Holy crap... just ordered a pair of moorish idols!!

crimzy

Originally Posted by socal57che
http:///forum/post/2794087
Methinks that if one were going to keep Idols that introducing them to the tank first would increase their odds of survival.
There, now you have some ammo for the experimentation thread.

Awesome progress. Any more pics? I, for one, would enjoy a pic of them at dinner time.
None tonight... I will try to get some tomorrow evening.

crimzy

Originally Posted by SpiderWoman
http:///forum/post/2797601
That is awesome news! How many feeding stations do you have where you have Romaine placed?
I have two romaine stations. They are still not really eating the frozen food I'm feeding. I'm going to pick up another live mussel tonight for them to snack on. I know I owe some pics... will post them soon.

cedarreef

Have you tried nori? it's basically just dried seaweed they use for sushi n u can get a ton of it 4 cheap at an asian market or something.

crimzy

Yeah I use nori every other day, (alternating with romaine). The problem with nori is that my fish rip it to bits within 5 minutes usually, or my ray steals it immediately. The idols get more access to the romaine.

crimzy

Here are the pics I promised...
One of the idols is definitely doing better than the other. These guys still aren't going after the frozen food but, fortunately, I have found enough food to keep them going until their appetites increase.

leopard_babe

Fish that stink... I have no idea
Its good to hear that they are eating a little. I love the pix!!! I think that fish are like kids, they have times when they are hungry and other times when they are not as hungry. They are probably still getting used to the tank and other tank mate. Congrats!! keep the pix coming!!

kjr_trig

Nice pix...Glad they are hanging in. You have a SVS or a TVS.....Side view shot or top view shot for those not in the know

crimzy

Here are some of the requested shots...
Full tank shot:

Side view shots:

Here's a shot with just the idols:

The one in the front is the one that is not as aggressive of an eater. As you can tell, its colors seem to be fading. Fortunately the liverock has helped to sustain him thus far but I have to get these guys eating better. They love the live mussels, clams and oysters that I've been getting every couple of days. However aside from that and constant grazing, these guys aren't eating any of the frozen or pellet food yet. I've tried smushing pieces into the lr, I've tried a nice variety of foods. I have some different sponges in the tank that they pick at. Any other opinions on different ways to get them eating better?
As always, all opinions are appreciated. Thx.

spanko

Have you tried putting some of the other foods in the mussels and clams. Maybe once they get a taste of it they will appreciate it more.

crimzy

Originally Posted by spanko
http:///forum/post/2802007
Have you tried putting some of the other foods in the mussels and clams. Maybe once they get a taste of it they will appreciate it more.
Interesting idea. How would you put the food in the mussel shell? Rubber band?

spanko

I am thinkin that you are buying live mussels and clams, my idea revolves around putting the pellets or whatever in with the meats before putting them in the tank.

crimzy

Originally Posted by spanko
http:///forum/post/2802020
I am thinkin that you are buying live mussels and clams, my idea revolves around putting the pellets or whatever in with the meats before putting them in the tank.
The current would take the food out of the shell pretty much immediately unless it was attached somehow. Hmmmmm.

spanko

I usually turn the current off when feeding in my 29 gallon. Could you do that in your ocean!!! I am envisioning a fairly messy dinner where pcs. of meat are being pulled and parts are breaking off and they are going back to get them. Could they be fooled enough to think that some pellets or whatever are missed pcs. of meat?/

groupergenius

Hey Crimz, I'm thinkin' the biggest draw to the food for a fish is smell. When you feed these the mussels, are they still on the shell? Perhaps clean the shell out, load it with the desired food, rubberband it shut with a small spacer to leave it open barely. Drop in the tank a little while and see if they sight recognize the food source, then re-associate the new smell with it. If they try to suck the food out of the shell, your Golden.
Unfortunately, it looks like the Idols have some serious food competition there.
If they do take to sponge, let me know. I work next to the sponge docks here in Tarpon Springs. Just wondering if I could rustle up some good live sponge pieces here.