How I drill my tanks...

shiby1510

Well I am going to be transfering my tank to a new stand... so it will be water free... just some sand... but thats still a problem with running a hose of water on it.. thats why I was asking.. any other suggestions??

mpls man

sounds a great idea, but i have a Oceanic 110 gal tank that i paid 400.00 for and i wouldn't want to crack it, i know you said the glass was 3/4 thich on your 200 gal, was that hard to do??

aw2eod

Originally Posted by MPLS MAN
sounds a great idea, but i have a Oceanic 110 gal tank that i paid 400.00 for and i wouldn't want to crack it, i know you said the glass was 3/4 thich on your 200 gal, was that hard to do??

It's me...just had to switch screen names.
Honestly, the 200gal. was the easiest to do. Here's my secret:
Be at home, one night, really really bored. Get the bright idea that you're gonna go pick up a 12 pack of MGD bottles and drink that.
Casually walk through your dining room and glance at the tank that you've wanted to drill for a long time.
*lightbulb flickers on above head*
"I'm gonna drill that *$^#&* tank!
That's basically how I did it. The next day, I couldnt believe that I'd done it, but low and behold...it was done. Since then, I cant count how many tanks I've drilled but using my method, I've never had a tank crack on me.

jakebtc

shiby if your tank isn't too large try doing it in either a tub with a shower or a shower
might work really well if you have, or get one of them cheap shower heads that have a detachable hose/hand held shower head
just an idea
unless you take it outside

aw2eod

When I drilled my 200, I didnt have it outside...I turned it over, on it's side, in the dining room floor...with new, $3000 hardwood floors just laid down.
Alot of bath towels and pitchers of water, is what I used.
As I drilled, I slowly poured water from the pitcher.

sleasia

I know this is an old thread...if your out there aw2...I'm going to try this on my new practically free 150...there are no stickers saying its tempered or not so I will assume the bottom is and I must drill holes in the sides only. there is one sticker that says built in 1997 that's the only clue. So instead of spending the $50 -$100 on the diamond drill bits, I will drill a pilot hole and cut out some wheel spokes and then connect the dots cutting the hole out. I assume you give light pressure...I'm doing it in the garage so can run water right on the drill bit as I'm working. Is this all I need to know???? just go slow and careful?

sleasia

got me? I don't know. one thread, maybe this one said any tanks over 50 gallons probably have tempered glass on the bottom of the tank, someone else somewher said to look for a sticker (this tank has not sticker revealing anything)...then someone else said tanks built after or before a certain date?...I don't know if there is any way to figure it out. Anyone out there know?

sleasia

AW2 this is an old thread...if you are still out there thanks so much for the glass drilling lesson. I drilled my tank this weekend three holes with a roto zip tile bit, no cracks...worked well...pics are on the "aquarium drilling" thread.

aw2x3

Sorry...I never saw this thread was brought back up.
Glad the drilling worked out for you.
I'm drilling more holes in my 200gal. and when that's set back up, I'll be drilling my 90gal. and turning it into a 3 sided viewable.

martinc909

Originally Posted by javatech1
Look at it through crossed polarizers - tempered glass usually shows a lot of strain bifringence. Get some polaroid material (cheap plastic clip-on shades will work) and view through the glass with one sheet on each side rotated 90 degrees to each other. For instance, clip on one pair to your glasses, hold the other polarizer in front of your light source and rotate it until you get maximum extinction. Now insert the glass in question between the polaroids. Tempered glass will exhibit distinct patterns of dark and light bands or other shapes. You might even get groovy colors. If you can see through the glass edge-on, then it will show a dramatic pattern of colored bands parallel to the faces. If you see no patterns, and light is evenly extinguished as you look through it, then it is not tempered and is pretty well annealed.
Finally, you can examine the glass closely for any brand name etched into it. Examine the edge for any sign of fire polishing. Examine the surface for little dimples where tongs may have indented the glass. Any of these indicate tempering, and you should not try to cut or grind this glass, or you will have a terrible mess.