How do send a piece of coral to someone.

flower

I know how to package my critter to send it to someone. I need to know how do I ship it, who do I call, and how do I go about it?

scott t

I have sent many things over the years to people Flower, but that was all Dry good stuff, Because I used to sell on a certain site that I can not put on here. If I sent it UPS I just called them they picked it up or went to a UPS store, If I sent it USPS I went to the post office and sent it, If I sent it FedEx I called them and they came and picked it up at my house. I would say that if you are going to send something Live your best bet would be FedEx it might cost you a little more but you can get Overnight or next day Air, that would be my suggestion to you. As for packing it I am not sure maybe someone with experience that has shipped them before will be able to chime in and tell you...

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott T http:///forum/thread/381526/how-do-send-a-piece-of-coral-to-someone#post_3323938
I have sent many things over the years to people Flower, but that was all Dry good stuff, Because I used to sell on a certain site that I can not put on here. If I sent it UPS I just called them they picked it up or went to a UPS store, If I sent it USPS I went to the post office and sent it, If I sent it FedEx I called them and they came and picked it up at my house. I would say that if you are going to send something Live your best bet would be FedEx it might cost you a little more but you can get Overnight or next day Air, that would be my suggestion to you. As for packing it I am not sure maybe someone with experience that has shipped them before will be able to chime in and tell you...

I want to go Fed X, but how do I even contact them, where do I find them? I Googled and it says they don't ship live animals or fish..
but I know SWF uses Fed X

scott t

Let me check for you Flower I will go to their website and check to see how you would go about it and then I will send you a PM....

levinjac

get fish bags air and rubber bands and of course saltwater take pur the bag half way full with water from your tank grab the thing you want to send with a plastic container put the critter in the bag close it really tight but leave a hole big enough to put air in while its filling up close it fast and spin it 3 time keep taking the rubber band and twist it up so the rubber band is secure put it in your box with styrofoam around the sides and 3 ice packs tape it up real good and right LIVESTOCK and fragil on the front draw a arrow pointing up of course do all this after you find out what place you want and can get goood luck

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by levinjac http:///forum/thread/381526/how-do-send-a-piece-of-coral-to-someone#post_3323944
get fish bags air and rubber bands and of course saltwater take pur the bag half way full with water from your tank grab the thing you want to send with a plastic container put the critter in the bag close it really tight but leave a hole big enough to put air in while its filling up close it fast and spin it 3 time keep taking the rubber band and twist it up so the rubber band is secure put it in your box with styrofoam around the sides and 3 ice packs tape it up real good and right LIVESTOCK and fragil on the front draw a arrow pointing up of course do all this after you find out what place you want and can get goood luck

You are so sweet...LOL...I needed info and HOW TO on the shipping methods, I know how to pack my critter for the trip..ou are always doing your best to be helpful.
Good friends are hard to come by, and I have found a true treasure on this site.

meowzer

Flower check to see if the post office will do overnight to where you want to send it...that would be the cheapest...fed exp and ups w/o having an acct is really high

tlsohio

+1 Meowzr, If your shipping within a certain distance USPS Express will be cheaper than UPS and Fed Ex. Alot of times UPS and Fed Ex have store fronts for shipping and if not you can find their main location and ship from there. If they are saying that they do not ship animals, I think they are referring to dogs and cats type animals
. Make sure you use a styro box and use packing tape to tape the lid on the box so that if the bags happen to leak, the package doesn't get deemed hazardous. This happened to me, when I bought some corals from a guy and the packaging was poor at best, the package sat on a dock for 5-6 hours before I was able to locate it and 7 hours before I got the corals home and in acclimation. What a nightmare!! All because the package leaked and they were unsure of the contents, so it was deemed hazardous!!

monsinour

Sounds like acrylic is getting a "thank you" from Flower. amiright?
Fed x is more than ups and both will do it. look in the phone book for their locations near you, gotta be a few in illinois or whisky, wherever you are. Call them up and give them the weight of the box and where its going. Insure the package and send it on its way. Both companies will come to your house to pick it up.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monsinour http:///forum/thread/381526/how-do-send-a-piece-of-coral-to-someone#post_3324181
Sounds like acrylic is getting a "thank you" from Flower. amiright?
Fed x is more than ups and both will do it. look in the phone book for their locations near you, gotta be a few in illinois or whisky, wherever you are. Call them up and give them the weight of the box and where its going. Insure the package and send it on its way. Both companies will come to your house to pick it up.

