How Do you know if an Anenome is Dead??

1968oldsma

We just purchased our first anenome it was doing great in the tank at the LFS we go to, standing tall and such but we got it home now (about 45min) later and it isn't standing tall in the bag, but it's tentacles and such are all out and looking well. I'm not to sure the fish store closed and i can't get ahold of them till tmw i'm just wondering if my new anenome has kicked the bucket already you know. It was retracting in the bag when we would look at it but now it isn't i mean we havent tried like poking it or anything but you know i'm just a little concerned thats all.
Edit: it's a long tentecle anenome.

troyw806

If it starts shrinking and "balling" up. Its probably on it's way out. As far as knowing for sure if it's dead, touch it then smell your hand. If it's dead you'll know by the smell. There's nothing like it!!

troyw806

One more thing that makes it hard to tell is that they shrink and look real puny when they are pooping. Just look at their mouths if you see something brown coming out they might just be going to the crapper.

ebsochin

Usually when the mouths turn inside out they are done. Give it some time to adjust to your tank. If you touch it and it still sticks to your finger, you should be alright. Give it some time. HTH.

1968oldsma

THis guy is alive and cranking now as soon as it went in the tank it's flowing real nice, question should it be straight on the sand or should it be on the live rock?

ebsochin

Most anenomes will move around to the "best" location for them. Just place it in the tank and it will move on it's own.
Glad to hear it is doing well.

golfish

Originally Posted by 1968OldsMa
How Do you know if an Anenome is Dead??

Well, seeing how 99% of them die in our tanks, I'd say you know its dead as soon as you buy it..
When will people stop falling for the Anemone Clownfish thing

1968oldsma

Originally Posted by golfish
Well, seeing how 99% of them die in our tanks, I'd say you know its dead as soon as you buy it..
When will people stop falling for the Anemone Clownfish thing

What the hell is that supposed to mean i didn't buy this anenome to host a clownfish i have i could care less i want to start branching out into inverts. I was just slightly confused for shelling out good money and then have it pass on me you know? Luckly i just jumped the gun in posting and it's doing well.

golfish

Originally Posted by 1968OldsMa
What the hell is that supposed to mean i didn't buy this anenome to host a clownfish i have i could care less i want to start branching out into inverts. I was just slightly confused for shelling out good money and then have it pass on me you know? Luckly i just jumped the gun in posting and it's doing well.

If you took the time for some research then you should know that most Anemones we buy from the LFS will die in a few months...They are NOT the best choice for reef tanks even if you do manage to keep em alive...Unlike other corals they can move around, this allows them to sting and get stung.
Anemones are really for the experts and should be kept in tanks setup to keep em. If you must buy em get tank rasied models, they work a lot better.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Originally Posted by golfish
Anemones are really for the experts and should be kept in tanks setup to keep em. If you must buy em get tank rasied models, they work a lot better.

I'll second that. These really are one of those animals that are hard to keep and have a poor survival rate in the hobby. Basically, if you have to ask questions about anemones, then it best you don't own one.....

golfish

Originally Posted by Beth
I'll second that. These really are one of those animals that are hard to keep and have a poor survival rate in the hobby. Basically, if you have to ask questions about anemones, then it best you don't own one.....

Beth, You've been hanging around Bang way too much.

1968oldsma

The fact of the matter is i bought the anenome and now i want to make sure that i take care of in the best way possible. Im just looking for information to accomplish this, i dont need people to give me negative responses, i just need the information i asked for. Thanks. I apologize to some extent to people who get offended i just came looking for advice, not be told how ignorant or uninformed i am.

jacknjill

i have a rose bubble tip anenome that came with my tank ( i bought a complete setup) i feed it some mysid shrimp 2-3 times a week. i have mine under 1 175 watt metal halid and 2 110 watt VHO's. mine is in moderate to high flow. i have a pair of tomatoe clowns that live in it

mombostic

Well, we aren't all fortunate enough to be gifted with that "expert" status, are we? And so we must continue to plow along, killing the innocent as we go.......
It's a hard lesson to learn that you cannot trust what the people at the pet store tell you. I learned it myself the hard way. However many people assume that because someone is working with these creatures on a daily basis, surely they know what they are talking about. Even though it might be silly or obvious to some of the enlightened, it is a common mistake, one that I made myself about a year ago. Live and learn, I guess.
I always find it very discouraging when people are talked down to on this message board. It is possible to offer opinions and education without insulting people's intelligence. I think this is a wonderful resource and I have learned volumes just from reading other posts. I particularly trust the opinions of people who have been in the hobby for a long time and have dealt with certain issues repeatedly, as in Beth and disease management, and I always like to hear what Thomas has to say about anemones.
Can't we all just get along?

jacknjill

Originally Posted by Mombostic
Well, we aren't all fortunate enough to be gifted with that "expert" status, are we? And so we must continue to plow along, killing the innocent as we go.......
was this directed towards me?

mombostic

Of course not.
I'm guilty of smart-assery, I'm afraid, but not directed towards you. I'm always curious at what point we become "experts." I thought the rest of my post would clarify my smart-aleck comment. Sorry.

mombostic

I hate to see it when a person asks a question and they get a judgemental answer that provides no information whatsoever. Maybe this isn't the right place for me to get on my soap box, but it is a hot button issue for me on this forum.
Comments like "when will people stop falling for the anemone clownfish thing" are just a bit much for me. Comments that begin with "if you would take the time to research" or the like immediately set a hostile tone and in my opinion are judgemental. Everyone is entitled an opinion---that's what this forum is--but I don't think anyone is entitled to belittle or talk down to anyone else.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Yes, everyone is right.....no one should be talked down too....and since I am not one of those experts who is qualified to take care of anemones, I'm not going to give any advise either. However, anemones have tentacles not antenna. Just fyi for future discussion on this topic.

1968oldsma

Originally Posted by Beth
Yes, everyone is right.....no one should be talked down too....and since I am not one of those experts who is qualified to take care of anemones, I'm not going to give any advise either. However, anemones have tentacles not antenna. Just fyi for future discussion on this topic.

haha oh man here i go getting mad when i am being treated like an idiot, and then i go and say something like an idiot
(i just got smacked in the head by my fiancee) Oh well you live an learn, i just got a little angry about being talked down to i guess i didn't need to get in that big of a huf although that is a big issue on this board is people with that "greater than tho" attitude is annoying. It's half the reason why i dont post much on here cause i'm affraid off getting talked down to or just made to look even worse than i already sound.
You know i just edited my post in the first part i said it wrong but then in the end i got it right...sheesh i wasn't even drinking then..lol