How Do you know if an Anenome is Dead??

beth

Administrator
Staff member
You have to understand that the really advanced hobbysts have big egos. You have to overlook that just so that they might be willing to teach you a thing or two. Believe me, taking a little crap from them is worth the bit of advise/knowledge they will give you. LOL <wink at Mark>
Anyway, the anemone is likely stressed which accounts for it not looking too healthy. Hopefully you acclimated it well, and slowly [like the acclimation procedure provided by SWF.com]. Has it attached? If so, that would be a good sign. Don't start handling it just to see if it is dead or not. What kind of lighting do you have?

sw65galma

Originally Posted by 1968OldsMa
haha oh man here i go getting mad when i am being treated like an idiot, and then i go and say something like an idiot
(i just got smacked in the head by my fiancee) Oh well you live an learn, i just got a little angry about being talked down to i guess i didn't need to get in that big of a huf although that is a big issue on this board is people with that "greater than tho" attitude is annoying. It's half the reason why i dont post much on here cause i'm affraid off getting talked down to or just made to look even worse than i already sound.
You know i just edited my post in the first part i said it wrong but then in the end i got it right...sheesh i wasn't even drinking then..lol
Ya and you didn't even get our permission to get one!!! :mad: :mad:
lol j/k

gafish

haha oh man here i go getting mad when i am being treated like an idiot, and then i go and say something like an idiot
(i just got smacked in the head by my fiancee) Oh well you live an learn, i just got a little angry about being talked down to i guess i didn't need to get in that big of a huf although that is a big issue on this board is people with that "greater than tho" attitude is annoying. It's half the reason why i dont post much on here cause i'm affraid off getting talked down to or just made to look even worse than i already sound.
You know i just edited my post in the first part i said it wrong but then in the end i got it right...sheesh i wasn't even drinking then..lol

I've had my Curly Cue has done great and I'm far from a "expert" mine has been in there over a year....so good luck to you...they can say what they want.

the reef

annomes will shrink and disingrate when they die.
need to have exelent water conditions, very intense lighting, and a good water flow plus a changing wave curent.
as far as the watter conditions go need to be on top of it all the time and know what to do when this or that needs atention they are more sensitive in smaller changes so need to keep at a exelent water conditions at all time what this means is that you need to test stuff more often and keep the balance from ever swinging to much for the delicate annames also some corals are the same way
so keeping one requires
exelent watter quality 24/7
exelent lighting
and exelent watter flow with changing wave curents
they need exelent water quality because they can die off with the water changing to frequintly
they need exelent lighting because they get most of their food and energy sorce from the sun they use potosynthisis to grow small living bacteria in their tisue.
and exelent watter flow and changing curents to take away debrese away from their tisue and keeping a freash tissue will help with the potosynthisis as well. also debrease and wast not blown off will suficate them.

diane4

1968OldsMa - chin up. I am new to the hobby also, just 3 small months. I have learned volumes from the forum and everyone is really nice. And, if someone does seem insulting, usually they don't mean to - they just vent because they have been at it a long time and certain things frustrate them to hear.
One thing I learned for sure in the saltwater world, is that there are lots and lots of opinions. And not everyone agrees to their opinion. I have found more diversity of opinions on saltwater forums than I have on the Oscar forum I belong to.
As a newbie, I haven't expereinced any high and mighty attitudes at all here, but I sure have on my Oscar forum.
I think newbies need to be a little more understanding of the senior pros that have been at it a long time and have vast knowledge and experience. They might not always use the best choice of words, but the intentions are well meant. They are passionate about their hobby. They mean well. And once in a while I have found on my Oscar forum, I did run into someone that came across to me as very arrogant and a pure know it all flaunting ego, I know the feeling it can come accross as unfriendly or insulting.
However, to the pros out there, I know most have good intentions and mean well, but try to be a little more patient with us newbies - everyone has to crawl before they can walk. And the steps are not always easy, remember you were there once yourself.
There is nothing better than a friend on a forum that has great knowledge and you tend to agree with their analysis and logic most of the time and they are friendly and compasionate about their answers. I have found many people on this site like that. Particulary BETH!!! :cheer:
If any of you have Oscars, then a great person is Corrie on the oscarspot.com site. I know of some arrogant names on that site, but I will leave them nameless.
1968OldsMa - welcome to this forum, it's an awesome place and each day I find I am spending more and more time on it. I check new posts every day and have begun to respond to more of them.
A suggestion I can offer you that can help is before you post a thread, look to see in a search if a similar thread exists out there. And then, add a post to that. It keeps the redundancy of post topics down.
Good luck. I too, am struggling with the health of one of my anemones. I posted a thread tonight asking people how long they have their BTA in captivity. It sounds like they don't live very long in aquariums. That is sad, because they are so cool.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Very good post, Diane, thank you. It is interesting how so many chime in when there is a tidbit here to complain about, but so little recognition to what you have adeptly pointed out. No one here would ever learn one single thing if it were not for those more exp than us, and that does not just apply to newbies. All of us are still learning. The learning never stops.
Anyway, I don't want to hijack the topic.

