I feel like I'm at a crossroads... or maybe it's just an early mid-life crisis...

crimzy

I'm feeling like it may be time for a significant change in my life. While my home life, marriage and family are great, I am becoming increasingly dissatisfied with my current job. Among the 3 attorneys in my firm, including the boss, I am now handling roughly 60% of the caseload, including all trials, appeals and virtually every case that is litigated past the first pretrial. I also am the contact with pretty much every new client who comes in. When I took this position, my father's advice to me was to make myself indispensible at the firm... and I have definitely done that. The problem is that while I do relatively well, I am making my boss into a rich man. I'm becoming more and more frustrated because I am the provider for my family and I have to make sure that I do well enough for them to have the things we want. And being in a small firm, it comes to a point where if I want another $50K per year, then it's going to indirectly come out of my bosses pocket. I simply don't have the faith in him that he's willing to give up another $50 - $100K so that I can get to where I want to be. I just don't think that's going to happen. Although we do have a meeting scheduled for March 1, 2009 to discuss a partnership and where the firm is going. However I don't expect much as my boss is constantly talking about what he WILL DO for me in the future.
Anyway, so I've become pretty disenfranchised with my work so I'm thinking about what may be next. Wife and I have been talking about moving out of state. Our kids are young enough that they could adjust pretty easily... this may not be true if we stay here for another 5 years. The economy in Michigan sucks, the weather sucks and I've never lived anywhere else. So we've talked and I'm looking for the right position in Chicago, Florida or California. I'm very drawn to living by the ocean. Moving would be difficult as my wife is very close with her family but we are seriously considering taking the plunge if the opportunity is right.
I don't really have any question here... it's just pretty easy to share my thoughts here. I'm not doing anything quickly as it may take 6-12 months to find the right opportunity. Just thinking about a lot of things...

tank a holic

when I had a similar problem I said nothing to my management and took it upon myself to go "fishing around" if you will. I found an excellent job and turned in a resume. By the time the place got back to me and offered the job the situation had gotten much better at the job i had and i was promoted. The catch was that the new job still paid double and had better benefits even with the promotion. they asked me to stay and i respectfully declined but I was careful not to burn any bridges! I guess in short my advice is top see what's out there, keep building that resume with wins in the court room and see what they offer you in march it may or may not be better than what you find in the mean time

t316

Dude...I feel like you just wrote my script, except I am the boss. I think the economy is playing on a lot of people's minds right now.
For you, my first thought suggestion was to go out on your own, but bro....it's no better outside of your state right now. I would advise to be glad that you have a job for the moment and hold tight. Two of my customers that came in today were ex-IBM'ers that were making six figures just a few months ago, and did you read the news....IBM laid off another 1000 in the Triangle (here in NC) today.
Your career may not be dependent on this current economic situation...IDK, but I would bite the bullet until we pull out of this, then make your break. Just my .02

crimzy

Originally Posted by tank a holic
http:///forum/post/2932356
when I had a similar problem I said nothing to my management and took it upon myself to go "fishing around" if you will. I found an excellent job and turned in a resume. By the time the place got back to me and offered the job the situation had gotten much better at the job i had and i was promoted. The catch was that the new job still paid double and had better benefits even with the promotion. they asked me to stay and i respectfully declined but I was careful not to burn any bridges! I guess in short my advice is top see what's out there, keep building that resume with wins in the court room and see what they offer you in march it may or may not be better than what you find in the mean time
This sort of echoes my thought process, except that I'm not sure that there's anything that I could be offered that would change my perspective. He'd have to knock my socks off and I don't think that's going to happen. So I think I'm just going to fish around until I find something good and then go after it.
Originally Posted by T316

http:///forum/post/2932359
Dude...I feel like you just wrote my script, except I am the boss. I think the economy is playing on a lot of people's minds right now.
For you, my first thought suggestion was to go out on your own, but bro....it's no better outside of your state right now. I would advise to be glad that you have a job for the moment and hold tight. Two of my customers that came in today were ex-IBM'ers that were making six figures just a few months ago, and did you read the news....IBM laid off another 1000 in the Triangle (here in NC) today.
Your career may not be dependent on this current economic situation...IDK, but I would bite the bullet until we pull out of this, then make your break. Just my .02
Herein lies the fear. But I do believe that in any economy, there is always a market for talent. However I'm not going to jeopardize what I have now until I am have something else. I'm not gambling with my family's future.

