Horse in apartment?!

texasmetal

Okay, so I work for Animal Control in a North Texas city (Dallas-Fort Worth area) and the guys had to go on a call for a guy having a horse in his apartment.
Turns out, it's a miniature Guide horse in training to help the disabled. The apartments didn't like it very much, but we aren't going to take the horse away from the guy. Check out his website, he's pretty impressive...
www.godscorral.org

aquapro_1

I live in the city of FTW. They have laws about too many animals in an apt, but not a horse? I figured 3-4 cats doesn't come near a pint sized horse as far as space & noise?? Imagine the smell? Is it potty-trained?

texasmetal

If you'd look at the website you'd see that the horse actually is learning how to use the toilet. It lifts the lid, uses it, and puts the lid back down. It is also learning how to play chess.
The horse is a GUIDE HORSE. Much like a seeing-eye or other service dog. However, the horse lives up to 30 years as opposed to a dogs average 12-15, and his training never fades with lack of consistant discipline.
Another point, it is a miniature horse, smaller than a St. Bernard or Great Dane, which by the way, make great apartment dogs contrary to belief, because they are generally calm natured and require little exercise, so a nice spot on the couch and a nice long walk or two per day is about all they require.
It's not very practical to keep a horse in an apartment when you think of it as a farm animal, but neither is keeping a living creature from the overwhelmingly huge ocean in a small glass box.

crazyzeus1

:) I was making a joke...
I also live in DFW & went to the Miniature Horse Show in October. They really ARE small & are very smart...

texasmetal

Law states that he can keep the animal, it's a special service animal. Be it a horse or a monkey or a dolphin. Dolphin's a stretch, but you get the point.. I assume.

aquapro_1

I hate people starving their animals & claiming they are "Supposed" to look that way!! I house abused huskies!!

texasmetal

I'm not offended. I was surprised to hear the nature of the call this morning and was wondering what kind of moron would keep a horse in an apartment. Once I found out the situation, I was actually very impressed with the guy and his involvement in this particular program, and more so impressed with the horse. Also, the horse does have accidents, but the guy also owns an industrial carpet shampoo vac. There was no foul odor, and his apartment was immaculately clean.
It is just irritating when people make snappy comments they would have known better than to make had they researched the subject a tad bit more, like clicking on the link... some people already know it all already though.
I just wanted to share this with everyone. It was "different" from the average call to say the least.

aquapro_1

All dogs. My nieghbor has a german shepard..thin as a rail!! Grey hounds should not be fed 1/4 cup of food 2x a day. That's crimanl in my opinion. Heard it on tv...a breed says that is how much the adults eat. My huskies eat more in one sitting than that & they are fit & slender..No ribs showing!!

texasmetal

We have a Great Dane at the shelter that's skinny as can be right now. He eats like crazy, hope he doesn't have heartworms.

aquapro_1

Do the shelters actually treat them or put them down?
I sent a german shep. during TMS. It walked around the block for a week & caught her. She had a gash in her abdomin. Police said you guys would put her out if Control comes out & gets her. Cop could not put her in the car...Blood & stuff. It was about 8-9pm. Cop had to go & get control guy...Tx Motor speedway had 35W lock down....
Is that true...They put her down???

texasmetal

Yup, injured animals most often get put to sleep on site if the injury is severe. If it's not life threatening though we will try and keep it around long enough to find a home. You can always take an injured stray animal to the vet, but are you going to pay the bills? The vet is only going to put the animal down too if no one is going to pay for the animals treatment. It's a business, and business is making money. Sad. I could go into my philosophy on it, but then I'd be dubbed a "Communist" or something of the sort.
At the particular shelter I work at, there is an "Injured Animal Fund" which actually gets dissolved into a City account that isn't specifically for the shelter, it most likely pays for the city officials meals and vacations. FYI. Hey, don't curse me, I work for the animals, not the City in question. I've been part-time for over 3 years now with hopes that someday they will hire me on full-time as an Animal Control Officer so the animals have someone on their side, instead of the peoples side, because believe it or not, most people could care less about some little kids best friend. It's pretty pathetic, but after working there for 3 years, I'm pretty sure most people would abandon their kids too if they couldn't speak and tell the authorities on them or make them feel guilty.
Honestly, taking an animal to a shelter is not the best thing for it. It would be more likely to find its way home without human intervention. On the other hand, it sucks for an animal to not find its way home and get run over or poisoned or abused by cruel people. I love people who bring me animals and then curse me for working there. (sarcasm) That happens A LOT.
Finding a "No-kill" shelter is almost impossible unless the animal is under 20 pounds, because "No-kill" shelters never have room, specifically because they never euthanize, and "who wants a shelter mutt?" when you can go spend $300 on a dog bred in someones backyard with their neighbors retarded, but cute,...dog... so very few animals get adopted from "No-kill" shelters. Honestly, if you want to teach your children the miracle of birth by getting your dog or cat pregnant, be ready to teach them the tragedy of death by bringing them to the shelter to show them what happens to the ones that don't find homes because there are already more animals than there are homes for.. or it takes too much effort to sit in the local Wal-Mart parking lot with a 50 cent piece of posterboard stating "Free animals".... Food for thought.
While I'm on the subject, Texas state law is that we hold an animal for 72 business hours before it can be put up for adoption or euthanized. That's 3 days.... unless it's injured.