Holy crap... just ordered a pair of moorish idols!!

A

arlene1995

Dang! Those Idols look great! Have you tried feeding them yet - or any of the other occupants?

myerst22

One last thing Trig. Tuna populations are half they were 5-10 years ago and they have nothing to do with what we as hobbiests do to the population of fish. In fact it is a small fraction to the problems all fish species face from human pressure. Not sure how Tuna have any relation to this conversation. Tim

crimzy

Originally Posted by rebelprettyboy
http:///forum/post/2787803
Dang that doesnt look anywhere near 300 lbs of LR lol...
I love ur tank though. Hate seeing tanks like ur cuz it makes hate my tank cuz I cant get any kool fish like u! It looks great and the Idols seem to be doing well for now! Hope they work out for you
Thanks man... I actually love your tank. Specifically I love your zoos. I've almost bought some from you but they are pretty easy to get from local reefers without worrying about shipping.
Originally Posted by Arlene1995

http:///forum/post/2787814
Dang! Those Idols look great! Have you tried feeding them yet - or any of the other occupants?
I dropped some pellets and flake food in before the lights came on. The idols were very interested in the food but I couldn't actually tell if they took a couple bites or not.

A

arlene1995

Well, at least they seemed to take interest... maybe after a few more feedings, they will eat them... Good luck!

redman1221

Nice tank, I hope to have one when I get a bigger place. Btw where is the lion I didn't see it in the pictures. I had a M I too but I lost it to ich awhile back, I got him to eat frozen mysis shrimp and brine shrimp. I will get another one later down the road.

crimzy

Originally Posted by redman1221
http:///forum/post/2787869
Nice tank, I hope to have one when I get a bigger place. Btw where is the lion I didn't see it in the pictures. I had a M I too but I lost it to ich awhile back, I got him to eat frozen mysis shrimp and brine shrimp. I will get another one later down the road.
He's in there... just on the other side, out of view in these pics.

srfisher17

Originally Posted by kjr_trig
http:///forum/post/2787785
I am certainly not picking on you for having the Dragon Tim, I hope to have one someday, and I will take your word that they are not as rare as they are uncommon in the trade....I certainly don't support some beginner with a 75 gallon tank going out and buying 3 Idols because they're pretty, I hope I didn't come off saying that, because that is just a waste. But this is a very different case. This is an advanced hobbyist with a large stable tank. I also know Steve aka SrFisher kept an Idol for 10+ years and has another one now, in the right setting it can be done.
I think word is out enough on the difficulty of this fish, they are not in high demand at all. I know what Crimzy paid for them, if they were in demand, the price would be a lot higher. His 2 M.I.'s combined cost about half what my Sohal Tang did from the same wholesaler.
Oh, great pics Crimzy.
I assume these fish came from Hawaii. Hawaii is very careful in regulating what can be exported, and they sure wouldn't let idols be sold unless there were plenty of them. I've said this sort of thing a million times; but I'm sure these two fish have a better chance of lasting a year in Crimzy's tank than they would on the reef. they certainly have a better chance than the canned tuna on my shelf. Whats the big difference between a tuna and a moorish idol anyway? Idols are a main diet item for all sorts of predators, dolphins herd & devour entire schools them. If they're from Tahiti; they watch their natural resources too. I like my position at the top of the food chain and I love the challenge of keeping difficult fish. I'm not suggesting everyone buy one; just that a hobbiest that has the experience & right tank for one should feel free to give it a shot without being put on a guilt trip. Folks that don't like anyone keeping a difficult fish should do some research on the number of fish, of all species, lost between the diver's net and our tanks. When I started in this hobby, almost all fish we commonly keep today were lucky to last a few weeks. Sorry for all the drivel, I'm sure not responding to any post on this thread (there is surprisingly little criticism); but I'm just sounding off about the type of (IMO self-righteous) response this subject usually generates.
I think I know the dealer Kirk is talking about and know they have eaten in their facility...I'll bet as soon as they eat just once, they'll do just fine.

anonome

Crimzy, what can I say but.............Whow!!! They are truely beautiful, and I know that with your experience you will give it your all to see these guys thrive.
Your tank sure did clean up nicely. Good job.
I will keep an eye on this thread, very interesting to say the least.

