How much have you spent on your reef?

lmarc78

just on my 65 gln about 2000. and on my 125 (no corals or fish yet) just about 400 on sand,pumps lighting,live rock and cruched coral.

myzislow

Originally Posted by teen
im guessing a little over $3k for my 30 gallon.
ditto, added up mine the other day. Just over 3k for me-with a TON of great deals on my rarer stuff

mscarpena

Between my 75 and my 46(high end acans, micros, paly's) I probably have about 10-12K. Thats including upgrades to equipment. I got most of it through making money back off of my tanks through raising fish and corals though so it was a good investment. I am almost done with my tanks and I have no idea what I will do when I am done. I only have about 5 corals left to buy. Very sad. I love buying corals and watching them grow grow grow.

zoa_kid

i spent about $1000 on my 55 Gallon with cheap and DIY equipment cutting all the corners. Then.....
A VER very nice and generous couple sold me their 120 gallon RR AGA tank/stand/canopy (less than 1 year old) with the following equipment for $300 bucks!!!

1. current outer orbit 2X130 watts 48" pc lighting
2. Euro-reef RS-135 skimmer
3. the quiet one 6000 return pump
4. a #3 koralia and a #1 koralia power head
5. al his test kits
6. digital heaters
7. 120# of live sand
What a deal they gave me huh? Thank you Melissa!!

reefstar22

Uh I wish this wasn't true... somewhere around $15k'ish.
-If I included my monthly electric bill of $75 *Thats just my fishtank* - I'd be in the mid 20's.
Shoot me.

Thank God I love this hobby...and dare I say want to go even larger? :) hahahaha

To bad my wife will kill me if I spend another dime....

grumpygils

Originally Posted by T316
WOW....I don't feel so bad now. But I am into 5 figures.
Grumpy...would love to see your setups sometime.
Here are a few older pics. Only been in it 2 years though.
Mc

big

My second post to this thread. BTW nice tank stuff just before this post.
Ungodly Electric bills, corals, lights ,sumps fuges, fish, bulbs, test kits always needing replaced, partial changes, scraping coralline ever other day. Need I go on?......... Ohhh I forgot, that 600 dollar generator too incase the power goes out................

Sitting back and looking at my tank at the end of a long day........
PRICELESS!!!!!!!!!!

janastasio

Wow, nice tanks grumpygils. Thats why the hobby is addicting. It has to get bigger and better! I've spent about $5000 in 2 years, maybe more, not including electricity bill. MY husband says my SW tank was the start of our money woes! He isnt thinking about the pool table, kegarater, and other endless games in the basement that were added around the same time!!! I play the coral/fish for me, lighted beer sign for you, game!!!!!
And then when he's not looking buy something else anyway!! He'll be looking in the tank and say is that a new coral, and I'll say nooooo, that been there!!!!!

bullitr

at least 15k so far and i need another 5 k for more sps and need one more metal halide,and maybe new starfire tank with close loop system with at least 15 k of flow.and i am getting really really really really wise how much i spend but its almost as expensive as a kid .and i already have 3

C

calvertbill

Originally Posted by grumpygils
Calvert, what are you building?
Mc
Oh! and I suppose you could count the $9,300 I spent on a back-up generator to protect the tanks from power failures. No, you can only count half of that...half the cost of the generator should be assigned to the horses because the well pumps are also on that circuit (they can skip a meal, but not do w/o water!).

emm0909

I built a car one time. New motor, all new parts, full rebuild. I thought I spent a lot on that. I'm getting closer and closer to matching that bill and what I have to show for it all lies within a glass box.
I'm buying TEK lights today so add another $500 onto that.

ameno

on my old 80 gal. I lost count long time ago, but the new 125 I have about 1k so far. and I'm about to spend around 2k to finish up with lights, and so forth. but I built the stand and canopy, got the tanks and half the live rock for $300 and have the skimmer from the old tank plus the rock and corals and fish from there also, I would hate to think how much if I had to start with all new

grumpygils

Originally Posted by janastasio
Wow, nice tanks grumpygils. Thats why the hobby is addicting. It has to get bigger and better! I've spent about $5000 in 2 years, maybe more, not including electricity bill. MY husband says my SW tank was the start of our money woes! He isnt thinking about the pool table, kegarater, and other endless games in the basement that were added around the same time!!! I play the coral/fish for me, lighted beer sign for you, game!!!!!
And then when he's not looking buy something else anyway!! He'll be looking in the tank and say is that a new coral, and I'll say nooooo, that been there!!!!!
Unfortunatley, when I paypal, it is my wife's account so she gets and e-mail about it. I usually get a response via e-mail like "better be pretty and live" or "community college is fine for your kids"
Mc

threed240

Originally Posted by grumpygils
Unfortunatley, when I paypal, it is my wife's account so she gets and e-mail about it. I usually get a response via e-mail like "better be pretty and live" or "community college is fine for your kids"

Mc
HaHa! Thats great!
I usually shred my reciepts from the LFS. I can't go there without spending $100 everytime. I usually go once a month for something, although I am starting to make a little money off of my tank. I sell frags, or chaeto to my LFS for some instore credit. Two frags of Green Zoa's (20 polyps on each), and huge wad of cheato algea for a nice 6" Crocea clam wasn't bad.

chaoscat

Thanks so much for this guys. I'm gonna print this out and show it to my wife. Once she sees this, I should NEVER hear any grief about fish purchases again.
At this point, I've got about $800 into my 40 gallon reef. I don't have anywhere near the elaborate display and set up some of you guys have. My equipment is extremely basic, just a regular hang on back filter, an old style air powered protein skimmer and a powerhead pushing water around. It works for me. I don't attempt to keep delicate corals and the tank has no fish in it.

jtrzerocool

Originally Posted by Chaoscat
Thanks so much for this guys. I'm gonna print this out and show it to my wife. Once she sees this, I should NEVER hear any grief about fish purchases again.
At this point, I've got about $800 into my 40 gallon reef. I don't have anywhere near the elaborate display and set up some of you guys have. My equipment is extremely basic, just a regular hang on back filter, an old style air powered protein skimmer and a powerhead pushing water around. It works for me. I don't attempt to keep delicate corals and the tank has no fish in it.
my fience encourages it...