Sparty59 wanted some GSP coral, which I have plenty, it's about the only thing besides the fish that survived the crash when my heater broke. He has a bunch of those tiny brittle stars, but shipping is going to cost too much so the whole thing is scratched. GSP coral is pretty cheap and so are little brittles, so paying allot of shipping is kind of crazy. On Monday I will check an see what UPS ships for, just to see the difference.
Acrylic won't take any payment or thank you for the work he is doing...I tried, paying for shipping is all he would accept. Perhaps someday he may have a need I can help with, or do for someone else to play it forward.

scott t

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower http:///forum/thread/381526/how-do-send-a-piece-of-coral-to-someone#post_3324202
Acrylic won't take any payment or thank you for the work he is doing...I tried, paying for shipping is all he would accept. Perhaps someday he may have a need I can help with, or do for someone else to play it forward.
That is so awesome Flower. There are not to many people in this world left that are willing to help there fellow person. Its good to know that there are still some left..

monsinour

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower http:///forum/thread/381526/how-do-send-a-piece-of-coral-to-someone#post_3324202
Give me his address and next september when I am in hershey again, I will pay him a visit. Kinda hard to turn someone away who is standing at your door. LOL

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monsinour http:///forum/thread/381526/how-do-send-a-piece-of-coral-to-someone#post_3324232
Give me his address and next september when I am in hershey again, I will pay him a visit. Kinda hard to turn someone away who is standing at your door. LOL

I would love to do something to say Thank you for Shawn (Acrylic51). I couldn’t afford the acrylic for a sump, let alone a custom made one. I do know he didn’t have that much acrylic just laying around and had to get more, then he broke the refugium and had to redo it…the time and money he has already put out…I just hope he didn’t over extend himself.
Then there is another problem, this was not a person project. 2Quills (Corey) did the plumbing and created the Fantastic Gizmo that moves surface water and breaks the siphon in a power outage. He created a whole test station to double check everything and posted the video. Al&Burk did all the work in measures and drawings so everything could be made exact and fit under my stand. Meowzer, who did all the work hunting down the perfect skimmer. Everyone else who helped to figure out the ATO container. Then are folks like you who pitched in with advice and comments to help.
So if you can come up with a way to thank them all that I can afford or do, please advise. Out of pocket and shipping is all I can come up with.
I don’t think I will make enough money in this lifetime to really express my gratitude, but it would be so nice to do something. To do something for one and not the other would be an insult, so I need an idea that honors you all..

monsinour

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower http:///forum/thread/381526/how-do-send-a-piece-of-coral-to-someone#post_3324253
I don’t think I will make enough money in this lifetime to really express my gratitude, but it would be so nice to do something. To do something for one and not the other would be an insult, so I need an idea that honors you all..
Well, I go to Hershey every september.
Buffalo is a 3.5 to 4 hour drive from me.
Last time I was in texas, I was setting up the network of an assisted living facility in Arlington. I dont think I will be back in texas anytime soon. However, I have another good friend on a different message board who does live in texas and could possible do something for me.
My suggestion is a wierd one. Zoas are relatively cheap. SWF.com sells them. You could always order some and have them shipped to everyone. If that is not appealing to you, I can meet up with 2 of the 3 major contributors. 2Q, you gotta move closer to me, LOL. I must say, I would make the trip to see Al&B just to get some tim hortons anyway.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monsinour http:///forum/thread/381526/how-do-send-a-piece-of-coral-to-someone#post_3324359
Last time I was in texas, I was setting up the network of an assisted living facility in Arlington. I dont think I will be back in texas anytime soon. However, I have another good friend on a different message board who does live in texas and could possible do something for me.
My suggestion is a wierd one. Zoas are relatively cheap. SWF.com sells them. You could always order some and have them shipped to everyone. If that is not appealing to you, I can meet up with 2 of the 3 major contributors. 2Q, you gotta move closer to me, LOL. I must say, I would make the trip to see Al&B just to get some tim hortons anyway.

#1 rule...you can't buy coral for other peoples tank, you can offer to pay for a coral they like and choose but you may NEVER just purchase a coral for someones tank. That rule includes spouses. I know you and your wife have a family fish tank...but you have to get together and decide what will be added or the tank is doomed.
I like the brownie idea... do you guys like brownies?

acrylic51

That's the spirit I'd like to create here....I seen a crazy commercial here awhile ago, where total strangers on the street just do 1 act of kindness, which in turn led to another and another. We'd all be totally how surprised how enjoyable and rewarding life could be, and all doing it without thinking about it. I might just become natural......

Quote:

Sparty59 wanted some GSP coral, which I have plenty, it's about the only thing besides the fish that survived the crash when my heater broke. He has a bunch of those tiny brittle stars, but shipping is going to cost too much so the whole thing is scratched. GSP coral is pretty cheap and so are little brittles, so paying allot of shipping is kind of crazy. On Monday I will check an see what UPS ships for, just to see the difference.

acrylic51

Next time your in Hershey you let me know!!!!! Give me a little heads up and we can hook up, and get together......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monsinour http:///forum/thread/381526/how-do-send-a-piece-of-coral-to-someone#post_3324359