I have 3 things that need to be "ID'd"

The first is a coral, ive had it for months, but never knew the name of it or even what it is. i started with 2 little ones and now there is about 4 on the cork. anyone know the name?

second question is, what are these little things? they grow everywhere, on my pumps, rocks, on the back wall, in my refuigum. i dont know what they are, or what they do or if they are even hazardous.

and my 3rd question is what is the clown called? i got him at work because his stripes were abnormal, just wondering if it was called something or just a regular true perc

if anyone can answer any of my questions that would be awesome :)

flower

LOL..Well here are my guesses, I'm not great with ID
the first one looks like an acan to me.
I THINK those a copepods (I have only seen pictures my eyes are too bad to have seen any live ones, but then I saw one the other day in my tank and I THINK that is what it was.)
Yes percula clown fish.

scott t

First pic looks like some kind of Acanthastrea, The second one I am not sure of and the Third looks like a Semi Picasso Clown.. I could be wrong but that is what my guesses would be.. Hope others with more EXP jump in and give their Opinion!!
HTH,
Scott

So I searched, and the first coral is an acan, so thanks for that

and the second thing are "pineapple sponges", and i found out that they help clean the water and its awesome to have them

so now just need a sure answer on the clown

btldreef

The clown looks like it's an ORA mutation, check out their website:
http://www.orafarm.com/clownfish.html

1guydude

well watever kind of clown he is, i think hes awsome looking! Look under the store pictures on this site.
Wats the diff between false and true perculias?

scott t

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1guyDude http:///forum/thread/386418/i-have-3-things-that-need-to-be-id-d#post_3394141
well watever kind of clown he is, i think hes awsome looking! Look under the store pictures on this site.
Wats the diff between false and true perculias?
Actually False Percula is a slang term for Amphiprion ocellaris. What the difference of this is I really am not sure but they are colored different, and there is something else to that I can not remember right now. lol There are some that you ask that will tell you there is no such thing as a False Percula that it is a Amphiprion ocellaris!!!! lol

btldreef

I would be one of those people.
There is absolutely no such thing as a False Percula, and it makes me crazy that even this site labels the Ocellaris as such. They are two different species and often can not be mixed, so using the term Percula for an Ocellaris can really be misleading.
Anyways, Percula's usually turn darker and have more black, as well as a more yellow-orange color on them as they mature, which the Ocellaris usually have a brighter orange (almost a red-orange with some tank bred ones) and less black color to them. The black lines are more definitive on an Ocellaris than on a Percula, as the Percula's lines often fade into the rest of the body as they mature. There is a difference in the dorsal spines, but most hobbyists can't see it easily. The eyes are also different, but I forget what the main characteristic is between the two. From experience, I personally think that Ocellaris are slightly easier and less aggressive.
Here's what the two look like side by side (photos are from ORA):
Ocellaris: Percula:

its sort of hard to feed this guy though. he wont eat pellets or flakes. i've tried brine and no luck, and he seems to eat mysis, but i don't think its enough. any suggestions?

scott t

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTLDreef http:///forum/thread/386418/i-have-3-things-that-need-to-be-id-d#post_3394155
I would be one of those people.
There is absolutely no such thing as a False Percula, and it makes me crazy that even this site labels the Ocellaris as such. They are two different species and often can not be mixed, so using the term Percula for an Ocellaris can really be misleading.
Anyways, Percula's usually turn darker and have more black, as well as a more yellow-orange color on them as they mature, which the Ocellaris usually have a brighter orange (almost a red-orange with some tank bred ones) and less black color to them. The black lines are more definitive on an Ocellaris than on a Percula. There is a difference in the dorsal spines, but most hobbyists can't see it easily. The eyes are also different, but I forget what the main characteristic is between the two. From experience, I personally think that Ocellaris are slightly easier and less aggressive.
Here's what the two look like side by side (photos are from ORA):
Ocellaris: Percula:
Wow, BTLD I guess all that research I have done has help some, you think so? It amaze me that I get things right sometimes. Yes, I knew the other difference was to do with the dorsal spines but just couldnt think of it, I knew that I had read that on the boards here, but you know its late and I have been up since 6 30 am so the mind is not working as well as it should..

btldreef

Quote:
Originally Posted by cameraman954 http:///forum/thread/386418/i-have-3-things-that-need-to-be-id-d#post_3394159
its sort of hard to feed this guy though. he wont eat pellets or flakes. i've tried brine and no luck, and he seems to eat mysis, but i don't think its enough. any suggestions?
Mysis is actually better than Brine, Pellets or Flakes.
I refuse to feed pellets or flakes, it just pollutes the tank and holds little nutritional value to the fish.
What else is in the tank with him?
Keep in mind that he's new to the tank, so the fact that he is eating at all is a good thing. Most fish won't eat while their still acclimating to a new environment.

my boss had him listed at $29.99. someone brought it to the store on Sunday, I went to work on Monday, saw it, then as soon as my shift ended, grabbed him. So ive had him since Monday afternoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTLDreef http:///forum/thread/386418/i-have-3-things-that-need-to-be-id-d#post_3394161
Mysis is actually better than Brine, Pellets or Flakes.
I refuse to feed pellets or flakes, it just pollutes the tank and holds little nutritional value to the fish.
What else is in the tank with him?
Keep in mind that he's new to the tank, so the fact that he is eating at all is a good thing. Most fish won't eat while their still acclimating to a new environment.
i orginally only had a ocellaris clown and a yellow watchman goby. The clown was picking on him too much, it wasn't like normal, so i took the original clown out and put him in. i noticed today the yellow watchman is picking on him, but only if he gets near him