t316

Originally Posted by crimzy
http:///forum/post/2932363
I'm not gambling with my family's future.
I did this once, when I left the "man" and went out on my own....but I was in my 20's. Although my first child was on the way, it was just my wife and I, and she had a secure job. It paid off for me, but it could have gone either way. But when you have a family, fixed bills, and a lifestyle that you/they have come to know, it probably makes the decision a little more intense.

socal57che

I think I may have your solution.
Considering your political views, you would fit in just fine out here in Ca.
Start your own firm and specialize in bankruptcy. There's plenty of that to go around right now.
The weather is top notch, but it has been cold for the last few days. (high 40s at night and 70s in the daytime)

crimzy

Originally Posted by socal57che
http:///forum/post/2932372
I think I may have your solution.
Considering your political views, you would fit in just fine out here in Ca.
Start your own firm and specialize in bankruptcy. There's plenty of that to go around right now.
The weather is top notch, but it has been cold for the last few days. (high 40s at night and 70s in the daytime)

I like it... except the part of starting my own firm. Been there, done that... The ups and downs are not for me with the family depending on a secure income.

socal57che

Originally Posted by crimzy
http:///forum/post/2932376
I like it... except the part of starting my own firm. Been there, done that... The ups and downs are not for me with the family depending on a secure income.
Looks like you'll be needing to forge a reference letter and send it to some existing firms out here.
did I just say that?

yearofthenick

I think you'd be much happier in Northern California. I've lived in both NorCal and SoCal, and much prefer NorCal... only because the people are calmer here, and it's a better place to raise your kids than LA. If you could find a job in Sacramento or something, that would be cool. Sacramento is like an hour from Lake Tahoe. Or San Francisco.
But seriously, if I had to choose between LA and SF, I'd go SF. There are tons of gays in SF but the crime is considerably lower... better school systems in NorCal also.
Check out Blackhawk... it's like the best place to live around here.

stdreb27

If you leave your or her family to live some where with no one, you'll get bored and be back where you started... Unless they follow you down there...

crimzy

Thanks for the replies people. I really like the idea of Chicago, (even though it's cold and there's no ocean, it's still a great city). NoCal would also be very cool. I've heard great things about the San Fran and Monterey areas. However I think that my first choice would be Florida. The weather is good, it's on the coast and it's a simple 2 hour flight from here. A lot of our family members regularly travel to Florida as it is.
I hear what you're saying Streb... I've thought about it myself. I cannot uproot my family and find some great professional opportunity only to get homesick and want to come home shortly thereafter. I don't think this is going to happen, though. Wife and I have discussed this and agree that if me make the move then it will be permanent. This is the reason that it's crucial to find the right location for us to do this...

spiderwoman

I'd suggest going on your own if you weren't the sole breadwinner in the family. There is so much to think about when you starting the dreams of moving to a different state, let alone inside your current state...
- can you sell you house for at least a decent price
- can you survive without a job for a few months if you don't have another job secured
- how much does it cost to relocate if your new company isn't picking the bill
- cost of living in the new place vs current place
Just a few practical things to think about.

snakeblitz33

Here's what I think:
Find another job that will take you. Then, consider how moving is going to affect you.
Then, go into your boss's office and ask for a raise and tell him why you deserve one or else you are leaving and you found another job opportunity.
If he doesn't give you a raise (or the raise that you deserve) - then leave. There's no reason why you should stay with a firm that you don't like.

spanko

However if the real reason is that you don't like where you are, even if you got the raise you desire some where along the road you are not going to be happy there. Money is a short term motivator, especially in the situation where you are not happy in the environment you are working in.

coral keeper

Move to California! There are LOTS of local reefers in the Sacramento area in California. I live in Sacramento, CA.
Also, the weather is GREAT in Sacramento.