I hope I can swim.... (First venture into Saltwater 29g build)

S

siptang

You need to scrape it off and you can kill the calcium amount in the water but if you do that it will be the death for corals....

You need to scrape it off and you can kill the calcium amount in the water but if you do that it will be the death for corals....
Sounds like your saying there is no way to have a reef without the constant battle of coraline taking over

snakeblitz33

Ive never heard the phrase "battle against coralline" before. Most people want it to grow and cover the rocks. It does look pretty over time. I remember you came from a serious freshwater background. Coralline algae is a simple fact of life in reefkeeping. Its desirable and looks good over time. If you dont like it on your glass, scrape it off. If you dont like it on your equipment, give it a quick vinegar bath and scrub it off. I would dare to say its nearly impossible yo have a reef without coralline.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakeBlitz33 http:///t/390512/i-hope-i-can-swim-first-venture-into-saltwater-29g-build/260#post_3491116
Ive never heard the phrase "battle against coralline" before. Most people want it to grow and cover the rocks. It does look pretty over time. I remember you came from a serious freshwater background. Coralline algae is a simple fact of life in reefkeeping. Its desirable and looks good over time. If you dont like it on your glass, scrape it off. If you dont like it on your equipment, give it a quick vinegar bath and scrub it off. I would dare to say its nearly impossible yo have a reef without coralline.
I don't like coraline all over the rock either...it makes it all look the same and the diversity in the rock colors look nicer IMO...some coraline is awesome, but over time when it is on EVERYTHING but the front glass, it really makes the tank look blah. Like you said it is inevitable. A diadema urchin is what eats coraline, but it takes a ton of algae to keep one alive and they get HUGE fast. LOL...I learned to live with coraline.

Yep i did come from a freshwater background. I selected my rocks because i liked the colors and textures of that rock. Now im going to loose all that because its going to be encrusted with a nuisance algae that you have to live with. I dont even know why i bothered to hand pick rocks if its just gonna gonna get hidden by algae. Guess you can tell i dont fit into the "most people " group LOL

I don't like coraline all over the rock either...it makes it all look the same and the diversity in the rock colors look nicer IMO...some coraline is awesome, but over time when it is on EVERYTHING but the front glass, it really makes the tank look blah. Like you said it is inevitable. A diadema urchin is what eats coraline, but it takes a ton of algae to keep one alive and they get HUGE fast. LOL...I learned to live with coraline.
Nice to see im not the only one that doesnt like this stuff. Its a shame there isnt a smaller critter to wipe this algae out. I dont know if i can learn to live with it. Km debating if i want to continue with salt or just go back to fresh and start a planted tank.

Numbers should be good.. .I just did a water change yesterday... or maybe it was the day before. After working 16hrs straight... the last couple days just seem one big blur. Currently only have the basic tests so couldn't tell ya what the phophates are.

After I go to bed and get up again I'll run the numbers for ya. Right now Im so tired I might think the bottles are eye drops to help me focus and that would be bad. Three more hours and Im off to meet my pillow... and that's providing my head dont smack the desk first.

First photo is of my sand bed and the second photo is my rockwork.
Talk about ugly. How do I get rid of it. I have the same inhabitants. 3 fish, 1 Shrimp, 1 Feather Duster, and a bit of Macro Algae.
My numbers as of 5 minutes ago
Amonia - 0
Nitrites - 0
Nitrates - 0
PH - around 8.2

meowzer

Looks like cyano....what are your phosphate readings? What do you feed? How is your flow? What do you use for water (ro/di?)
you need to siphon it out, and find the problem......it is a task...but can be done :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by meowzer http:///t/390512/i-hope-i-can-swim-first-venture-into-saltwater-29g-build/260#post_3496454
Looks like cyano....what are your phosphate readings? What do you feed? How is your flow? What do you use for water (ro/di?)
you need to siphon it out, and find the problem......it is a task...but can be done :)
Dont have test's for phosphates. I am running Phos Zorb in my filter. I feed a mix of frozen and flake. I had a 520 pointed right at the sand and all it did was dig a hole. The area around it still had the cyno. Im using filtered water not RODI. I cant justify wasting the amount of water a RODI unit does.