golfish

Originally Posted by diane4
However, to the pros out there, I know most have good intentions and mean well, but try to be a little more patient with us newbies - everyone has to crawl before they can walk. And the steps are not always easy, remember you were there once yourself.

Diane,
Nice post, its hard to be patient with people who have all the knowlegde in the world on the screen in front of them and don't use it...If people would just take the time to do some research before they buy maybe we wouldn't have to kill so many critters.
When I started there was no internet, only bad books and bad advice from the guy at the LFS..I've killed my share, your share and Beths share of critters.
I've always been the kind of person that gets right to the point. I don't beat around the bush when it comes to posting my advice. It might sound harsh, maybe like I'm full of myself but that's the way I write.

golfish

Originally Posted by Beth
You have to understand that the really advanced hobbysts have big egos. You have to overlook that just so that they might be willing to teach you a thing or two. Believe me, taking a little crap from them is worth the bit of advise/knowledge they will give you. LOL <wink at Mark>

Beth, Its not an ego thing its just the way I write..I get right to the point and some people don't like that.

See, my wife and kids just ignore it

speg

Well.. I didnt wanna post anything.. but im forced.. because its who I am =c(
This person did not ask your opinions on if they should have a anemone.. but asked your opinion on if it was alive or dying or whatever. If you feel this person shouldnt have one.. then thats fine.. but since they already do have one give them some helpful advice that will try to insure the survival of the anemone as long as possible. They are asking for help - not complaints/negative remarks.

1968oldsma

Thank you Speg, Golfish it's ok i relize i made a very amature mistake it's my own fault (fiancee's actually) but i'll take the credit for it to be honest i do wish she hadent gotten the thing although it is doing very well now flourishing in the tank now Beth you asked earlier my lighting i have 2 150wMH's and 2 VHO Actnics got them last week
My fish and coral desicions are usually not based on whim's but this one turned out to be one never let someone go to a fish store with there mother you never know how much lighter your bank account will be or what they will come home with lol. If this thing passes we are going to be staying away from anemones and sticking with the corals...to be honest i like those better anyways. I love mushrooms, and button pylops (no there not in with the anenome those are in my 20gal nano so i dont want to hear anything about that lol). But all is well this thread does not need to dredge on anymore.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Its been a good thread....otherwise, I'd have to close it. Lessons learned, and you have been a sport about it. Your lighting is adequate. Do some reseach for food and environmental needs and the little guy may just make it. Thanks for your post!

golfish

Speg,
Like I said, I get right to the point, if people don't like it then that's just too bad.
68 Olds,
You have to kind of step back and look at things. My first post wasn't really directed at you but more in frustration at this whole thing. The Anemone/clown fish package deal is the first thing most of us buy. Then one or both would die and you go back to your LFS and he unloads more equipment and additives on you and it dies again then he unloads more equipment...he know's the anemone is going to die sooner or later. That's an old story from way back. Thing should be different now because we have all this info on the screen in front of us....I wish that were true but its not, we still buy and then ask.
I'm far from an expert, I doubt anybody here or on any other forum would call them selfs an expert. I've been playing golf for 40 years, not a pro.. fishing for 42 years, not a pro...saltwater tanks for almost 22 years and far from an expert. I do know that anemone and corals are not a good mix in a reef tank..There are a few exceptions and lucky people. I know a few guys who have Rose anemones in their sps tank (I wouldn't ) They are all tank raised. When I had a mature tank there were some sps corals in there that were worth a lot of money. Letting a anemone loose in the tank just didn't seem like a good idea.
FWIW, the first invertcoral I ever bought was a long tentecle anenome. I think it lasted three days. That was about 21 years ago and it was my first and last anemone. I've done kilt more critters since then.

