I HATE AMPHIPODS

1snapple

Okay, lets start at the beginning.
a couple weeks back i traded a local reefer for a frag of utter chaos zoos.
I put them in my 3g pico, display picture, and over a weeks time 1 polyp out of 3 opened slightly, then 2 polyps opened slightly.
After 2 weeks they weren't opening and it was very irritating, everything else in the tank was growin great.
I noticed an amphipod always on the zoos.
After another week I noticed that as the amphipod was there, he was EATING the zoo!!!!

I now hate this stupid amphipod.
The rest of the zoos have been moved into a large 95g tank with tons of predators for amphipods.

J

jstdv8

I have loads of aphis and loads of zoas, no problem. must have got the evil one

nikesb

this has happened to me and a couple of others. i treated my tank with interceptor and have not had a problem since. i have noticed that there are some amphipods running around again, but none go on the zoas. I wrote an article about it to see how many people noticed the same thing, and there were alot of people replying.

meowzer

YUP...I believe this is what happened to a colony of zoas I had once too......have not had an issue with any others thank goodness

flower

I had no idea amphipods ate zoa. Is it possible that they only eat them after running out of whatever they regularly eat? I have never had a problem with them that I know of. I always assumed it was something else that caused the zoa colony to start disappearing.

meowzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower http:///forum/thread/385451/i-hate-amphipods#post_3380413

I had no idea amphipods ate zoa. Is it possible that they only eat them after running out of whatever they regularly eat? I have never had a problem with them that I know of. I always assumed it was something else that caused the zoa colony to start disappearing.
IDK, I feed my tanks pretty well..LOL...IDK if you remember when I lost 2 green zoas colony's ...NEVER found anything on them......Lots of people will say NOOOO, BUT I really believe that podscan and will munch on them periodically

bang guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower http:///forum/thread/385451/i-hate-amphipods#post_3380413

It's a different species of Amphipod than what you have. There are only a few species that can eat coral and most of those are really small.

nikesb

their jobs are easily taken up by bristle worms. i lost purple hornets, toxic lava PEs, and 3 other rare zoas to the amphipods. dont get me wrong, my entire population of pods didnt die at all. but the ones constantly found on my zoas are nowhere to be seen in the past 2 months. theres other amphipods running around though

flower

The only time I have ever seen one that close is when I clean my filters. They look like little shrimp...that looks like a roach..do they look like shrimp when they are out of water?

nikesb

they pretty much look like a small shrimp. but the ones on the zoas are much larger than your average amphipod. the ones i had had stripes as well

C

coral guy

my lfs had a bunch of ampipods and those critters killed 3 huge coiony of zoas they like cut their stalks and and ate the zoa

1snapple

Mine just buried it's head in from the top and devoured. My zoos aren't going to make it

I won't be able to get more for a couple more weeks.
Got in glass today for a new 18g build

kiefers

I have literally, well.... alot of these lil critters in my tank! Shu!! But they haven't touched my zoa's .......................yet