how to connect return pipe to pump?

reefforbrains

Depends on the pump. Larger pumps have threaded outputs. You interchange them for the needs.
Add a nippple and clamp on or pressure fit to a hose/soft pipe.
-or-
Thread in plumbing and hard plumb directly.

snakeblitz33

Are you using PVC or Vinyl?
If you are using vinyl, use a hose barb adaptor and fit the vinyl onto the hose barb and either clamp it with a hose clamp or zip ties.
What kind of pump are you using? Does it have a threaded outlet?
IF you are using PVC, use a male/female adaptor on your pump, then put a check valve on it, then use a union to make sure you can take the pump off and clean when you need to. Also, put a ball valve on the pipe so that you can control flow just incase.
of course, you also need elbows and an adaptor for your bulkhead too.
Any way you do it, you have to form a tight seal on the pump so that it can not slip off.

rdm

Mag 7 has a 1/2'' threaded male on the output and a 1/2'' female on the input.
Great pump, I have one.

sly

Originally Posted by SnakeBlitz33
http:///forum/post/2574176
Excuse me, What brand of pump are you using? Rio, eheim, mag drive etc?
That's not what I meant. I just quoted you because I was reiterating the question. You already asked what I was going to ask and so I just quoted you on it...

michaeltx

are you wanting to do this as a submerged pump or a external pump both ways are doable with this pump.
the bulkhead would go in the glass of either the aquarium to get water down from the top of out the sump to get water back up to the tank though.
is your tank drilled?
Mike

sly

All you need is a 1/2" threaded female coupling. s crew the coupling onto the pump and then press your return pipe into the other end of the coupling. It should fit snug enough to not need any PVC cement. Do you know what size pipe your return pipe is? If you go to Lowe's/Home Depot, just ask them for a 1/2" threaded female coupling...

tj28

No, its not drilled, I have an overflow box. Also, I plan to run it submerged, my sump is not drilled either.

sly

What kind of overflow do you have? Does it already have a pipe or are you doing this all from scratch?
I use a 1 inch return line but I think 3/4 is more common.

I just connected a mag 7 to my 3/4 inch return line. you can't find a converter from 1/2 to 3/4 in home depot or lowes. go to plumbing store with the pump and the overflow and just say you need to connect this to this. that's what i did.

tj28

Originally Posted by Sly
http:///forum/post/2575072
What kind of overflow do you have? Does it already have a pipe or are you doing this all from scratch?
I use a 1 inch return line but I think 3/4 is more common.
Its a Marineland Tidepool Overflow Skimmer, it has 2 flexible hoses and is rated for 600 gph. I would prefer not to use the hoses or connect pvc to them.

tj28

Originally Posted by niskyvaulter
http:///forum/post/2575275
I just connected a mag 7 to my 3/4 inch return line. you can't find a converter from 1/2 to 3/4 in home depot or lowes. go to plumbing store with the pump and the overflow and just say you need to connect this to this. that's what i did.
what did they give you and what did you use to put it together?

sly

Your return has a 1.25" PVC fitting on the end. You need:
  • 1/2" threaded female coupling (also called a 1/2 Inch Slip x FPT Adaptor) One side is smooth, the other side is threaded to fit onto your pump.
  • 1/2" diameter pvc pipe (small piece)
  • 1.25" to 1/2" slip adapter
  • 1.25" pvc pipe (small piece)
  • Liquid PVC cleaner
  • Liquid PVC cement
  • Teflon pipe tape
  • saw
[list type=decimal]Cut your 1.25" PVC pipe to about a 4" length. Clean both outside ends of the PVC pipe and the inside of your return line with the PVC cleaner. Press the pipe into your return line but do not glue it yet. You need to test fit all your pieces first.
Next, clean the insides of the 1.25" to 1/2" adapter with PVC cleaner.
Press the adapter onto the 1.25" pipe
Cut a 4" length of 1/2" diameter pvc pipe and clean the outsides with PVC cleaner
Press the 1/2" pvc pipe into your adapter fitting.
Clean the inside of your 1/2" threaded female coupling. You don't need to clean the threads, just the smooth mating surface.
Wrap teflon pipe tape around the threaded end of your pump. Looking down at the threads, wrap the tape clockwise. Go maybe 3 times around the threads. It doesn't need much. This will form a watertight seal.
S crew the adapter onto pump and then press the 1/2" pvc pipe and the adapter together
[/list type=decimal]Now everything should be hooked up. If it all fits properly then you can glue it all together. Take each piece apart except for the threaded adapter attached to your pump. Start from the top and work your way down. Smear an even amount of glue onto the inside of the 1.25" return line and the outside of your 1.25" pipe. Once both are coated, press them together and give them a slight twist. Go down the line and do the same with the rest of your parts. Put glue on both pieces you are gluing together. It doesn't take much, but be sure to coat each piece evenly.
Let everything dry for about an hour after you get it all glued together.