diane4

Good post everyone and it sounds like everyone now understands each other and we can drop the discussion of the tone of posts, I think we all bet that discussion to death.
It is probably on the forum somewhere, but I haven't seen it yet. Is there a post that suggests a list of reef inhabitants that puts them in order from good beginner animals through the hardest.
I think newbies are excited about the animals that they have potential to keep, and perhaps the newness and exitement of the hobby overtakes you.
I am not going to buy anemones any more, because it is my personal experience that they don't do well in closed system aquariums, at least in mine they don't.
I am not particulary fond of the the hard corals because I don't see movement. I like soft corals and love the look of anemones, but I am not knowledgeable as to what are good animals to start with. I've been keeping my green carpet mushroom alive and well and my pipe organ seems ok, but beyond that, i don't know whats a good beginner soft coral that is among the most hardy and forgiving of newbie's.
I really dig how nicely everyone came together on this thread with a sense of explaining oneself and forgiveness. Kind of family like.
I love this forum. The people out here are great. Cheers to everyone on this thread. May you all have continued success, happiness and joy from our shared saltwater hobby that we all love and have moments of frustration with, because it sure has it's frustrations.
God speed to all.

1968oldsma

i'm going to upgrade the lighting again the next few months maybe in first of the year i'm going to Vegas in october so most of my money is being saved in that direction. I'm not going to starve this anemone and kill if or anything like that i was up till late lastnight doing research and i was going to go to Branes and noble and see what i can dig up book wise on the topic, you should see my collection of books, when it comes to dogs, Freshwater fish, marine fish, and corals. I have something like 38 different books so i have a little library going. I relize people have there seperate opinions i usually do not jump down on someone but i was a little unhappy to begin with about this thing, i mean she was supposed to get some fish food and comes back with $280 worth of live rock, and an Anemone so i'm sure you can see where my negativeness might stem from you know hopefully this thing will do well. Thanks for everyones help on the topic. I would put a picture but my camera isn't the best nor is it the right size for these boards so maybe down the road if it's still alive i'll get some pics up.

bang guy

i'm going to upgrade the lighting again the next few months
Is there any particular reason why you want to upgrade your lighting? It seems fine to me for most corals.
Golfish's first post was out of pure frustration and I know exactly where he's coming from. After reading the "My Anemone is dying" once a week or so for years it can become a hot point. My only advice would be to let people vent and don't take it personally and they'll probably give you the info you're looking for.
It sounds like the Anemone is perking up, is that right?
Bang

golfish

Originally Posted by Bang Guy
Golfish's first post was out of pure frustration and I know exactly where he's coming from. After reading the "My Anemone is dying" once a week or so for years it can become a hot point.

My "Join Date" of March 2004 isn't correct...I don't know if Beth or Bang can confirm it but I'm thinking its somewhere around 10/99. My point is that Bang and Beth both know my posting habits very well, Bang is correct, like most of the time...I do try very hard to stay away from threads that ask about Anemone's but its hard seeing these types of post day after day.
BTW, I agree that your lighting is fine.

ophiura

One of the things I like to really emphasize in many of these sorts of posts is - this person is here, asking for information about anemones (or whatever) and open to hearing advice. Whether they asked before purchase or after, well, we can't control that. But we can give people a pat on the back for just coming and asking...because that sets them apart from the majority of hobbyists who only listen to the LFS, or the hobbyist that really don't give a darn if its hard to keep they want one anyway so . We want to encourage responsible practices and to do that we need to be postive as often as possible (no one is perfect). The worst thing is to come down on someone so that they turn away from the boards, IMO, going back to the real nice LFS guy.
Maybe this anemone will die in a few months, and another won't
be purchased because of the advice given...whereas that guy going to the LFS for everything may just go buy another, and another, and another with no concept of feeding or lighting, etc. So let's be positive about people who take the time to ask and learn.
Even when it is frustrating - and believe me it can be super frustrating, it helps just to sit back and say "hey, this person wants some help and advice" I may be thinking "if only they asked before doing this" but maybe you can make the best of the situation they're in.

1968oldsma

I thought this thread had died
Oh well if you want to do that i have had many different names since 2001, i started Lurking here in 2000 it's all good no harm done i'm not holding any grudges i was just a little edgy, no big deal, my lighting is ok i just want to change my Actnics, make them look a little better i only have one i would like one in the back and one in the front, make it look a little nicer i guess i was going to change the MH they cost me a pretty penny to get those. I fed it this morning and it ate like a champ, i was at the fish store this morning getting some fish food and saw they had some Green Ricdoria pylops (i didn't buy) what are some opinions on those, they had orange, and blue, i liked the orange buy they wanted like 36 bucks for one pylop i was like er..i dunno. the green was 20 for 3, i thought i would get some opinions first. i want to branch out a little. I'll search as well but while this thread is still open i thought i would post lol.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Rics would certainly do well in your tank and they are hardy and very forgiving, unlike the anemone.
Mark, this site started 9/99 which would make you one of the first members here, even before me? I started 1/2000.