how do people become moderators?

travelerjp98

I've just been wondering... how come some people (ie, beth) are moderators?
how do they get chosen? do they work for saltwatefrish.com or are they volunteers or something like that?

ladyreefseeker

Administrator
Staff member
They are all unpaid volunteers. They do it because they love the hobby and this board is 'home'. They have established a reputation on the board and lead the direction the board takes.

flower

Really??? I thought you had to be invited to become a mod, because of some great knowledge or something.

michaeltx

every ones advice should be taken like a grain of salt though. Here is why things are continually changing in this hobby and sometimes by the time its common knowledge its already outdated.
here is what you should do as a responsible hobbiest collect all the information that you can. search and look up things on this site just so you know you have the correct knowledge.
Please do not take a individual persons statements to be true and correct with out verifying them so that you have the peace of mind your doing the right things. All anyone can do is offer up their experiences and all but its ultimately your tank and your headache if something goes drastically wrong.
I am not saying that mods are better or worse than other members but in general we have made alot of the mistakes and help people find the answers they seek.
I as a mod or even a member would hate for someone to take something out of context ( as you know it can and will always happen online.) and they or the advice causes trouble. I would rather point someone in the right direction and let them make a choice. Instead of saying this is the only option do it or else. There are many many many many many different ways to do things and what has worked for me may not work for you or others.
Have a great one.
Mike

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelTX http:///forum/thread/387070/how-do-people-become-moderators#post_3405788
every ones advice should be taken like a grain of salt though. Here is why things are continually changing in this hobby and sometimes by the time its common knowledge its already outdated.
here is what you should do as a responsible hobbiest collect all the information that you can. search and look up things on this site just so you know you have the correct knowledge.
Please do not take a individual persons statements to be true and correct with out verifying them so that you have the peace of mind your doing the right things. All anyone can do is offer up their experiences and all but its ultimately your tank and your headache if something goes drastically wrong.
I am not saying that mods are better or worse than other members but in general we have made alot of the mistakes and help people find the answers they seek.
I as a mod or even a member would hate for someone to take something out of context ( as you know it can and will always happen online.) and they or the advice causes trouble. I would rather point someone in the right direction and let them make a choice. Instead of saying this is the only option do it or else. There are many many many many many different ways to do things and what has worked for me may not work for you or others.
Have a great one.
Mike
Very well said.

ladyreefseeker

Administrator
Staff member
Michael, Your statement is completely true. That is the best advice I give every new hobbyist. Get several opinions and then generate your own. Just because I do it a certain way definitely does not mean it is the right way. Your thought is so well spoken!

spanko

"how do people become moderators?"
Somewhere in a previous life, in a time long ago, they did something so terrible----so horrifying---that the cosmos doomed them to their current life of baby sitting a bunch of whiny hobbyists.
Just sayin..............................

btldreef

"how do people become moderators?"

Somewhere in a previous life, in a time long ago, they did something so terrible----so horrifying---that the cosmos doomed them to their current life of baby sitting a bunch of whiny hobbyists.

Just sayin..............................

:laughing:
Ahh, I can always count on you to have a silly post that will cheer me up!

meowzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyreefseeker http:///forum/thread/387070/how-do-people-become-moderators#post_3405826
Michael, Your statement is completely true. That is the best advice I give every new hobbyist. Get several opinions and then generate your own. Just because I do it a certain way definitely does not mean it is the right way. Your thought is so well spoken!
YUP....I try to always remember to throw in an "IMO" and what works for one does not always work for another LOL

bang guy

Many of my methods are not what you'd find in a book. When I think one of these nonstandard methods will work for someone's specific situation I try to remember to phrase it "What I would do in that situation" instead of "Do this".

1guydude

I thought it was a right of passage passed down over several millenia from one grand master to another?!?!

LOL
glad to have u pps as mods and as fellow hobbyists!

beth

Administrator
Staff member
No, actually, I pay a monthly fee for the privilege of wearing shark fins.