I have 3 things that need to be "ID'd"

btldreef

Quote:
Originally Posted by cameraman954 http:///forum/thread/386418/i-have-3-things-that-need-to-be-id-d#post_3394163
i orginally only had a ocellaris clown and a yellow watchman goby. The clown was picking on him too much, it wasn't like normal, so i took the original clown out and put him in. i noticed today the yellow watchman is picking on him, but only if he gets near him
The original clown was picking on the new clown, or the goby?
Yellow Watchmen Gobies can be VERY territorial. I had one that just went rogue on me. He killed his mate, killed my mandarin, ripped the eye out of my Dragon Goby, and attacked just about every fish in my tank. He even tore up my 9" Sailfin tangs pectoral fin.
Try feeding Marine Cuisine. It's a frozen cube food made by San Francisco Bay Brand. Keep feeding the mysis as well. Mysis is actually one of the best things you can feed carnivorous and omnivorous saltwater fish. Keep in mind that Clownfish are actually omnivores and do need a little bit of greens in their diet, and for that reason, I highly recommend Emerald Entree, which is also made by SFBB. Both are awesome foods and I swear by them. My clowns will even eat algae sheets.

scott t

Quote:
Originally Posted by cameraman954 http:///forum/thread/386418/i-have-3-things-that-need-to-be-id-d/20#post_3394170
i've been debating between snowflake or picasso. i've seen pictures of snowflakes and his stripes aren't jagged like the ORA one's. so thats why I think its on the picasso side more
I am now leaning with the snowflake because of the color, the Piccaso is more black on it then the Snowflake. Its just the coloration of your fish compared to the Piccaso, could be wrong but, yeah I have to agree with BTLD, looks more like the Snowflake... lol

btldreef

Quote:
Originally Posted by cameraman954 http:///forum/thread/386418/i-have-3-things-that-need-to-be-id-d/20#post_3394170
i've been debating between snowflake or picasso. i've seen pictures of snowflakes and his stripes aren't jagged like the ORA one's. so thats why I think its on the picasso side more
ORA is who started these guys, but since their some easy to breed, more and more people have them, and then the variations aren't as easy to see as the ORA pictures. Google some other images. ORA is a good starting point, but many people end up with clowns, even from ORA that don't look identical. The black outline against the white has me really questioning whether it's a Picasso or a Snowflake. It's still young, so it's harder to tell.

btldreef

This picture has me really second guessing:
https://www.saltwaterfish.com/ORA-Premium-Snowflake-Clownfish--Aquacultured_p_2593.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTLDreef http:///forum/thread/386418/i-have-3-things-that-need-to-be-id-d/20#post_3394171
The original clown was picking on the new clown, or the goby?
Yellow Watchmen Gobies can be VERY territorial. I had one that just went rogue on me. He killed his mate, killed my mandarin, ripped the eye out of my Dragon Goby, and attacked just about every fish in my tank. He even tore up my 9" Sailfin tangs pectoral fin.
Try feeding Marine Cuisine. It's a frozen cube food made by San Francisco Bay Brand. Keep feeding the mysis as well. Mysis is actually one of the best things you can feed carnivorous and omnivorous saltwater fish. Keep in mind that Clownfish are actually omnivores and do need a little bit of greens in their diet, and for that reason, I highly recommend Emerald Entree, which is also made by SFBB. Both are awesome foods and I swear by them. My clowns will even eat algae sheets.
the original clown was picking at the new clown. it was normal picking like when claiming dominance, it was an aggressive kind, but the new clown is weird because he doesn't fight back or show any aggression. he just swims against the glass all day and night, going up and down.
I work in the morning so ill pick up some of the marine cuisine. i've been trying to get the watchman out but he's too fast. i would have to break down my tank to catch him. he was never aggressive, but all of the sudden both fish become aggressive to the new clown. i got one out, just need to get the goby out

tangs rule

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1guyDude http:///forum/thread/386418/i-have-3-things-that-need-to-be-id-d#post_3394141
well watever kind of clown he is, i think hes awsome looking! Look under the store pictures on this site.
Wats the diff between false and true perculias?
Ocellaris clowns have an orange base color and 3 white bars that circle the body. Their orange color is usually lighter in color than percula. Their fins and borders between the orange & white are edged in VERY fine black lines, or none, with white touching orange. This coloration will not alter much by age of the ocellaris clown, and he has 11 bones/spines in the dorsal fin.
Percula Clownfish have the same basic coloration, but a thicker black border around the white areas - in which the black may grow into the orange areas and turn them black with age. . The orange coloration of a percula may be darker in hue than ocellaris. As the percula fish mature, they usually further darken on the upper 2/3's of their body to an orange brown or even black. The Percula has 10 bones/spines in the dorsal fin
BUT - there has been so much "inter-breeding" of both species, with intermixing, and a breeding focus on assymetrical patterns/washed out patterns/spots/solids, hybrids, picassos, and focus on "different" than natural body color lines that really anymore any captive
bred clown can only be determined by dorsal fin bone count. Most live caught species can still be determined between the 2 types by their colors alone.
There are no "false perculas", as false percula refers to the ocellaris breed, but false percula is easier to pronounce than ocellaris. Again - there are no false perculas

