How do you fund your hobby???

puffer32

What I actually mean, is how do you make a living? Is your job fun, intresting and financially adequate? I will start.
I am a lead in the distribution warehouse at EB games, we just got sold to Game world. My job is in the reclaimations department. I make sure all used and returned games are repaired and major scratches are removed so the games work, we then send them to our stores and are sold as preowned. I like my job now, before becoming a lead i trained employees to test games, controllers, memory cards etc. But sitting around playing video games gets very boring when you HAVE to do it
Any one else?

J

jdragunas

My hubby used to work at game crazy, and game stop... he tried to get a job at EB Games, but they weren't hiring at the time...
Well i work for my father... ugh... which is interesting. We own a

[hr]
company together, and i'll tell ya, it never gets old, but it gets slow... as a matter-of-fact, that's why i'm on here right now... lol. It keeps my 55 gallon running, with some spare to get some extra stuff, like new lights soon, some corals soon, and a new 35 hex for seahorses...
Jenn

bang guy

I design database structures for information warehouses and data marts for large financial corporations.
It's extremely stimulating in the intellectual arena but very boring in the fun category.

reefnut

Heavy Industrial Construction Cost Estimator...
for a mid-size construction company... for those into titles "Assistant Director of Estimating" which really mean "estimator, department leader & grunt to the boss"
It pays the bills though

matty0h_52

im a "In the Feild Technician" for IBM. Im working a IBM contract For Intuit- Basically im on clean up duty. Intuits old help Desk didnt do anything and Hierd IBM to take over. The job did a good job of paying for my 70g but now that i up graded to a 200g its takeing a little longer to buy the things i need to start up.

socal57che

Paint and fixture installer, computer hardware setup for new locations from Kansas City west. I travel occasionally and was recently sent to Hawaii. Some people will do anything for a buck!! I don't work very often (couple times a month) and get paid well, but it is only a supplement to my wife's job....she's the bread winner. I get to cook, do laundry, clean house, you know, the really really fun stuff.

jacksdad

CNC Department leader for a mid sized metal stamping die shop. It can be interesting work, but most of the time it is the same old stuff. Lots and lots of hours. The best thing about it is using the machines to make my mods!!!

snailheave

obivously i read the title wrong.
:help:
i work as a ria.
since i am poor, i researched hard to find a way to keep the maintainence level to the minimum (i.e. to electricity, water, etc.) i think so far i've been succeeding. ignoring the start-up cost, fish food, i am running two tanks at probably less than $15/mo :cheer:

reeferman1

I'm a Commercial Artist-Creative Director. I've worked on animation and advertising for various movies such as: The Lion King, Beauty and the Beast, Power Rangers, Batman, Spiderman, X-men, etc. Now I'm doing alot of design work for Harley Davidson and West Coast Choppers. It has alot of pressure but it's very cool to get paid to draw and I love what I do.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Originally Posted by puffer32
. But sitting around playing video games gets very boring when you HAVE to do it
Any one else?
My son would be even HEAVEN in your job. How do you get a job like that?
I'm a Government Analyst and do contract monitoring for the State of Fla.

reeferman1

Years ago, my first job after graduating from the Art Institute of Chicago I did freelance work for a guy who largest client was affiliated with a toy company whos clients included Disney, Mattel and DC Comics. After a few years the company took us on full time. I was very lucky.

crashedin0

i am a high school student on a job exp. program so i take english and goverment then go to work (if they catch me going home to sleep i get kicked out and fail there year)
as DA!DA!DA! learning to weld but for now i am just doing the stuff they dont want the higher paid people to do lik breaking metal, cuting, die casting
why hav a guy geting paid 8.50/hr do work you can have someone getting paid 7.00/hr do
:mad:

but it ok because i already hav mig welding in steel and aluminum under my belt now to learn tig welding followed by stick welding then to give a two week notice and move out of my mom and pops crib getting paid bout 19/hr at 18 years old

speg

I am whats called a 'Lawn Spray Tech'... which in a nutshell is 'A guy who works in a lawn who is not mexican'.
It doesnt pay much... and I have a lot of bills to try to pay with my little paychecks.. but I try to spend correctly and I wait until I find sales... and tax season always helps me.
Also since i've started my reef tank a lot of my frags have helped me pay for some small items and frags to keep my hobby going.
Also since we're talking about how we have funded this hobby.. I wanna thank ALL OF YOU. You've saved me a lot of money by what i've learned in here such a short amount of time. I made a lot less mistakes than I would have if I didnt have SWF.com. Also I saved buckets of $$ not having to buy a ton of books.. I do own two books.. but most of what I know came from here. You all have helped me in a >>>BIG<<< way.
Thanks
Jesse

crashedin0

i bet you do i was thinking about tring to sell cars but people look at you as a shark tring to get their money beside if i can weld ill might build my own stand !! :thinking:
:happyfish

diane4

I am a project manager for Siemens Business Services, the US division of the German based company. I work full time on the MetLife account managing their desktops/laptops/monitor asset inventory. I used to do site support work, but now I manage a small team of 3 people and the billable inventory for Siemens.
Part time at night, I am a PowerSeller on the big auction site selling pet books to the world.