srfisher17

Originally Posted by myerst22
http:///forum/post/2787817
One last thing Trig. Tuna populations are half they were 5-10 years ago and they have nothing to do with what we as hobbiests do to the population of fish. In fact it is a small fraction to the problems all fish species face from human pressure. Not sure how Tuna have any relation to this conversation. Tim
I believe this just refers to the giant bluefin tuna; probably due to the huge demand in Japan, plus some other factors that have scientists baffled. I think world stocks of the many other tuna species are holding up well.

crimzy

Originally Posted by Kevin34
http:///forum/post/2787975
I love rays!!!
what kind is that?
It's a yellow stingray.
As an update, I was slightly overconfident, expecting these guys to eat tonight. They appear to be doing so well that I figured they'd make it easy on me. But they did not eat anything tonight (at least nothing that I noticed).
If they do not eat tomorrow, I will get the mussels or clams from the grocery store. Maybe some live brine shrimp would help to spark their appetites?

srfisher17

Originally Posted by crimzy
http:///forum/post/2788335
It's a yellow stingray.
As an update, I was slightly overconfident, expecting these guys to eat tonight. They appear to be doing so well that I figured they'd make it easy on me. But they did not eat anything tonight (at least nothing that I noticed).
If they do not eat tomorrow, I will get the mussels or clams from the grocery store. Maybe some live brine shrimp would help to spark their appetites?
Live brine is always a good idea, so is the clam. IME & from everyone I've talked to, these guys usually take several days to eat for the first time

d808

damn love your tank... I live in Hawaii and I've caught Moorish Idols and have tried to keep them on several occations. I've been able to keep 1 alive for about 6 months. In the beginning he didn't eat anything and I tried everything. He was only in a 55 with no live rock. I finally got him to eat regular fish flakes. Once he started eating the flakes he was as hardy as the rest of my fish and just gobbled them up. Unfortunately I made a big mistake and I lost him. One of my friends came over at night and I decided to turn on the fish tank light. BIG MISTAKE the idol was sleeping and was abruptly woken he went in to a mad craze swimming around like crazy banging into the glass. I quickly turned off the light. The next morning he was dead. Moorish idols here live in the worst water conditions I see them in dirty harbors all the time. They are very beautiful and are one of the fishes that got me interested in the hobby. Good Luck!!!!
ALOHA!

srfisher17

Originally Posted by D808
http:///forum/post/2789251
damn love your tank... I live in Hawaii and I've caught Moorish Idols and have tried to keep them on several occations. I've been able to keep 1 alive for about 6 months. In the beginning he didn't eat anything and I tried everything. He was only in a 55 with no live rock. I finally got him to eat regular fish flakes. Once he started eating the flakes he was as hardy as the rest of my fish and just gobbled them up. Unfortunately I made a big mistake and I lost him. One of my friends came over at night and I decided to turn on the fish tank light. BIG MISTAKE the idol was sleeping and was abruptly woken he went in to a mad craze swimming around like crazy banging into the glass. I quickly turned off the light. The next morning he was dead. Moorish idols here live in the worst water conditions I see them in dirty harbors all the time. They are very beautiful and are one of the fishes that got me interested in the hobby. Good Luck!!!!
ALOHA!
Gee, none of the travel brochures show dirty harbors. Most coastal harbors are constantly flushed clean though. But your point is valid. IMO, once eating, Idols just aren't that difficult. Assuming good diet, lots of space, and peaceful, stable conditions (like no aggressive tankmates, or even your sudden light mistake).

d808

Originally Posted by srfisher17
http:///forum/post/2789271
Gee, none of the travel brochures show dirty harbors. Most coastal harbors are constantly flushed clean though. But your point is valid. IMO, once eating, Idols just aren't that difficult. Assuming good diet, lots of space, and peaceful, stable conditions (like no aggressive tankmates, or even your sudden light mistake).
Haha well.... Hawaii is not all that the vistors bureau makes it out to be...
sudden light mistake ugh never again!!!

t316

Great job Crimzy....

Iv'e been trying to stay silent (as I disagree with some of the posts on here. Some people "think" they are a little more educated than they actually are). But have they eaten yet?