I get to get my new tank in 2 years

ironeagle2006

My wife and I after finding out that this place that we are living in should be condemend are MOVING freaking again. However after looking at 13 places getting pre qualified for a mortage and placing a bid on the one we like the best WE CLOSE NExT MONTH YES. Now the big question I get a space to use for my dream tank I also do not have to sell my current one that one will become a reef setup. Now what should I do use the poll questions to help me decide on size and remember I have soon to be 3 kids with 2 under 4 so Acrylic is OUT and the house is slab built so no issues with the tank going thru to the basement think of it already in the basement.

ironeagle2006

Called having to save close to 6-7K for the sucker. I am forgoing a new car for another 3 years to get it that tell you anything.

flower

Do you really think you can save for a fish tank, when you have small children, and an older car will need repair to keep it going. A new house is going to need curtains, decorations, and most likely a few repairs to call it home...remodeling maybe??? Upgrading the plumbing etc..etc..
Do you have storage at the new place??...when you get a free buck, buy something for the tank, a skimmer...the filter..lights...over the next 3 years. Everything but rock, live sand and fish. You aready have a tank to mess with for now...
By buying stuff slow you wont feel the crunch so bad...and you won't be looking at thousands of dollars in savings held for fish while the family bites the bullet. Just my2 bits for what it's worth.

ironeagle2006

Already doing stuff like that NOW. Have 300 lbs of base rock in storage now. 250 lbs of base sand also in storage getting lights next year with taxes ASM G4+ skimmer and the pump next year. What I do is I set aside 75 a month out of my SSDI for quipment for my tank and use that for what I need. When I have enough for what I need I get something for this tank however major purchases I get with my tax returns. I also do computer repairs and enter Triva tourneys on the side for extra cash. Be amazed how much cash you can get with that stuff most months I make about 300 extra. I do ok just I am trying to decide how big I want to go called I get one shot at this and wnat to get the biggest one I CAN GET. I have 8 feet of wall I can use and a max width of 36 inches plus about 5 inches for wires and hoses so that makes the tank width 36 inches see and I want to keep the tank about 30 inches to a max of 36 inches or so in depth. I have been in planning stages for about 3 years and now have the space for it now it is about time to get the sucker.

meowzer

Good luck with that....I am wayyyyy too impatient to plan something that far ahead..
Personally though I would go with the shorter tank...I have a 30" and can not reach halfway down....

cranberry

Do not start buying stuff until the tank is imminent. It's definity better to save the money. If you see a skimmer you like, put that much money away. Products will change in that much time. You may change your mind on the products you buy. I have a beautiful 4 way oceans motions (400+) and a big ole 1000 dollar HQI light, but things and plans changed and now I don't have a use for them... never mind the Reefkeeper elite (500). I'm putting the prices in there so you can see how much useless money I spent.
Listen to someone who did it.... do NOT start buying equipment now. It sounds nice on paper for those who have not done it, but it was one of the biggest mistakes I made.
But you can never go wrong with buying rock, IMO. I buy it when I see a deal or see a piece I really really like and put it in my tote (which is a 55 acrylic tank). I keep that thing cycled with leftover fish.

aquaknight

Originally Posted by Cranberry
http:///forum/post/3094708
Do not start buying stuff until the tank is imminent. It's definity better to save the money. If you see a skimmer you like, put that much money away. Products will change in that much time. You may change your mind on the products you buy. I have a beautiful 4 way oceans motions (400+) and a big ole 1000 dollar HQI light, but things and plans changed and now I don't have a use for them... never mind the Reefkeeper elite (500). I'm putting the prices in there so you can see how much useless money I spent.
Listen to someone who did it.... do NOT start buying equipment now. It sounds nice on paper for those who have not done it, but it was one of the biggest mistakes I made.
But you can never go wrong with buying rock, IMO. I buy it when I see a deal or see a piece I really really like and put it in my tote (which is a 55 acrylic tank). I keep that thing cycled with leftover fish.
+1 to an extent. I think it's going to depend on where you want to go with the tank. If you just what a big FOWLR, you can start collecting some things, sump, heater(s), return pumps, but I would agree to hold off on the skimmer and any powerheads. We're all probably going to be using cone skimmers here in the next few years, pricing will come down on them and you'll be able to skim circles around that G4+. If you happen to score a great deal on lighting, since it's not really going to matter for a FO go for it. Even when I was fish only, I still had halides...
But I would also agree don't buy anything with a computer chip inside....
As far as tank size, why 8 footers? I think many of us aggressive guys' dream tank would be at least 10 feet. Give those tangs and wrasses some room.
. A 120"x30"x30" is only 467 gallons, so it wouldn't be that much more tank, but you increase the length by 25%.

