

Don't have to, you are an adult and will live with your own decisions. I have done things contrary to popular thought and will probably continue to do so.

hlcroghan

Oh good. I am glad someone thinks so....lol...
So question then........for corals in my tank (since elegance is a bad choice after some research..;)...sure are pretty though.....I would like to get a colorful larger coral as a showpeice....I like frogspawn, torch, and hammer corals. I know they are pretty similar on requirements and that they can be aggressive but I want to put it up high in the tank toward the middle. Which do you think is better? i was thinking maybe a purple tipped frogspawn......

spanko

I just love the look of a nice torch coral myself. Although I don't have one now I have a frog that is doing very nicely. I think when it gets too big for my system I will go back to fa torch.
My old torch coral that I traded in.

My current frogspawn.

spanko

IME the frog is growing a lot faster than the torch did. My tank is a lot more mature now though so I don't know if that would change the torch I had.

hlcroghan

Originally Posted by spanko
http:///forum/post/2991187
IME the frog is growing a lot faster than the torch did. My tank is a lot more mature now though so I don't know if that would change the torch I had.
Ok...I may try to get a purple tipped frogspawn in a while then......I am going to work on getting some easier ones first like ricordeas, zoos, dendrophyllia, trumpets, green candy canes, silver and pink xenias.....etc.....
I think once those are all doing well then I will get a center peice coral and I should be pretty happy. I just want a lot of color in my tank.....