Hornet nest...

renogaw

Ok... i've got some brushy area that i've ben working on clearing the past few years. This year, i chopped down some trees, but didn't completely get rid of all the little saplings laying on theground and they got overgrown a tad with the grass. Well i was cleaning up the litle saplings, and low and behold, a hornet nest the size of a baseball is atached to one... i know you're supposed to wait till night time, but how true is that?
i need to get rid of this nest, and the only way i can think of is *trying* to move the sapling out of the brush (which, btw, stirs the nest and about 15 r more come out) or should i just spray the crap out of it with some bee killer spray where it is and hope i get them all? it's about a foot into the grass, so it's going to be harder to spray where it is.

meowzer

Personally (being allergic) I would not go near it...I belive they say to wait till night cause it would be full...and then either spray it really good...or douse it with gas and burn it FAST...AND RUN LIKE HE LLLLLLLL

U

usirchchris

I would just spray it...though I would wait until night...that way you can't see them, if they are coming after you. It's alot worse if you can see it coming.
Being that small there can't be that many in there, and those sprays work instantly. I would do it in the day so you can adjust your stream and point where necessary. Once you hit it, they should start coming out.

renogaw

Originally Posted by usirchchris
http:///forum/post/3083996
I would just spray it...though I would wait until night...that way you can't see them, if they are coming after you. It's alot worse if you can see it coming.
Being that small there can't be that many in there, and those sprays work instantly. I would do it in the day so you can adjust your stream and point where necessary. Once you hit it, they should start coming out.
wait... yhou said to do it at night AND during the day...

U

usirchchris

Originally Posted by renogaw
http:///forum/post/3084010
wait... yhou said to do it at night AND during the day...
The night comment was a joke...do it during the day so you can see what you are doing and what you are killing. Spray it at night and you may not get all of them, and may not know it.

bionicarm

Go to Home Depot and buy some SpectrasidePro Wasp & Hornet Killer. It's a black and white can. It shoots are very thin and hard stream around 10 - 15 feet effectively. When it hits a wasp, it emulates 20,000 volts of electricty into their system. I've hit nests larger than the one you're describing with this stuff, and the wasps just drop straight to the ground.

U

usirchchris

Originally Posted by bionicarm
http:///forum/post/3084031
When it hits a wasp, it emulates 20,000 volts of electricty into their system.
Hmm, how did they come to this conclusion or analogy? I think there point is that it kills on contact, but why choose 20,000 volts? Certainly there are an innumerable amount of things that could kill a wasp instantly. The equivalent of 17 semi windshields. 20,000 volts..so intense...dunno, seems funny to me
...Perhaps I am just tired.

renogaw

raid usually kills on contact, but 20k volts?? how many amps though? it's the amps that will kill ya hehe

bang guy

Is the nest causing any harm?
I don't like using nerve agents because of the birds eating the dead hornets.
At night it takes a lot more than a small shake to get hornets to leave the nest so you may be able to safely remove the sapling at night.
Here's one from my yard. They don't bother anyone. When I need to get rid of wasps I use ethanol or Isopropal alcohol in a spray bottle. It doesn't drop them as fast as the nerve agent but it evaporates before the birds eat them.

aw2x3

Do like me and my friends used to do, when we were kids.
We found a huge nest, next to my parents garage, one time. We also found these huge, 2" thick wooden curtain rods my mom was throwing away. lol...you can see where this is going already.
We'd take turns, with these big curtain rods, running by and whacking the nest. The trick was to keep running, once you whacked it, so they wouldn't get you.
Well, I started a little too soon, after a buddy hit it, because by the time I got to the nest, running at full speed, they were waiting for me.
I got stung 7 times, in the face...4 of those times so close to my eye, it swelled shut. lol
I say go that route...and take vids!!

reefraff

There is a biologically safe insecticide made from a flower that will kill them without hurting anything else. Cant remember the name of the stuff but it is made from chrysanthemums. It snuff bugs pretty fast

coral keeper

Originally Posted by AW2x3
http:///forum/post/3084134
Do like me and my friends used to do, when we were kids.
We found a huge nest, next to my parents garage, one time. We also found these huge, 2" thick wooden curtain rods my mom was throwing away. lol...you can see where this is going already.
We'd take turns, with these big curtain rods, running by and whacking the nest. The trick was to keep running, once you whacked it, so they wouldn't get you.
Well, I started a little too soon, after a buddy hit it, because by the time I got to the nest, running at full speed, they were waiting for me.
I got stung 7 times, in the face...4 of those times so close to my eye, it swelled shut. lol
I say go that route...and take vids!!
+1!!

aquaknight

Option #1:
Throw something big and heavy at it and run like hellll

Option #2:
Set 'em on FIRE
and run like helllll

Option #3
If #2 fails, proceed to throw a bucket of gas onto the fire....

flip_x

i had a few hives in my cars fender and gas cap area.. all i did was squirt them with some spray and had a fly swatter next to me so i can smack them with it.. all i can say is they ever came back.. they were all in the fender and choked on that stuff haha..

coral keeper

Originally Posted by AquaKnight
http:///forum/post/3084209
Option #1:
Throw something big and heavy at it and run like hellll

Option #2:
Set 'em on FIRE
and run like helllll

Option #3
If #2 fails, proceed to throw a bucket of gas onto the fire....

The last picture is HILARIOUS!

reefforbrains

If it is so small why not just move the entire nest at once?
Put on some gloves. Toss some bridal netting around it and try and wrap it up. Then with gloves on, just pluck it off where it is mounted.
Toss the entire "egg roll of doom" into a paper bag and chuck it some place they will not bother anything. The nests do pop off pretty easy when small.
I know, I know. Boring and no fire or neuroligical agents to play with but should get the job done.

renogaw

2 problems with me trying to grab it:
1) it's a foot into some brush/long grass, and the nest has grown around that grass. every time i try to lift the stick it's attached to, the nest sorta gets tugged by the grass.
2) i'm completely afraid of bees. i'm ok with shooting down a wasp nest with raid if i can see it, but not having a clear shot at this nest is nerve racking...