hlcroghan's 29 gallon thread......

hlcroghan

Oh Joy!! I think I found a pretty little cluster of these bubble algae.....lol....at least something is growing in there. It gives me something to look at ....ha ha

hlcroghan

okay, so I am staring at my LR this morning....because that is all there is to do right now.......lol and I start to see all kinds of stuff moving on it....It was amazing. I saw like 3 or 4 bristle worms and then this anthropod thing started swimming around the tank.......pretty amazing!!! I know it is just rock but I was so blown away that all those little things could survive through all that.......lol
On a bad note I am realizing how often I have to maintain this tank....two days ago it was at 1.024 on SG and now it is a 1.030....grrrr. Evap happens fast.......kinda crazy. Definitely not as easy as my cichlids...ha ha

spanko

Just a suggestion. The Valonia, bubble algae, has a potential to be pretty invasive. I would get it out now. Best way I have found is to use a siphon tube at water change time. Start the siphon, put the end of the tube by the bubble and suck it out. This way even if the bubble pops the spores will be sucked up with the water.
JMO

hlcroghan

Originally Posted by NaNo-NeWb1983
http:///forum/post/2959046
Are you toping off iwth salt or fresh water? What are you using to measure SG?
I would always top off with fresh water.......I have an open section on the back of my tank that is not closed where the filter is. I am sure that is the reason it is so fast to evaporate. I am using a hydrometer. My LFS did not have a refractometer. I will get one later.

hlcroghan

Originally Posted by spanko
http:///forum/post/2959049
Just a suggestion. The Valonia, bubble algae, has a potential to be pretty invasive. I would get it out now. Best way I have found is to use a siphon tube at water change time. Start the siphon, put the end of the tube by the bubble and suck it out. This way even if the bubble pops the spores will be sucked up with the water.
JMO
Gotcha. I will have to try that. I haven't done a water change yet since my tank is so new. But I am getting some sea water from my LFS today so I will be doing one in approx 1 to 2 days. i am picking up a little more LR and that will be all. They have some gorgeous totoka rock on sale and my LFS. Usually it is 15-16 per pound and right now it is 12. It is really lightweight and porous so you can get a lot of it and it stacks really well. I will take some pics of it tonight. The motor oil look is finally gone out of the tank. ha ha

hlcroghan

Reply to you newbie.....thanks!! i can't either. i am sooo excited about it and i start telling people about my live rock and they look at me like i lost my mind or something lol..........

hlcroghan

LOL. I bet you were. My bf wants to get stuff already....sheesh. I have tried to explain to him why you can't but he never listens. I am just praying that he doesn't jump the gun and buy something. I don't think he will though. This is kind of my baby. He just wants to reap the benefits....
his motto is now..."I spend 130.00 on a rock and I want to see something move!" lol
I got some sea water, some ph buffer, and some little pieces of LR to make some smaller areas where pods and stuff can hide. I opted to get the buffer because I am using sand not cc, so I don't want the ph to start to break down the rock.
Next payday will be a powerhead.......what is brand that rotates 180 degrees?? Koralia? I should only need one for a 29 gallon right?

hlcroghan

Better to have two small ones rather than one big one? I can see that. Do they sell them in packs of two or do you have to buy them separately?

hlcroghan

Thanks so much.......good info. Anyway, so you think maybe one pointed up and one down? Is there an adjustment on the them or do they rotate?? I have seen some that rotated.

hlcroghan

thanks! i am lucky to have some really great lfs near my home. I wouldn't be doing so well without all the people here though so pat yourself on the back, lol.
I have some algae growing on the rocks already and I can actually see what I think is some sort of coral growing. It is so tiny that I can't get a pic though. It looks like little flowers with green petals and a red or brown middle. There are maybe 4 little flowers there. Maybe like the size of the end of a pencil. They definitely were not there yesterday though. pretty amazing.....