I.D. please

kindbuds2k

can anyone tell me what this might be. Ive had it awhile and it just keeps getting bigger and what looks like more hair. thanks

T

thomas712

Not sure unless you could get a close up but they almost look like hydroids to me.

T

thomas712

Well you can see them alot more clearly with your eyes than I can, do they look like this?

kindbuds2k

Sort of, but there is only one, and there has only been one, and its gotten bigger. It also has what looks like hair all over it, that traps the dust and other stuff floating in the tank.

T

thomas712

Those are Pink mouth hydroids, and no these are not in my tank, I have others that are more common dark brown. Not a good thing in large numbers.
Thomas

T

thomas712

Because they can sting fish and corals, and a fish stung soon becomes a meal for anything able to take it down.

kindbuds2k

Yeah im not sure that the orange thing is a hydroid, maybe this pic can tell better. It's also hard like a rock, if that makes a diff. This picture is of another rock that looks more like it has hydroids on it i think. Any help would be great. Thanks.

meisacao

I have one of those in my tank too, only it is a fuschia color. Shaped just like yours though. I still haven't figured out what it is. It's been in the tank for over a month and it hasn't hurt anything and it doesn't appear that it has grown any. If you figure out what it is let me know, cause i'm curious too. Sorry i can't help!

bang guy

Can you see anything under the Orange thing? Is it on a stalk of any type? It still looks like a sponge to me but Thomas' Hydroid picture is very similar looking.

ophiura

Although when considering the scale that would be extremely large compared to the hydroid picture?

fishrule

Originally Posted by kindbuds2k
Yeah im not sure that the orange thing is a hydroid, maybe this pic can tell better. It's also hard like a rock, if that makes a diff. This picture is of another rock that looks more like it has hydroids on it i think. Any help would be great. Thanks.
I also have the same things you do in the first pic... What are they?
I have a few pods in my tank that like to climb all over them...
Anyone figure these out yet?

L

lbaskball

It looks like a sponge to me. I have orange thing like that on my live rocks.