btldreef

Quote:
Originally Posted by cameraman954 http:///forum/thread/386418/i-have-3-things-that-need-to-be-id-d/20#post_3394176
the original clown was picking at the new clown. it was normal picking like when claiming dominance, it was an aggressive kind, but the new clown is weird because he doesn't fight back or show any aggression. he just swims against the glass all day and night, going up and down.
I work in the morning so ill pick up some of the marine cuisine. i've been trying to get the watchman out but he's too fast. i would have to break down my tank to catch him. he was never aggressive, but all of the sudden both fish become aggressive to the new clown. i got one out, just need to get the goby out
The previous clown, are you positive which species it was, this may be your answer as to whether you have a picasso, which is a percula with a mutation, or a snowflake, which is an ocellaris.

I'm sure. It was this clown
Just a tad bit darker. No black outline on it like a true perc. Exactly like the picture just a little darker

and I noticed his top fin was straight up when I introduced the new clown, and now that the ocellaris is a new tank, it got lighter and his fin is down

btldreef

Quote:
Originally Posted by cameraman954 http:///forum/thread/386418/i-have-3-things-that-need-to-be-id-d/20#post_3394184
and I noticed his top fin was straight up when I introduced the new clown, and now that the ocellaris is a new tank, it got lighter and his fin is down
Don't go by the look of the dorsal fin in the ORA pictures, it's deceiving. If you look at other Percula photos, you'll see the dorsal fin up more than the ORA photo.
Do you plan on pairing this fish, or just leaving it as one clown in the tank? If you plan on pairing, you really need to figure out what you have, if not, it ultimately won't matter except for you wanting to know. As it matures, you'll be able to determine which it is, but sometimes it's harder to pair once the fish is mature. Is it large enough for you to count the dorsal spines? I could never count mine, and I know mine are Ocellaris. They just don't stay still long enough.

the new clown is much bigger than my old clown. as i'm looking at the old clown, he's too small to really count the spines. his top fin is like 95% of the time up. i don't plan on pairing them. I just took the old clown out and put him in a separate tank because I rather keep the new clown. I've only had the old down for about a matter of 3 months. not too long. I want to try and find another clown whose younger than the one I have. perhaps a true perc or something that will be compatible with my new one. Any suggestions?

btldreef

Quote:
Originally Posted by cameraman954 http:///forum/thread/386418/i-have-3-things-that-need-to-be-id-d/20#post_3394190
the new clown is much bigger than my old clown. as i'm looking at the old clown, he's too small to really count the spines. his top fin is like 95% of the time up. i don't plan on pairing them. I just took the old clown out and put him in a separate tank because I rather keep the new clown. I've only had the old down for about a matter of 3 months. not too long. I want to try and find another clown whose younger than the one I have. perhaps a true perc or something that will be compatible with my new one. Any suggestions?
Ahhh, there's the issue. If you introduce a new clown, it should be smaller. You introduced a larger clown, so your original clown, which is a female, went after this new one, which is probably also a female, with a vengeance to establish territory. This was not "let's pair up, but I'm going to make sure you're suited to be my mate," this was, "I'm top clown in this tank, and you're going to die."
I wouldn't pair anything with this new guy until we figure out exactly what he is. The other one, try a smaller one of the same species, she'll accept that more readily, and the new, smaller addition will become the male in the pairing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTLDreef http:///forum/thread/386418/i-have-3-things-that-need-to-be-id-d/20#post_3394192
Ahhh, there's the issue. If you introduce a new clown, it should be smaller. You introduced a larger clown, so your original clown, which is a female, went after this new one, which is probably also a female, with a vengeance to establish territory. This was not "let's pair up, but I'm going to make sure you're suited to be my mate," this was, "I'm top clown in this tank, and you're going to die."
I wouldn't pair anything with this new guy until we figure out exactly what he is. The other one, try a smaller one of the same species, she'll accept that more readily, and the new, smaller addition will become the male in the pairing.
well ive looked all lots of pictures of snowflakes, as did I for Picassos and im sure its in the Picsso mutation. Snowflakes seems to have more of jagged stripes, while picassos have more of a puzzle piece stripe. My clown looks closer to that