I got a letter from the democrats.

T

tizzo

Oh! HI SoCal!!
I miss you guys, it's just takes me longer than others to get used to and then comfortable with the change here. I feel lost!!

reefraff

Quote:
Originally Posted by socal57che http:///forum/thread/381128/i-got-a-letter-from-the-democrats/40#post_3319217
Oh, and medical marijuana already exists and is approved by the FDA. It's called marinol. You don't need to smoke dope to get medical marijuana. Just need to have a real doctor prescribe marinol.
http://www.justice.gov/dea/ongoing/marinol.html
One of the things that really annoys me about the whole medical marijuana thing is that they claim the pill form doesn't work and smoking the "real thing" is all that will work. The suckers pass medical MJ and the "stores" are selling every thing from pastries to olive oil made from it. Gimme a break.

socal57che

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefraff http:///forum/thread/381128/i-got-a-letter-from-the-democrats/40#post_3319260
One of the things that really annoys me about the whole medical marijuana thing is that they claim the pill form doesn't work and smoking the "real thing" is all that will work. The suckers pass medical MJ and the "stores" are selling every thing from pastries to olive oil made from it. Gimme a break.
Marinol works, but you don't get to be cool in front of your buddies smoking dope with a permit. Anybody can get a prescription if they have a legitimate need. The new dope law is for the dope smokers looking for an excuse to feel like they are getting away with something.

reefraff

One of my online buddies is a MD who I know smokes once in a while. He says other than Chemo and one other condition that I don't recall now their is no legitimate use for MJ for medical uses. He isn't the first time I've heard a pot friendly doc call BS on medical MJ. Like I said before, if those who want to use it are able to have the THC in their system used as evidence of DUI or can be fired for failing a work required drug test legalize the stuff. It will put some gang bangers out of business.

aquaknight

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheClemsonKid http:///forum/thread/381128/i-got-a-letter-from-the-democrats/20#post_3319101
You are right about the price of pot dropping. However, I have to imagine the amount of people who would start to smoke, or smoke again simply because they could, would make up a lot of the difference in lost revenue from the price drop alone.
And how can you say having a beer or glass of wine has no effect on you whatsoever? Unless you have a magical body that somehow metabolizes different than every other human out there, you are somewhat impaired regardless of how much you have. I imagine one glass of wine has about the same effect and one or two hits of pot. It's the people who choose to smoke an entire joint, or drink an entire bottle of wine who are the problem.
And I think you grossly underestimate the laziness of the average American. You use home brewing as an example. Sure, there are a very small group of people who will make their own beer, but when you compare that to the amount that go out through the bars and your local grocers cooler, it's not even close to being a usable argument. You could argue the same about food preparation, yet McDonalds will always be a billion dollar company. Given the choice, the lazy American will always choose to have someone do it for them...
Especially something as time consuming as growing your own pot...
This is gonna start getting into schematics, but a beer with dinner or a glass of wine (not talking about some huge goblet) will have very limited effects. That's why the BAC limit for driving is 0.08. The point of which consuming alcohol inhibits your driving abilities. Having either of the mentioned, will not put you over that limit. I was around weed a lot in college, as I'm sure you were too, but no one really only takes 1-2 hits of joint. Even the people in my circles that really aren't smokers would take multiple hits. And on that note, the legalization of weed would also mean that marijuana paraphernalia, bongs and bowls, would also be legal, both of which deliever must stronger affects then joints....
I used the home-brewing example because one of the "main positive claims" about legalizing pot is that it would be heavily regulated by the government as a source of tax revenue, which would effectively ban people from growing pot for personal issue. But a lot of people wanted to home-brew, so they petition their government, and now homebrewing is legal most anyway. How long before the legalize of weed before the same type movement?
McDonalds is a billion-dollar a year company because of the simple fact that everyone has to eat, something, to live. No one has to smoke pot, or drink alcohol to continue to stay alive. I really don't believe that most Americans eat out all the time. I imagine 99% of the American eats out some, and cooks meals at home. My belief is that if given the option, most people who would use weed, would do something similar, grow their own when they can, and buy when they can't.