cranberry

I now have a 1/3 chiller I don't need and a pump that will be too strong ... geez, the more I think about it the sadder I feel.
Your basics like heaters etc.....

And $200 worth of plumbing *cries*. For some odd reason I decided to log the cost of the tank that will never be set up as intended. *double cries*.

R

rcreations

I can't think 2 years ahead, but good luck with the new tank. As always the bigger the better, as long as you're willing to spend the money and the work to maintain it.

ironeagle2006

Easy the only wall that is aviable to me is 102 inches LONG so that means with a doorway on the other end that goes into the kitchen and the otherway is my daughters closet. Sorta limits me the other wall is has the electrical panel on it and the other one is the entry way with the back door on it. Not the best place for a tank and I am not going to build an addtion just for a fish tank I think I would wind up DIVROVCED IF I DID. So that gives me that spot I have. At least my wife has not forbade me to keep it under 300 gallons or 8 feet in length.

flower

Originally Posted by ironeagle2006
http:///forum/post/3094682
Already doing stuff like that NOW. Have 300 lbs of base rock in storage now. 250 lbs of base sand also in storage getting lights next year with taxes ASM G4+ skimmer and the pump next year. What I do is I set aside 75 a month out of my SSDI for quipment for my tank and use that for what I need. When I have enough for what I need I get something for this tank however major purchases I get with my tax returns. I also do computer repairs and enter Triva tourneys on the side for extra cash. Be amazed how much cash you can get with that stuff most months I make about 300 extra. I do ok just I am trying to decide how big I want to go called I get one shot at this and wnat to get the biggest one I CAN GET. I have 8 feet of wall I can use and a max width of 36 inches plus about 5 inches for wires and hoses so that makes the tank width 36 inches see and I want to keep the tank about 30 inches to a max of 36 inches or so in depth. I have been in planning stages for about 3 years and now have the space for it now it is about time to get the sucker.

LOL I have a 90g tank, I can only servce it on my tiptoes from a step stool...so for a tank that big you might have to budget in a wet suite.
I say then ...go for the biggest!

flower

http:///forum/post/3094708
You make a really good point...I would have never thought of equipment going obsolete, or just better stuff coming out in a few years...So I change my opinion.

ironeagle2006

Hell could be worse I could have to get rid of my tank but I am getting to DOUBLE OR MAYBE TRIPLE THE SIZE OF IT. What more could a guy ask for.

ironeagle2006

I love my wife she told me I can get the 450. Now the fun begins anyone know where Crimzy has been recently so I can get some ideas on what I will freaking need for this sucker since his tank is what I am going to be getting. I am so glad that my floor at the new house is a 10 inches of CONCRETE I am going to be needing it I think.

ironeagle2006

http:///forum/post/3096136
*holds up the $35 dollar Tru Union Valve and then breaks down and cries some more*
Sound great.
Sorry Cran called my wife loves SWF also her and I want the LARGEST tank we can get into the HOUSE. Did the measurements and the 450 will fit into the room with no mods also on a 30 inch stand. What is going to suck is plumbing the SUCKER considering I have to keep everything in the stand. ASM G6 be a large enough skimmer I HOPE. 125 gallon sump/fuge 3500 gph pump 2100gph CL and 4 Korilla 8 be enough flow I am hoping. For lights I am planning on running 4 4 ft T-5 HO's each set up with 216 watts in each unit.